Seat Selection timeline w/Flight Ease

FlaMariner

Booked on Flight Ease yesterday (Fri 9/3).

The flights are on American (British Air flight numbers operated by American).

I am unable to pick seats even though I can view our flight confirmation on American and British Air.

Any experience on when I might be able to snag our seats?

Sometimes, seat selection isn't available as soon as you've booked, despite seeing the flight on the airline's site, as you've found.

I recently booked flights to and from Europe, and was able to select the seats on Flight Ease. I managed to pick the remaining ones the next day on the airline site.

Try again in a day or two, and you should be able to. Go I d luck!

Edited by kwb101

I can choose seats on Delta's website as soon as I book the flights.  I try not to select them while booking them on Flight Ease because that takes time and I'm trying to do it quickly so nothing changes.  I'm not sure that British Air or American allows that though.  No experience with them.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Booked on Flight Ease yesterday (Fri 9/3).

The flights are on American (British Air flight numbers operated by American).

I am unable to pick seats even though I can view our flight confirmation on American and British Air.

Any experience on when I might be able to snag our seats?

Presume you mean British Airways.

Did you book Business class? If Economy is seat selection included in the ticket price?  Many British Airways tickets do not include seat choice until check in 24 hours before flight time.

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

Looks like I need to give it a few days.....

Yes, the trip is with British Airways but both flights are on American Airlines......and I have both American and British Airways confirmations....and the flights/itinerary are visible on both airline sites.

It's Economy but on American Airlines planes so looks like seat selection is available just not for me at this early stage of booking.....I'll chill out and check tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick responses.

My recollection (several years old) for British Airways business class seats was that there was an extra charge to select your seat earlier. there was no guarantee that two bookings on the same ticket would be sitting together - so I paid up the cash...As I recall it was something like $50 each.

There are 2 questions for you ....

1. Are the tickets issued yet? Sometimes seat selection may not be available until after the tickets are issued. (Flight Ease may not pay for the tickets until closer to cruise final payment date.)

2. Is it a code share? Sometimes seat selection is not available on a code share booking until check-in.

(Seat maps are not always available from the operating carrier for viewing by the booking carrier until closer to flight day.) 

Conclusion: Airline alliances (such as One World in your case) are not necessarily as seamless as advertised. It is more complex than the average passenger might think. I was once told by a Lufthansa agent at Paddington when checking in for a United LHR-IAD flight that the Star Alliance was a "bit of moondust" in London that day.

15 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We have premium economy on British and are unable to select seats until 24 hours before the flight.

British Air does not even let most Business Class folks select seats until 24 hours before.  

Hank

We booked 2022 flights Premium Economy round trip CLT to AMS on Flight Ease.  The flights on United with Lufthansa returning.  I was able to reserve seats on the United website for the outgoing flights, but the Lufthansa returning flights are not available for seat selection on either of the respective websites, after getting through to the Lufthansa telephone customer service it appears that the tickets must be issued in order to request seat assignments.  Lots can happen in the nearly 300 days to flight time, but for now we have our selected seats for the red eye flight to Amsterdam.