Public access to St. Catherine's Beach

richg35

13 hours ago, richg35 said:

Now that the St. Regis has sadly been built, does anyone know if there is still public access to the beach at Fort St. Catherine, or is this beach now only for hotel guests?

Technically all beaches in Bermuda are public up to a certain point above the water break (someone I'm sure knows the exact footage). In this case, yes, you can access the beach much easier than let's say the Rosewood's or Mid Ocean Club's beach which are essentially private because of the privateish access road. Access here is on the fort side, past the hotel. 

The St Regis was still not open the last time we were there but was close to being finished so I cant speak to the dynamics of it (how welcome they may make you feel or not) but you can physically access the beach without much fuss. 

16 hours ago, richg35 said:

Now that the St. Regis has sadly been built, does anyone know if there is still public access to the beach at Fort St. Catherine, or is this beach now only for hotel guests?

I can't say from experience and have not read any reports but part of the governments agreement with the developers they were to maintain public access. Bermudians want access. Another issue and probably a reason for not getting reports is that St. George's not as easy to get to as the ferry from the Dockyard to St. George  is not running this year. I checked on TripAdvisor and the last reviews were from summer 2019....

Edited by Charles4515

• 7 months later...

Any recent updates on St. Catherine’s beach?  We’re thinking about heading there in a few weeks while in port and looking to rent chairs/umbrella.  Or, should we just stick with Tobacco Bay … which looks to be back open albeit with much higher prices than we remember but guess that’s everything these days!

Just now, chiapet said:

Any recent updates on St. Catherine’s beach?  We’re thinking about heading there in a few weeks while in port and looking to rent chairs/umbrella.  Or, should we just stick with Tobacco Bay … which looks to be back open albeit with much higher prices than we remember but guess that’s everything these days!

Public access is required but as for chairs the St. Regis has said no day passes. None has reported any other rentals. Since it is not beach season I think it will be a few weeks for any reports from anyone who has accessed the beach.

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Public access is required but as for chairs the St. Regis has said no day passes. None has reported any other rentals. Since it is not beach season I think it will be a few weeks for any reports from anyone who has accessed the beach.

That’s exact what I was thinking, but thought I’d ask anyway.  Guess… Tobacco Bay it is.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, putchky said:

I am a little confused.  Are we able to use the beach ?  Do we need to obtain any special pass or can we just walk on?

You can use the beach because the hotel is obligated to maintain public access to it. No passes, just find the access path and walk on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

You can use the beach because the hotel is obligated to maintain public access to it. No passes, just find the access path and walk on.

Thank you   it is our favorite beach