Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

3 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

They do not charge you extra.  But, at a minimum, gratuities are expected to be given to the butler and concierge.  They do not receive anything from the DSC.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some people have got confirmations of their upgrades on my sailing… stil 86 days out. 

All of my club and spa balcony bids are showing as expired, but the standard balcony bid is still pending so fingers crossed that comes in 🤞🏼

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Looks like some people have got confirmations of their upgrades on my sailing… stil 86 days out. 

All of my club and spa balcony bids are showing as expired, but the standard balcony bid is still pending so fingers crossed that comes in 🤞🏼

Which sailing?

2 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Wow that’s early 

Email just came through…

upgrade accepted to balcony 😁

I know I’ve probably paid more for it than others, I put in some fairly decent bids, so somewhat disappointed not to get a spa or club balcony… but for my partners first cruise I’m very happy to get a balcony over inside for a better deal than booking up front 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Email just came through…

upgrade accepted to balcony 😁

I know I’ve probably paid more for it than others, I put in some fairly decent bids, so somewhat disappointed not to get a spa or club balcony… but for my partners first cruise I’m very happy to get a balcony over inside for a better deal than booking up front 

Congratulations and how much was your bid?

4 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Congratulations and how much was your bid?

$185 I think, so not the minimum or the top but somewhere in the middle, I’m sure some may have got it for minimum bids but I’m not unhappy with that price 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Breakaway 23rd Sept

We're on this cruise and got our bid excepted email yesterday. Gone from Inside to a Balcony Deck 12 Mid Ship so super happy with the cabin location. Paid just over minimum so happy with price.

23 hours ago, stuartgrn said:

We're on this cruise and got our bid excepted email yesterday. Gone from Inside to a Balcony Deck 12 Mid Ship so super happy with the cabin location. Paid just over minimum so happy with price.

Shoot we sail Aug 4 Breakaway & NO word yet...even changed a bid yesterday

On 6/29/2023 at 4:33 AM, Greener123 said:

How many day till you depart 

I've been stalking this thread since I placed my upgrade bid a few weeks ago. I wish there was some method to the madness. Cruises after mine (in September) are getting their upgrades, yet I have not heard of anyone on the Aug 28th Mediterranean Epic sailing succeeding in theirs. I guess if I get it I get it lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belletora said:

I've been stalking this thread since I placed my upgrade bid a few weeks ago. I wish there was some method to the madness. Cruises after mine (in September) are getting their upgrades, yet I have not heard of anyone on the Aug 28th Mediterranean Epic sailing succeeding in theirs. I guess if I get it I get it lol.

It's all about supply and demand.  I once got an upgrade 3 months out - my cabin category was sold out, I was bidding on something with a lot of vacancies.  So better to accept my bid and resell my cabin. 

The only reason to award bids early is to shift the number of available cabins in a specific category.

• Like 3

Anyone else on the October 7-14 Alaska Cruise on the NCL Bliss? First cruise and we just put in max bid for haven owners suite with large balcony. There are two on the ship supposedly.

A few questions:

1. Some have mentioned monitoring occupancy and room numbers, how do you do this?

2. I have heard the bids are accepted via time stamp. If we were the first to max bid on that room, do we win? If so do they wait forever to notify us (or tell us we lost to another max bid?) This is on a room in which there is one left up for bid.

Edited by EODHorn

If you are willing to bid max, be sure to check to make sure that you couldn't just upgrade to get the cabin you want for less than the max bid. Since this is the haven, that might not be, but I've often found cabins I placed bids on for less just calling than doing the bid thing.

Never heard of doing bids by when they are submitted. It's my understanding it's based on how NCL makes the most money. If you are currently in a cabin that others may want, and that person has a cabin that others want, etc., it causes a chain and provides more money for NCL.

3 minutes ago, vswan said:

If you are willing to bid max, be sure to check to make sure that you couldn't just upgrade to get the cabin you want for less than the max bid. Since this is the haven, that might not be, but I've often found cabins I placed bids on for less just calling than doing the bid thing.

Never heard of doing bids by when they are submitted. It's my understanding it's based on how NCL makes the most money. If you are currently in a cabin that others may want, and that person has a cabin that others want, etc., it causes a chain and provides more money for NCL.

