Anyone on Epic?

Nataly1982

Epic restarted yesterday (5th Sep). Would appreciate some first hand information about life on board. How was the boarding process? How many passages on board? Is everyone wearing masks? Was there a sail away party?  Are there any additional excursions added on board, or the same as on the ncl website? Are pools & jacuzzis open? How the atmosphere overall please? Many thanks

Boarding process:   Luggage drop off then onto a queue for Covid test.  From there, til we got tested and waited for the results, took 50 minutes.  Over to the terminal for security and check-in, then onto the ship took all of 10 minutes.  We arrived at Barcelona port at 11am and we’re onboard by around 12.20 or so. 

No idea how many passengers are onboard.  Bear in mind that there will be others embarking in Civitavecchia, so we’re not at capacity yet (despite the sign at Guest Services advising that we are - though this is in relation to there being no upgrades onboard available).

Masks must be worn at all times except when eating or drinking.

They announced there would be music at sail away, but we left an hour and half late so we didn’t check it out. 

Mo idea about excursions as we’re not leaving the ship so have not gotten any info about them.  Here’s the list from the cabin:

69FAA1B8-2C5F-4788-A882-84CC8563DE0F.thumb.jpeg.d39d27c4598c4fe1f6e407dfdb88798e.jpeg

ECEFECB5-F577-4397-B501-A36F7BE26A36.thumb.jpeg.d48d20b5010daab31ee34dff1276e7b6.jpeg

C9DD972E-4173-4229-AA10-9A486800D01E.thumb.jpeg.fbc6a44fcb0edfd871fccda4c40bf503.jpeg

Pools and jacuzzis aren’t our thing but we’ll be up on the pool deck later so will check it out -  if I remember lol.   There are others on the Sept 5th roll call requesting info there, too, that I’m checking out. Perhaps you should check it out to see if there’s anything posted there that may be of interest to you. 😉

This is our first time on NCL (done 23 with MSC) and we’re loving every minute.  Great food and crew and were delighted to get to book Cagney’s yesterday afternoon, having thought that it gets booked out months in advance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3rd time being on the epic and it feels empty, the couple of crew i have spoken to say 50-60% full but feels less then that.

Pools/Jacuzzi's/slides all open, vibe/posh is empty, currently myself and wife in there with 3 staff for us.

deckchairs are spread out in 2's but a lot of spare 1's including around the pool area so no chair hogs.

We got to the port early yesterday so covid test and boarding took about 30mins, we did see some long queues later on tho from onboard.

Apart from the mask wearing indoors it feels much like a normal cruise and the staff do seem to of missed the passengers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Beamafarbriefly disoriented when I read your post here on the NCL boards lol. Always appreciate your helpful advice and perspective regarding MSC. Will be curious to hear more about your comparison of the two lines when your cruise is complete. Epic was our last cruise ship pre-covid. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

been on the epic twice. 1st time an aft haven penthouse. horrible cabin. 2nd time in a 2 bedroom suite

cabin was nice, the amenities were great, but unfortunately my wife slipped on a wet floor coming out of the buffet. screwed up her knee and ruined her entire cruise.

we're giving the epic another shot jan 23-30 from san juan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CarrieAP said:

@Beamafarbriefly disoriented when I read your post here on the NCL boards lol. Always appreciate your helpful advice and perspective regarding MSC. Will be curious to hear more about your comparison of the two lines when your cruise is complete. Epic was our last cruise ship pre-covid. Enjoy!!

Hi Carrie.  I feel like a stranger around these parts, lol 😂 

We’re loving our experience on NCL.  The food and dining options are so much better than MSC.

This was a last minute booking because we got fed up with the uncertainty surrounding our October Seashore cruise as well as sheer frustration with MSC for treating us the same as UK passengers when it came to the decision not to allow those from the UK to board.   It is so good to be back onboard a ship again.   Looks like our October cruise will go ahead, too. 😁 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Carrie.  I feel like a stranger around these parts, lol 😂 

We’re loving our experience on NCL.  The food and dining options are so much better than MSC.

