Why I cancelled my Breakaway Sailing and views on my Encore Sailing

zerooveride

7 minutes ago, zerooveride said:
2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don’t think the OP is going to share this with us.

I might not have said it here, but I don't get NCL's invoice, I get one from my TA which does not have the codes on it. It is there in house invoice. (I answered this over on Facebook, it's hard to keep track sometimes!)

I would be careful to fault NCL without an actual NCL invoice, showing the LATDBLX promo code.  If you had such a document, I would imagine that any resolution due would be quick and painless.  Introduce a TA into the mix, especially one operating behind a veil, and all bets are off.  I'm sympathetic to your other concerns (although, while we can test for Covid prior to boarding, there is no test to identify "jerks), but it doesn't sound like you have enough evidence to throw the flag on this one.

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would be careful to fault NCL without an actual NCL invoice, showing the LATDBLX promo code.  If you had such a document, I would imagine that any resolution due would be quick and painless.  Introduce a TA into the mix, especially one operating behind a veil, and all bets are off.  I'm sympathetic to your other concerns (although, while we can test for Covid prior to boarding, there is no test to identify "jerks), but it doesn't sound like you have enough evidence to throw the flag on this one.

I did see something about that in the e-mail my TA CC'ed me on. I just looked again and there is a different code but it is described (from some internal system that he has access to) showing the bonus 2 points. He provided a screenshot to NCL of this system.

I know that they use different codes than what is publicly listed because they work with NCL on different promos than are available to others

Edited by zerooveride
added clarification

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would be careful to fault NCL without an actual NCL invoice, showing the LATDBLX promo code.  If you had such a document, I would imagine that any resolution due would be quick and painless.

We don't even get that in Europe, I believe in the US you have a list of codes (top right if I remember correctly) we don't get that here.

This thread just prompted me to email my PCC as I originally booked on the bliss, then cancelled and re booked to get the 5 promos and treble points, as we can't cancel and rebook for free, that change cost me money.

Then the ship was changed but it should have been a lift and shift.

I need my PCC to check that promo followed me from the Bliss to the Encore.

1 hour ago, zerooveride said:

I did see something about that in the e-mail my TA CC'ed me on. I just looked again and there is a different code but it is described (from some internal system that he has access to) showing the bonus 2 points. He provided a screenshot to NCL of this system.

I know that they use different codes than what is publicly listed because they work with NCL on different promos than are available to others

Thank you for the further info.  Hopefully you'll get the points.

1 hour ago, zerooveride said:

The front facing staff were great! It wasn't a staff issue (for the most part). 

Not having been there, I'll disagree.  You had an issue with kitchen staff, albeit they're not front of house.  The fact that you felt overrun by the reunion, or whatever it was, probably means you weren't the only one feeling that way.  So ship security (and perhaps other staff) didn't do a great job of making passengers outside of that group feel valued.  That's a fine line, I realize.  And certainly if a large public area was closed off for an extended period in favor of a private group, that's a huge problem.  

Then there was the maintenance issue.  OK, maybe it was something difficult to troubleshoot.  But you're on a ship sailing at, what?, 50% capacity?  If they couldn't resolve the issue, they should have offered to move you after the first night.  Someone in guest services fell short there.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 5

OP - You just reminded me of something from the cruise. I didn't notice or have any issues with groups or one particular group in general, but I did notice some terrible elevator etiquette, folks trying to force their way in before you'd get out. I mainly avoided the elevators though. The issue was particularly bad on the forward elevators.

The food on the garden cafe I thought was amazing though, especially Indian choices and British bacon in the mornings.

3 hours ago, notworkste said:

OP - You just reminded me of something from the cruise. I didn't notice or have any issues with groups or one particular group in general, but I did notice some terrible elevator etiquette, folks trying to force their way in before you'd get out. I mainly avoided the elevators though. The issue was particularly bad on the forward elevators.

The food on the garden cafe I thought was amazing though, especially Indian choices and British bacon in the mornings.

For those who spent a majority of their career in a high-rise office tower, elevator etiquette seems like second nature.  While waiting for an elevator to arrive, you stand to one side of the door to allow passengers to get off before you enter the car.  Once on board, you glance at the control panel to see if you will be among the next to exit, so you should remain near the door, or if there are many other floor buttons lit before yours, meaning you should make your way to the back of the car so others can exit without having to get past you.  When the elevator is close to your floor, you begin making your way to the front so you can exit quickly once the car stops on your floor.  Easy peasy, but for persons who only ride an elevator once in a blue moon, it seems like they wake up in a whole new world each time they board an elevator.

• Like 7

On 9/14/2021 at 8:47 AM, zerooveride said:

I can't imagine that being the case, imagine being on this ship, out of Miami in 90 degree weather! It would be unbearable! 

Your the first person I know of that ate there! lol . . . Everytime we walked by I don't think I ever saw anyone in there.

