Portugal dropped from 18th October Spain Portugal Cruise

SmokingDragon

Just received a mail from Celebrity revising the schedule for 18th October sailing to Spain Portugal and in effect Portugal has been dropped and replaced with extra sea days and stops in Spain. Also to go ashore in Spain you have to use their official excursions!!

I don't understand the reasons behind this, anyone with more information?

Cheers

Simon

No more than the explanation Celebrity gave in their email ☹️. Obviously they deemed Portugal to be unsafe 🤷‍♀️. They cancelled two Portuguese ports, replaced by one at Cadiz (Seville), meaning we have 5 sea days and 5 port days. We are in two minds as to whether to go ahead or not. Having to pay for excursions if you want to get off the ship is a blow. We were looking forward to wandering around the various ports as we have visited them all in the past. I had booked an excursion to Santiago de Compostela but since our time is now reduced in Vigo where they have changed the day we visit, that is no longer offered as an option. Going to look at alternatives this weekend before we decide. 

46 minutes ago, SmokingDragon said:

Just received a mail from Celebrity revising the schedule for 18th October sailing to Spain Portugal and in effect Portugal has been dropped and replaced with extra sea days and stops in Spain. Also to go ashore in Spain you have to use their official excursions!!

I don't understand the reasons behind this, anyone with more information?

Cheers

Simon

At least the sea days will hopefully be warmer than UK cruises.  I read that Portugal had dropped pcr tests for cruises so surprised they have cancelled Portugal stops 

42 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

The two earlier cruises also have changed itineraries, Portugal dropped. Could be Celebrity want to limit international ports to one country?

I can see the attraction of reducing the potential for complexity and uncertainty in how to apply the various rules when they have a mixed group of passengers from different countries onboard. 

Still a disappointment for those onboard but at least it is still sailing...

12 minutes ago, Daedalus50 said:

I find this decision by Celebrity strange. We are regular Celebrity voyagers (>11 cruises) but tried a NCL cruise round the Greek Islands in August this year. Able to get off at every port and wander around as we wished. We did go on one NCL excursion only.

With the rules as they are though it makes a big difference where your cruise starts and ends, and of course where it stops along the way.

What you can do on a Greek departure for example will be under very different rules from a UK departure...

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

With the rules as they are though it makes a big difference where your cruise starts and ends, and of course where it stops along the way.

What you can do on a Greek departure for example will be under very different rules from a UK departure...

We still flew from and returned to Heathrow as UK citizens. Greece required mask wearing on the ship. P&O are still visiting Portuguese ports and allowing unaccompanied, individual port excursions.

Amazing. Had an email from Celebrity reversing their decision insisting on only Celebrity excursions if you were double vaxxed. Too late for us. Already cancelled and rebooked with P&O. By the way Portugal now has (according to ToL) a higher percentage of population double vaxxed than UK. Will Celebrity now reverse their decision not to call at Portugal?