This was a last minute booking because we got fed up with the uncertainty surrounding our October Seashore cruise as well as sheer frustration with MSC for treating us the same as UK passengers when it came to the decision not to allow those from the UK to board.   It is so good to be back onboard a ship again.   Looks like our October cruise will go ahead, too. 😁 

Thanks for all the valuable information. What do you think about entertainment? Is everything going ahead as planned? Any shows being cancelled? Did you have to do any additional tests since embarkation? Ty

There seems to be lots of entertainment though we haven’t got around to sampling much of it yet lol.  We had a fantastic night in Cagney’s last night, then enjoyed a guy on guitar in the Maltings where we had a great singalong.  We went up to Spice later on but had enjoyed a little too much excellent wine in Cagney’s earlier so didn’t stay too long 🤪

25BAB551-0149-4D20-9496-8A962BEF2307.thumb.jpeg.13ebcd442f5a55b78b33bebedf3af9f9.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love it, The Epic... we went on it in 2015, and it was a wonderful experience, a very spacious boat. As a crucial fact is that it is the only boat (I think) that has electric ladders. and the cabins with a beautiful balcony ... I don't know why they criticize the bathroom so much, as long as the balcony is big ... what else?
Edited by bisco333

46 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Are there any live bands in the Cavern?

There was a Beatles tribute on both last night and the night before.  We left it too late to go on the first night, the place was packed and we couldn’t get a seat.  We were in Cagney’s last night, so missed it again.  I believe it will be on again, though if it’s tomorrow night we won’t get to go as we’ll be back in Cagney’s. 

• Like 1

great info Beamafar, i too am about to give up on MSC for THIS SATURDAY booking as they have made a total mees of things, booking Epic for Sunday  tonight. Know it will be quieter than before, forecast not great too at moment but its our fav ship and will be perfect after the MSC fiasco

It will be a complete distraction from all the grief and frustration of MSC.  We’re thoroughly enjoying ourselves and are so glad we booked this only 9 days prior to sailing.  The only thing was we couldn’t get our edocs beforehand so couldn’t pre-book anything.   It wasn’t a problem, though, and we got an upgrade from inside to a club balcony for only €260 total with the lowest bid offer last Saturday -  probably because it was so close to sailing. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am curious about what the restrictions are relating to leaving the ship at the various ports. Do you *have* to use an NCL excursion at all/any? Or is it just those from specific countries? 
I’ll be coming from Ireland so I have the EU digital certificate and not travelling via the UK. 

You cannot leave the ship in Italy alone - only with NCL excursion. As I remember for guests embarking in Barcelona you cannot leave the ship in Italian ports at all - also with NCL excursion.

In Spain you are free.

Edited by greg2014
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beamafar said:

There was a Beatles tribute on both last night and the night before.  We left it too late to go on the first night, the place was packed and we couldn’t get a seat.  We were in Cagney’s last night, so missed it again.  I believe it will be on again, though if it’s tomorrow night we won’t get to go as we’ll be back in Cagney’s. 

14 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I am curious about what the restrictions are relating to leaving the ship at the various ports. Do you *have* to use an NCL excursion at all/any? Or is it just those from specific countries? 
I’ll be coming from Ireland so I have the EU digital certificate and not travelling via the UK. 

I’m from Ireland, too.  It’s irrelevant where you’re from.  Even Italians cannot get off at the Italian ports unless on a ship’s excursion.

@Icha  There is no ‘Rome on your own’ tour according to the guy on the excursions desk. 

@DanielNL   Regarding the HOHO - you can only HO (hop on).  You can’t HOHO (get off the bus at the various stops). It’s basically a bus tour of the city  on the open deck. 

Sorry to post those responses here.  I’m hopping from the roll call thread to here and losing track of where the original questions were posted. 🙄

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I’m from Ireland, too.  It’s irrelevant where you’re from.  Even Italians cannot get off at the Italian ports unless on a ship’s excursion.

@Icha  There is no ‘Rome on your own’ tour according to the guy on the excursions desk. 

@DanielNL   Regarding the HOHO - you can only HO (hop on).  You can’t HOHO (get off the bus at the various stops). It’s basically a bus tour of the city  on the open deck. 

Sorry to post those responses here.  I’m hopping from the roll call thread to here and losing track of where the original questions were posted. 🙄

doing a grand job lads, all Ireland final for us in Barcelona day before boarding. Is the muster the video we just watched, that's it?

Edited by Seanocelt