Updated drink package information

potchak

I am sure I will get a response.  It may take a few letters, and it probably will not be the response I want.  I will probably start with  a HAL executive, and work my way higher up the list.  If you go to the Elliot consumer website, they have a list of company executive email contacts for many, many contacts.  Many websites list company contacts on them.  I emailed Emed executives and wound up with a full refund on my AbbottBinaxNOW Covid tests with the very short expiration dates.  I consider myself an educated consumer.  I am happy to do what it takes to get the proper response.  When G Adventures cancelled my Morocco trip a week before I was due to leave to Africa having advertised 100% guaranteed departures and then offered me a voucher, I fought and got a refund as the contract allowed that.  They of course, amended the contract promptly, and many, many are still stuck with vouchers and they refunded almost no one with their money. 

So to add further confusion to everything, I just received this email response (redacted my personal info) from Gus Antorcha's office regarding my inquiry about the differences between the standard and elite beverage package.  I was the one who posted the PDF of the different packages (sent to us by a HAL employee) that says several times in it that the elite beverage package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages.  However, this email totally contradicts that.  I emailed her back and attached the PDF and asked why their own internal documents are stating otherwise.  I will keep everyone posted if I get any further info.  So frustrating to have to spend so much time and energy on this when they could just update their website!1166313617_ScreenShot2021-10-06at3_08_14PM.thumb.png.a2f37ff3baca1c45d45a1f3b90b24ef5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

So to add further confusion to everything, I just received this email response (redacted my personal info) from Gus Antorcha's office regarding my inquiry about the differences between the standard and elite beverage package.  I was the one who posted the PDF of the different packages (sent to us by a HAL employee) that says several times in it that the elite beverage package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages.  However, this email totally contradicts that.  I emailed her back and attached the PDF and asked why their own internal documents are stating otherwise.  I will keep everyone posted if I get any further info.  So frustrating to have to spend so much time and energy on this when they could just update their website!1166313617_ScreenShot2021-10-06at3_08_14PM.thumb.png.a2f37ff3baca1c45d45a1f3b90b24ef5.png

Well, as much as some might not like it the answer is pretty clear.

15 drinks per day maximum.

My solution?  If you need a bunch of specialty coffees early in the morning, sodas/pops or whatever then buy a beverage card and use it for the cheaper drinks and the SBP for the remainder..

Also don’t forget if you are a 3 / 4 / 5* Mariner - the water in your room and even the pop / soda in the mini bar is not included in SBP and  you will receive your discount.  Lots of avenues around this if you go over the 15 drinks.

I honestly have not hit 15 drinks but that doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for some 😉 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you need a bunch of specialty coffees early in the morning, sodas/pops or whatever then buy a beverage card and use it for the cheaper drinks and the SBP for the remainder..

I don't see where a beverage card is available for purchase.  Can you help me find it on the web site?  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't see where a beverage card is available for purchase.  Can you help me find it on the web site?  Thanks.

I can only find them on the HAL site and not in the app.  If you log in and go to "already booked?" and then "manage bookings" to pull up your booking, the beverage cards are under the beverages section of "cruise activities".  You have to scroll down quite a bit but there's a section called "beverage cards" where you can buy them in denominations of $50, $100, and $250 or there's a $50 non-alcoholic card too.  Hope that helps you find them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Sure, log in - go to your bookings  - click cruise activities

78922A5C-B9AF-453C-820D-E4CB3938276E.thumb.png.5f7849aef3645d33274f9b49ff9788fe.png

click beverages

7EA91104-FB33-4659-A9CE-AB4DCCE06F7A.thumb.png.541257f205adb643a4036aadad19a8dd.png

scroll down and you will see all kinds of beverage cards you can buy

7DEE0EE1-A3CE-411D-BB66-A851DD4741E5.thumb.png.633ccef43729405f23981ab0a728a1ec.png

it’s actually what I get when I skip the HIA which I often do and take the advantage fare 🙂 

We tend to use the wine packages (even if we have the SBP), etc.

Hope this helps 🤞 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I can only find them on the HAL site and not in the app.  If you log in and go to "already booked?" and then "manage bookings" to pull up your booking, the beverage cards are under the beverages section of "cruise activities".  You have to scroll down quite a bit but there's a section called "beverage cards" where you can buy them in denominations of $50, $100, and $250 or there's a $50 non-alcoholic card too.  Hope that helps you find them.

11 hours ago, kazu said:

Sure, log in - go to your bookings  - click cruise activities

it’s actually what I get when I skip the HIA which I often do and take the advantage fare 🙂 

We tend to use the wine packages (even if we have the SBP), etc.
Hope this helps 🤞 

How does the card work?  Does it just act like a credit card or does it give you discounts on beverages?  For example, what is the difference between the non-alcoholic and regular card?