On that cruise 8/21 we were given the choice of eating there or the Haven restaurant on embarkation.  It was very good.  

47 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

On that cruise 8/21 we were given the choice of eating there or the Haven restaurant on embarkation.  It was very good.  

We went to the Buffet, which was the best day in there (imo). 

Just curious, was it just me or were the scrambled eggs very runny in the buffet?

20 hours ago, zerooveride said:

We went to the Buffet, which was the best day in there (imo). 

Just curious, was it just me or were the scrambled eggs very runny in the buffet?

so breakfast was the worst meal we had.  The eggs were runny and everything else was either cold or luke warm at best.  I love biscuits and gravy and only eat it when im on a cruise.  It was horrible - hard biscuits and cold sausage gravy.  Only tried once and didnt try again.

50 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

so breakfast was the worst meal we had.  The eggs were runny and everything else was either cold or luke warm at best.  I love biscuits and gravy and only eat it when im on a cruise.  It was horrible - hard biscuits and cold sausage gravy.  Only tried once and didnt try again.

Whether it's a cruise ship, hotel or anywhere else with a breakfast buffet.  If there is an omelet station, get an omelet!  It will be fresh cooked and hot. 😎

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Whether it's a cruise ship, hotel or anywhere else with a breakfast buffet.  If there is an omelet station, get an omelet!  It will be fresh cooked and hot. 😎

I always use the omelet station to get over easy fried eggs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Curious if this experience is typical of NCL?  We are considering sailing with NCL for the first time in December, due to their current CV protocols, mainly the ability to test at the pier since the logistics for CCL are too risky for us (only 2 days to get results back - we've moved 2 CCL cruises over to 2022/2023 because of it). And to the OP - I personally respect and appreciate you posting your experience.  You have a right to be upset about it!  As for that large group of rude people, as someone has already pointed out, you can't fix stupid.......and it seems to be everywhere these days.  I have a coworker who just returned from an NCL Alaskan cruise, and she also said the specialty restaurant food was completely inedible. And the horrible elevator etiquette has been on every ship we've sailed on - don't even get me started!  😡

37 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Curious if this experience is typical of NCL?  We are considering sailing with NCL for the first time in December, due to their current CV protocols, mainly the ability to test at the pier since the logistics for CCL are too risky for us (only 2 days to get results back - we've moved 2 CCL cruises over to 2022/2023 because of it). And to the OP - I personally respect and appreciate you posting your experience.  You have a right to be upset about it!  As for that large group of rude people, as someone has already pointed out, you can't fix stupid.......and it seems to be everywhere these days.  I have a coworker who just returned from an NCL Alaskan cruise, and she also said the specialty restaurant food was completely inedible. And the horrible elevator etiquette has been on every ship we've sailed on - don't even get me started!  😡

Can you not just take the at-home proctored rapid antigen test?  It’s a super simple process. 

1 hour ago, JCDCA said:

Can you not just take the at-home proctored rapid antigen test?  It’s a super simple process. 

For other lines, you can but it has to be a Proctored one.

NCL requires it at the Pier and if you want to get the benefits of their Sail Safe policies, you have to have a PCR 48hrs or less before sailing, on top of the at-pier test. 

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

So not in my experience. Loved my 2 first sailings on NCL then the POA wasn't too bad either (crew kinda sucked, imo). It is NOT what I would expect from them. 

7 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

NCL requires it at the Pier and if you want to get the benefits of their Sail Safe policies, you have to have a PCR 48hrs or less before sailing, on top of the at-pier test. 

Isn't an antigen test within 72 hours acceptable?  Where are you getting PCR 48 hrs from?  I literally just reread the SailSafe policy a few hours ago.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't an antigen test within 72 hours acceptable?  Where are you getting PCR 48 hrs from?  I literally just reread the SailSafe policy a few hours ago.

Opps . . . You're right . . . I knew they strongly advised the PCR, and I thought I had read somewhere 48hrs (and assumed it was right because of the CDC "rule") but it is 72hrs. 

My bad!924823396_ScreenShot2021-09-16at6_50_12PM.png.bd72771d669a38b6c8cf6c80d330b7cc.png

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Again, you're right, Antigen is okay. But I doubt they'll accept a self-administered one that isn't proctored. 

16 hours ago, zerooveride said:

So not in my experience. Loved my 2 first sailings on NCL then the POA wasn't too bad either (crew kinda sucked, imo). It is NOT what I would expect from them. 

Thank you for actually answering my question re: your past experience with NCL. (Didn't mean to start the "testing" debate! Oh my!)  We would like to give them a try some time.  And since they sail out of NOLA, it's an easy drive for us. The Breakaway looks like a lovely ship!  Thank you again and happy sailing!

Edited by LHARTWICK

16 hours ago, zerooveride said:

Unless it's changed in the past 24 hours, they RECOMMEND the pre-test be a PCR but still allow antigen.  I don't think they previously expressed an preference so, in the future, who knows whether the PCR preference will become a mandate.