Stargazing

ToxM

So we have booked the Capetown - Rio TA for Jan ‘24. 

This happily gives me the possibility of crossing my top two bucket list items off my list. The stars of the Southern Hemisphere and St Helena. 

Experts of Regent, what are the chances of there being an evening night time activity to do some stargazing during the sea days, has this ever happened whilst any of you have enjoyed a cruise? I certainly will be popping up to the top deck on my own a couple of the nights, but if there was a possibility of lights being dimmed to make it even better I would be super happy. 

TIA!

Same Regent experience as mrlevin--ours was also a few years back on Voyager in the South Pacific area.  One of the ship's officers was on deck for about two hours in the wee hours on one or two occasion offering commentary on The Southern Cross (real one; vs. the one most folks falsely ascribe as The Cross).  

But, without doubt, our best experience was more than a few years ago.  March, 1998 when aboard the Seabourn Legend for a Pacific crossing from Tahiti to Costa Rica.  One of the Guest Lecturers was astronomer/artist Jon Lomberg.  Lomberg did the graphics for "Contact".  Jodi Foster-Matthew McConaughey movie based on Carl Sagan's book.   Several lectures during the day augmented with a series of star charts provided to each guest outlining the Southern Sky we would see that particular night if we met with Jon in the wee hours for best visibility. 

There were only about 110 guests aboard; normally, about half (including us) joined Jon for those late  night observations accompanied by his running commentary.  Ship's lights dimmed to the minimum required by maritime regulations.  

This was topped-off by a midnight showing of "Contact" at an on-deck venue complete with popcorn and cocktails.  Just-about everyone was there.   Jon had given us the heads-up in earlier "still shots" from the movie as to the graphics he developed that were utilized during the filming.  It added to our enjoyment that we had seen the movie earlier; now we had the opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes account of how it was filmed; and its accuracy as to astronomical references.   

One does not forget that experience. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Yes, the Navigation Officer on Mariner hosted a star gazing whilst on the Australia Circumnaivgation a few years ago.  I don't think running lights were turned off but it still worked out well.

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

Same Regent experience as mrlevin--ours was also a few years back on Voyager in the South Pacific area.  One of the ship's officers was on deck for about two hours in the wee hours on one or two occasion offering commentary on The Southern Cross (real one; vs. the one most folks falsely ascribe as The Cross).  

But, without doubt, our best experience was more than a few years ago.  March, 1998 when aboard the Seabourn Legend for a Pacific crossing from Tahiti to Costa Rica.  One of the Guest Lecturers was astronomer/artist Jon Lomberg.  Lomberg did the graphics for "Contact".  Jodi Foster-Matthew McConaughey movie based on Carl Sagan's book.   Several lectures during the day augmented with a series of star charts provided to each guest outlining the Southern Sky we would see that particular night if we met with Jon in the wee hours for best visibility. 

There were only about 110 guests aboard; normally, about half (including us) joined Jon for those late  night observations accompanied by his running commentary.  Ship's lights dimmed to the minimum required by maritime regulations.  

This was topped-off by a midnight showing of "Contact" at an on-deck venue complete with popcorn and cocktails.  Just-about everyone was there.   Jon had given us the heads-up in earlier "still shots" from the movie as to the graphics he developed that were utilized during the filming.  It added to our enjoyment that we had seen the movie earlier; now we had the opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes account of how it was filmed; and its accuracy as to astronomical references.   

One does not forget that experience. 

GOARMY!

Thank you both! Since I fell in love with the night sky aged around 12 (I am about to hit the magic 50) I have wanted to see the Southern Sky, and being able to do it on board a ship on a TA sounds magical!

Extra excited now!

21 hours ago, ToxM said:

Thank you both! Since I fell in love with the night sky aged around 12 (I am about to hit the magic 50) I have wanted to see the Southern Sky, and being able to do it on board a ship on a TA sounds magical!

Extra excited now!

To Quote C,S, and N: "When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand now why you came this way."

17 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

To Quote C,S, and N: "When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand now why you came this way."

I have wanted to see the southern sky for so long I will probably cry!

5 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Stargazing while at sea is marginal at best due to the high humidity. Will you be able to see the Southern Cross; sure. But don't expect the stars to be as crisp or bright as a clear dark location on land. 

Got to take my opportunities where I can get them 🙂 I will make the most of the situation 🙂

• Like 2