Travel Insurance through Carnival

bobbismith

15 hours ago, bobbismith said:

Hello Fellow Travelers,

Is the insurance offered through Carnival enough? Any experiences?

I just want to cover all my bases.

Thanks, Bobbi

Maybe, but in my experience you'll overpay for what you get. Going to a travel insurance website like www.insuremytrip.com will allow you to input your trip details and shop a good number of plans. It even allows you to compare plans side by side. For our upcoming Bermuda cruise we purchased a plan for $130 (total for two) that has more robust coverage than Carnival's which is about $190, per person. Carnival's plan might offer cancel for any reason but even if we needed that coverage we could get it for far less than $190 per person.

• Like 3

Carnival's insurance is based on cruise fare paid, third party is also based on age.  So you may find some differences in price as well as coverage.  Another factor is when you paid the deposit - Carnival does not care when you paid the deposit, but third party does.

Our upcoming cruise deposit was two years ago (thanks, COVID) and totally priced us out of third party coverage that included cancel for any reason and pre-existing conditions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bobbismith said:

Hello Fellow Travelers,

Is the insurance offered through Carnival enough? Any experiences?

I just want to cover all my bases.

Thanks, Bobbi

Pro's

Not based on age

Includes CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason)

Cons

Just about everything else

Woefully low on medical coverage  (only $10K)

My strategy is a 3rd party travel insurance. I "self insure" the Cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, etc, but I do insure my medical and evacuation. $100K medical and $250K for evac for about $70 for both of us.

Every policy sold in the US is regulated by each State. Since I live in Washington State, my above strategy allows me to cover pre-existing conditions without having to cover ALL non refundable trip costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Maybe, but in my experience you'll overpay for what you get. Going to a travel insurance website like www.insuremytrip.com will allow you to input your trip details and shop a good number of plans. It even allows you to compare plans side by side. For our upcoming Bermuda cruise we purchased a plan for $130 (total for two) that has more robust coverage than Carnival's which is about $190, per person. Carnival's plan might offer cancel for any reason but even if we needed that coverage we could get it for far less than $190 per person.

My apologies everyone, my memory is not what it used to be. I just checked our planner and Carnival's plan is $109 per person (it is possible that the cost has gone down over time as with many things cruise related they like to use dynamic pricing).

• Like 1

I have used my travel insurance once and had no problem. It is with my Bank of America card. The card it $95.00 a year and well worth the cost just because of the insurance. We cruise a lot. 4-6 times a year on the average. You must use the card for your booking. The perks and points are also good. Only one draw back. You cannot cancel for no reason at all.