Horizon has 2 confirmed legionnaires cases in July/August

TS4IA

On 8/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, chengkp75 said:

The most common culprit is the shower head, as water and air exist here when it is off, and legionella can grow there.  Then, when you turn on the shower, it aerosolizes the water and bacteria, and you inhale it.  This is why CDC requires, in their VSP, that all shower heads be taken off and sanitized twice a year.

Is there any reason for the average homeowner to sanitize the shower head in their home bathroom?  Does it matter if one is on city water or well water?

1 hour ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Is there any reason for the average homeowner to sanitize the shower head in their home bathroom?  Does it matter if one is on city water or well water?

No, it doesn't matter where the water is sourced.  The same condition can happen for a homeowner, a shower head is a shower head.  If you want to do this, use a gallon bucket of water and add about 1 ounce of household bleach.  This creates a 100ppm solution.  Take the shower head off, and drop it in the bucket for 5 minutes, and reinstall the shower head.  Just know that bleach will remove chrome plating on cheaper shower heads, which is why most folks don't do it.  The cruise lines renew shower heads every few years.

• Like 3

Here's a great story from the Times last year about the sole occupant at the W in Barcelona during the pandemic shutdown. His sole role was to turn on/off 1,400 taps regularly to make sure legionella didn't breed in the system when the building was unoccupied.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/17/world/europe/barcelona-hotel-coronavirus.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, it doesn't matter where the water is sourced.  The same condition can happen for a homeowner, a shower head is a shower head.  If you want to do this, use a gallon bucket of water and add about 1 ounce of household bleach.  This creates a 100ppm solution.  Take the shower head off, and drop it in the bucket for 5 minutes, and reinstall the shower head.  Just know that bleach will remove chrome plating on cheaper shower heads, which is why most folks don't do it.  The cruise lines renew shower heads every few years.

I have seen room stewards do the same with shower heads in a bucket of bleach also.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JaniceB said:

Since this was reported by 2 people I am sure they have been asked questions that could narrow down where they contracted the disease.  Sounds like lots of places on a ship could be the source.

We did get a letter from Carnival (we were on the 8/1 sailing) notifying us of the case.

Just now, gentlehyena said:

We sail on Sept 12th, I can't imagine they haven't already taken every precaution necessary to mitigate the possibility of it still being in the water system. At least that is what I am telling myself LOL

Go enjoy your cruise, we are back on on 9/26 and it sure will. Ot top us from getting back on the ship.

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have seen room stewards do the same with shower heads in a bucket of bleach also.

Yes, there is a set rotation, however many cabins each week need to get sanitized, so that all are done in 6 months.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We did get a letter from Carnival (we were on the 8/1 sailing) notifying us of the case.

I was only saying that I am sure Carnival can investigate further with the 2 people to see what they did that was the same on the ship or if the shared the same cabin.  We don't seem to know any of this information and not sure if we need to just saying that because it is only 2 people so far it should be easy to find out where it came from.  

Oh good, another one of these articles. For people to panic about "one more thing to worry about". Where insignificant numbers of people encounter a disease, that if were a land resort, would never get a second look. Only because of "big scary petri dish". 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I was only saying that I am sure Carnival can investigate further with the 2 people to see what they did that was the same on the ship or if the shared the same cabin.  We don't seem to know any of this information and not sure if we need to just saying that because it is only 2 people so far it should be easy to find out where it came from.  

I feel certain it is under investigation by the CDC, the ship is listed as Yellow https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html Not stopping me from cruising! They could have gotten it from a hotel or anywhere before they got on the ship.

4 minutes ago, gentlehyena said:

I feel certain it is under investigation by the CDC, the ship is listed as Yellow https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html Not stopping me from cruising! They could have gotten it from a hotel or anywhere before they got on the ship.

That is only for covid - not any other illnesses or diseases.

23 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I really do not have any issues, was just posting a confirmation so others knew what had happened in regards to people on those sailings.  I think this a potential serious enough of event to publicize, that said, they seem to be on top of it.  We now live in a world where info can both be a good thing and maybe not so much a good thing.  There have been threads of people upset with not know ing how many had covid on sailing A or B.  I do not think they (Carnival) have any obligation to go beyond what they are doing currently.  Hopping down off of soapbox now before I fall and get hurt.

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I really do not have any issues, was just posting a confirmation so others knew what had happened in regards to people on those sailings.  I think this a potential serious enough of event to publicize, that said, they seem to be on top of it.  We now live in a world where info can both be a good thing and maybe not so much a good thing.  There have been threads of people upset with not know ing how many had covid on sailing A or B.  I do not think they (Carnival) have any obligation to go beyond what they are doing currently.  Hopping down off of soapbox now before I fall and get hurt.

Agree, glad they let you know in case you were feeling ill.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I appreciate you sharing, we didn’t get the notice, it’s good information to know. 

9 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

That is only for covid - not any other illnesses or diseases.

I understand that but legionnaires and Covid have some of the same symptoms, I figured as soon as the people were reported sick they would open an investigation to rule out Covid. Just my two cents ☺️