So when speaking to NCL there is only two of the Deluxe Owner's Suites with Large Balcony on the NCL Bliss. One of the two was sold already and the 2nd one was up for bid. They wouldn't let us just secure the one that is up for bid. I am hoping that we can learn soon if we won on the max bid because we have the Haven forward facing penthouse with balcony and if we don't win the bid then would at a minimum want to secure the 2 bedroom with large balcony (which we have also max bid on and verified it's $500 cheaper than just securing)

3 minutes ago, EODHorn said:

So when speaking to NCL there is only two of the Deluxe Owner's Suites with Large Balcony on the NCL Bliss. One of the two was sold already and the 2nd one was up for bid. They wouldn't let us just secure the one that is up for bid. I am hoping that we can learn soon if we won on the max bid because we have the Haven forward facing penthouse with balcony and if we don't win the bid then would at a minimum want to secure the 2 bedroom with large balcony (which we have also max bid on and verified it's $500 cheaper than just securing)

Your post makes no sense.  I highly doubt that NCL is simply holding any Haven rooms for bids - why would they if they can sell it outright?  The cabin you are looking at is showing sold out online.

As to learning when you've won your bid - that usually happens much closer to your sail date.  Your only hope for learning now would be if they wanted your current cabin in order to resell - and since that is also showing as sold-out anything is possible but highly unlikely IMHO - especially this far ahead of the sail date.

The bidding process is to make money for NCL, plain and simple.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Your post makes no sense.  I highly doubt that NCL is simply holding any Haven rooms for bids - why would they if they can sell it outright?  The cabin you are looking at is showing sold out online.

As to learning when you've won your bid - that usually happens much closer to your sail date.  Your only hope for learning now would be if they wanted your current cabin in order to resell - and since that is also showing as sold-out anything is possible but highly unlikely IMHO - especially this far ahead of the sail date.

The bidding process is to make money for NCL, plain and simple.

I absolutely agree it makes no sense. But they verified that they do hold some rooms in all the categories specifically for the bid program. I know the bliss has less Owners Suites than other ships because the boat was built for Alaska tours with enormous forward viewing area that in their predecessor ships were rooms (mentioned in some videos I found).

The status of the bid is still pending on both bids, so apparently still in play for the owners suite.

2023-07-05.png

11 hours ago, EODHorn said:

I absolutely agree it makes no sense. But they verified that they do hold some rooms in all the categories specifically for the bid program. I know the bliss has less Owners Suites than other ships because the boat was built for Alaska tours with enormous forward viewing area that in their predecessor ships were rooms (mentioned in some videos I found).

The status of the bid is still pending on both bids, so apparently still in play for the owners suite.

2023-07-05.png

Who verified it? Not NCL as they don't run the program.

The bid max does not always work out like you think.

The same with the theory that it depends on what you paid as well as the first to bid. I can debunk all of that.

If multiple people bid max, your bidding may go live. That turns into a crap fest for sure.  I was involved in one for a cruise last November. 7 Haven categories. On 6 categories I was over $7500 per person live bid and lost. I did win a spa haven at $4015 per person I think.(21 night repo cruise)

The theory of what you originally paid? I always  use points for inside to Balcony and booked the first day it's available. So I am at an advantage from the start you would think . 

Status? Sapphire, almost Diamond.

Over the years I have had over 100 max bids on several cruises for several Haven's placed within the first minutes of the offer email or before the email. Never won one. Only the live bid did I win.

With MSC, that's the opposite. I always won by a max bid. Now I don't want to take a chance. I just pay it.

First to bid? If you know the upgrade address you can sometimes bid prior to the email. I did that for an upcoming princess cruise and got the email a week later.  I ended up cancelling and just paid the fare to get what I wanted.

The odds are so against you when dealing with the top categories. Them saving categories for bidding makes zero sense.

Bid on many categories to increase your odds.

Just buy it if you really want it. If you can't, It's not available.

Bidding on sold out categories is just in case of a last minute cancellation.

Screenshot_20221011-130511.png

Screenshot_20221011-130511~2.png

On our sailing the last 'remaining' owners suite is going in/out of sale. I think the owners suites have a lot of people clicking on them to see what they are and sometimes ending up putting them in the temporary hold so when you look they aren't available... Perhaps it doesn't work that way, but I've seen the one on mine change availability several times (after final payment) so I don't think someone is booking/canceling.

• Like 1

Also wanted to mention that Max bid is different for everyone I believe. Going from a 2-bedroom to owners suite would likely have a lower maximum bid than from a front facing penthouse to owners. Also, the algorithm they use almost certainly takes into account how likely they are to be able to sell/maximize money in upgrades to the room you would be vacating for the upgraded room.