Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

@ drveil0208 I just booked 5/15 for a sailing that leaves in a week 5/22 and just got the upgrade email today 5 days out so you may get an upgrade email also. 

Edited by BlushPell
Adding tag

Got mine 2 days out.

Getaway Baltic inside to balcony £80pp(min)

The booking delta was over £200pp for the change.

Regarding that earlier you have been outbid.

I wonder if they are pushing false bids to try and get people to up their bids on ships running low capacity.

Classic auction type scam.

A big box travel booking site is showing Haven cabins still available but NCL website shows unavailable...

Our cruise is in 13 days.  While I am perfectly happy with the cabin we are in, it would be fun to get a Haven suite.  Do we still have a chance?

17 minutes ago, 5onadime said:

A big box travel booking site is showing Haven cabins still available but NCL website shows unavailable...

Our cruise is in 13 days.  While I am perfectly happy with the cabin we are in, it would be fun to get a Haven suite.  Do we still have a chance?

It depends!  Does your Big Box participate in the Upgrade Advantage?

I am booked directly with NCL..... NCL says no Haven cabins available.....The Big box says cabins available.   I have put in a bid, just trying to determine which inventory is correct.  On the big box site, I did a mock booking up until paying and the category still showed available.

2 minutes ago, 5onadime said:

I am booked directly with NCL..... NCL says no Haven cabins available.....The Big box says cabins available.   I have put in a bid, just trying to determine which inventory is correct.  On the big box site, I did a mock booking up until paying and the category still showed available.

Until you get a notification from NCL saying you did not, it might still be possible.

• Like 1

I was awarded a Penthouse with Large Balcony from a regular balcony stateroom. Received the email while on our flight to Honolulu for the Cruisetour portion of our Hawaiian cruise. My bid was classified as “poor” so pretty surprised I got it.

• Like 3

I may be bidding too high. We’re on a July 3rd 11night London to Iceland. We’re in an inside and desperately want a balcony.

We bid into the lower good zone for window, balcony and club balcony. Still we’re saving over a thousand over paying for the upgrade if we get it. 

On 10/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, timeless9704 said:

Hello!  Today I received notice that my bid for a Haven Owner's Suite was accepted for the Epic Oct. 31st sailing. My bid was at the low end of fair. 

Question--  the total price includes my previous fare for a balcony room. Example, if my cost for balcony room was $1000 and my bid was $2000 to upgrade to a Haven my total cruise fare is $3000 times 2. I did not realize the bid was on top of your original fare. 

Is this correct?

I am not complaining since the total price was still a bargain, but I was surprised. 

Thanks and so happy for what I know will be a great trip.  Happy cruising everyone!!

$3000 x 2??   I thought it was your original cost plus your upgrade bid x 2? Not your original cost x2

Out of interest, what are the benefits of bidding on a few different categories?  If we wanted the Haven suite but also bid on a club balcony room (just in case we didn't get the Haven). If you were successful on both how do they choose which one to give you? 

9 hours ago, alibabaxx said:

Out of interest, what are the benefits of bidding on a few different categories?  If we wanted the Haven suite but also bid on a club balcony room (just in case we didn't get the Haven). If you were successful on both how do they choose which one to give you? 

You will only win one and they select the room you get.

6 hours ago, GALSews said:

You will only win one and they select the room you get.

Oh yes I know you only get one... I'm just wondering if you choose more than one to bid on does that lessen your chances of getting the one you want?  Anyway we've decided to bid on two as we would like either one (haven) but left the club balcony

Oh yes I know you only get one... I'm just wondering if you choose more than one to bid on does that lessen your chances of getting the one you want?  Anyway we've decided to bid on two as we would like either one (haven) but left the club balcony

Honestly, the mechanics of how it all works are probably only known to a couple product managers and business stakeholders at the third-party that runs it. I'd go as far as to say it's probably proprietary and not even NCL knows the exact business logic. NCL just contracts with this company to fill empty cabins at reduced rates closer to the sail date and there's probably certain controls NCL has, but it's otherwise a grey box system with some kind of contractual obligation for certain performance metrics.

If there is a specific cabin type you're trying to get, I'd recommend having that be your 'best' bid of the lot....but it generally depends on the availability and demand more than anything. 

So my cruise is 83 days out and got an offer to bid for upgrade.... wonder why when the date is 3 months away?

It's a big number crunch, basically. NCL obviously wants to maximize their capacity aboard the ship and getting the 'potential upgrade' numbers early lets them adjust pricing on the lower level cabins as necessary. If they're at 50% capacity 3 months out, knowing their capacity to top fill the higher level cabins helps them get a better idea of A. what sorts of thresholds they want to place for those cabins and B. how many of the vacated cabins will be available closer to sailing. 

So to get a short answer, they've calculated that there is a point of criticality in each sailing where opening up the bidding lets them forecast the departure day supply and demand ratio. 

Edited by NoahtheRed
  • Like 1

For all intents and purposes, a cruise is a fixed cost.  So it's all about maximizing yield for the voyage.  It's a dark, but fascinating science - kind of like the formula to Coca Cola.  Get the product managers at HQ drunk and they might divulge.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Get the product managers at HQ drunk and they might divulge.

Lol, been doing product management for nearly a decade now and I bet if you had 4 drunk PM brains to pick, you'd end up with 4 different sets of (conflicting) business rules 😛

• Haha 1