Can you purchase/renew it onboard?

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How does the card work?  Does it just act like a credit card or does it give you discounts on beverages?  For example, what is the difference between the non-alcoholic and regular card?

Can you purchase/renew it onboard?

Think of it as a pre-loaded credit card/debit card.  It starts with positive balance & each drink is deducted.  The cards I showed you can be used for either alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks.  

There is no discount on beverages and yes, you can buy it on board.

Any credit balance remaining on the card at the end of the cruise is fully refundable to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Think of it as a pre-loaded credit card/debit card.  It starts with positive balance & each drink is deducted.  The cards I showed you can be used for either alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks.  

There is no discount on beverages and yes, you can buy it on board.

Any credit balance remaining on the card at the end of the cruise is fully refundable to you.

Thanks, if I find the nonalcoholic drinks are affecting my ability to purchase adult beverages without paying "full boat" for them, (pun intended...) I'll look into it onboard.

Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

See, that directly contradicts what received from the Rep when I called HAL the other day. She specifically said the non-alcoholic drinks were unlimited for elite. This madness has to stop,

Edited by figmentdj
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

See, that directly contradicts what received from the RepI get when I called HAL the other day. She specifically said the non-alcoholic drinks were unlimited for elite. This madness has to stop,

Just wait until you see it differ from one ship to another.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

See, that directly contradicts what received from the Rep when I called HAL the other day. She specifically said the non-alcoholic drinks were unlimited for elite. This madness has to stop,

It's incredibly frustrating how you can't seem to get a consistent, straight forward answer from HAL on things.  You get a different answer depending on who you talk to.  It not only contradicts what their agents are telling us, but also contradicts their own internal document that details the beverage package.  Hopefully I get a response back from Gus Antorcha's office again about this issue but it might help if others email about it as well to draw more attention to their inconsistencies.  The email that they finally responded to was sent to officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kayakcove said:

Is there any functional advantage to using the Beverage card vs. just charging to the room?  Like less signing a receipt each time.

Less signing a receipt and less cumbersome a statement as well.  When you charge to the room you get a charge each time you have to check.

With the card you get a little slip letting you know your new balance and that’s all you have to be concerned about.

For me, there is also the advantage of the foreign exchange risk.  Instead of being billed for my drinks at the end of the cruise, I can choose the “time” to buy beverage cards when I think the exchange rate is more favourable.    It also lets me pre-pay a portion of the expenses.  My bill is high enough on the ship 😉 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

"When you charge to the room you get a charge each time you have to check."

What?!? They charge you to look at your portfolio?

I'm guessing Kazu means that when you charge things to your room, you have to check each time you charge something to make sure it was charged correctly.  They don't charge you to look at your portfolio.

11 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

I'm guessing Kazu means that when you charge things to your room, you have to check each time you charge something to make sure it was charged correctly.  They don't charge you to look at your portfolio.

whew. That's funny. Shows how important punctation is.😁

11 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

Yes that’s what I meant = it’s time and trying to remember what you had and when and questioning the partner 😉 

14 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

"When you charge to the room you get a charge each time you have to check."

What?!? They charge you to look at your portfolio?

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear - my answer is above - I was referring to tracking all the charges.  Of course there is not a charge for looking at your portfolio.

6 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

whew. That's funny. Shows how important punctation is.😁

Well, excuse me for missing a comma. 😞

Sheesh.  I don’t think it was that hard to understand - sorry my trying to help misconstrued things.

This is apparently the NEW policy. It was not the policy in the past. With the standard drink package, and it was written right in the terms, you got unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. I don't know if HAL sells them any more, ( most likely not since they are sold in plastic bottles) but at the coffee bar, they sold Vitamin waters in 6-8 different flavors.  The two times I had the package, I would stop by there and get 2-3 a day there.  I would take them on tours, and drink them in my room.  

2 hours ago, Woofwoo1 said:

Hello all,

Does any body know what constiutes a day in the scheme of drinks packages.  Is it a calender day a rolling 24 hr period from a set time or any other such 

Thannks

I believe the “new day” starts at midnight.  So, 24 hours by the regular clock.

The drink package cuts off at midnight on the last day of the cruise.

19 hours ago, kazu said:

Less signing a receipt and less cumbersome a statement as well.  When you charge to the room you get a charge each time you have to check.

With the card you get a little slip letting you know your new balance and that’s all you have to be concerned about.

THANKS,  I was hoping that was the case, and yes I understood what you meant immediately.