Grand- On Demand Television and Movies?s

SwimCarrie

I'm pulling the trigger and paying for this cruise today if someone can confirm that Grand Princess has On Demand TV and movies now.

Save your opinions. I have an 11 and 12 year old at home and haven't held the remote or had control of the TV in 12 years. 🤣

On Demand movies would be the greatest thing!!! 

• Haha 1

Hi, no judgement here.  

We were on the final Grand sailing before covid, the one that landed us at Travis in quarantine.  We spent days (all or most of 7 actually) confined to cabin so we used the VOD a lot.

The good news is Grand was upgraded to the full Medallion Class entertainment experience in the dry dock prior to our sailing in February of 2019.  The system was good and we used it a fair bit before the confinement started.  Once we were locked down they added MUCH more content to keep us "happy" this was done every day, in a somewhat haphazard fashion (meaning movies ended up under the TV shows menu and vice versa etc).  By the end of our stay on board something like 200 movies and TV series were available.  This wouldn't be the "normal" experience but it does show how capable the system is.  I think you'll be impressed.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL!  Great post btw.  We were on the Majestic  in August and they did have quite a few movies to choose from.  I tried to watch one movie 3 or 4 times and kept falling asleep, still no idea how it ended.

I have Netflix on my iPad and watched a few on there also.  

Hey,  no judgment here doing what makes me happy and just kicking back and watching movies in bed is a treat I don't get at home.  Plus with the Princess Plus day drinking takes a toll, have fun!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jondfk said:

Hi, no judgement here.  

We were on the final Grand sailing before covid, the one that landed us at Travis in quarantine.  We spent days (all or most of 7 actually) confined to cabin so we used the VOD a lot.

The good news is Grand was upgraded to the full Medallion Class entertainment experience in the dry dock prior to our sailing in February of 2019.  The system was good and we used it a fair bit before the confinement started.  Once we were locked down they added MUCH more content to keep us "happy" this was done every day, in a somewhat haphazard fashion (meaning movies ended up under the TV shows menu and vice versa etc).  By the end of our stay on board something like 200 movies and TV series were available.  This wouldn't be the "normal" experience but it does show how capable the system is.  I think you'll be impressed.

Hope this helps.

I like VOD, but not when under quarantine!!!! 🤣 So glad you're okay! 

Did they have real TV shows and decent movies on your initial sailing? I haven't seen many movies (again...I blame the kids...lol), so most will be new to me!

The thought of grabbing pizza, bringing it back to the room and starting a movie sounds simply amazing. (TMI if I say I'm getting back into my jammies? Lol)

Thank you so much for the information!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

I like VOD, but not when under quarantine!!!! 🤣 So glad you're okay! 

Did they have real TV shows and decent movies on your initial sailing? I haven't seen many movies (again...I blame the kids...lol), so most will be new to me!

The thought of grabbing pizza, bringing it back to the room and starting a movie sounds simply amazing. (TMI if I say I'm getting back into my jammies? Lol)

Thank you so much for the information!

It was decent before quarantine, one example, the movie Ferrari vs Ford had recently been in theaters but I missed it, it was on VOD before lockdown.  As for TV that's quite subjective of course, we watch a lot of HGTV at home and there was a decent selection of titles upon boarding the ship.  Quite a lot of popular sitcoms too, Big Bang, Modern Family that sort of thing.  We're not big on crime drama (I know lots love them) so can't say we surfed in that area.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jondfk said:

It was decent before quarantine, one example, the movie Ferrari vs Ford had recently been in theaters but I missed it, it was on VOD before lockdown.  As for TV that's quite subjective of course, we watch a lot of HGTV at home and there was a decent selection of titles upon boarding the ship.  Quite a lot of popular sitcoms too, Big Bang, Modern Family that sort of thing.  We're not big on crime drama (I know lots love them) so can't say we surfed in that area.

Ferrari vs Ford!!!!!  That's the one I never did see the ending for.  I'll catch up on our next cruise 😀

Absolutely no snarky reply from me.  We always spend a day or two of our cruise in our stateroom watching a movie or even past episodes of The Love Boat and order room service.  
Anyway, the Grand had On Demand movies and shows prior to the pandemic … so, I would imagine it’s expanded even a bit more by now.  
Enjoy your cruise 🚢 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

An "on demand" movie is great for laundry day. Being able to pause the movie is a big advantage when running back and forth between the cabin and the laundry room.

Speaking of laundry...I guess you feel comfortable leaving it? I haven't used a common laundry since college and I wasn't sure how much people are to be trusted. (We didn't leave it in college, lest we have something stolen, removed before the load was done, or inexplicably pink) 🤣 I have to do laundry right away, so that's good info for me. 

I'm totally looking forward to on demand. Way too excited. Lol. 

1 hour ago, SwimCarrie said:

Speaking of laundry...I guess you feel comfortable leaving it? I haven't used a common laundry since college and I wasn't sure how much people are to be trusted. (We didn't leave it in college, lest we have something stolen, removed before the load was done, or inexplicably pink) 🤣 I have to do laundry right away, so that's good info for me. 

I'm totally looking forward to on demand. Way too excited. Lol. 

We set a timer for each load. We don't worry about thieves but it's rude when people just leave their stuff in the washer or drier. There are lots of folks who want to use the laundry facilities. We like to return a minute or two before the load is due to finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1