Covid-19 test

joeyancho

Just now, joeyancho said:

Does anyone know if m s c offers the covid test at the pier upon check-in? If not can someone please suggest a rapid covid test site in Miami.  Our cruise is November 6th.  Thank you in advance for your help

They do not offer it at the pier anymore. If you’re flying into Miami they have testing at the airport there was another thread on here with the details. If you search for it above it should come up. 

We cruised on September 6th from Miami. Antigen tests were given free of charge to our under 12 children right at the port before embarkation, however, I don’t know or think that these will be made available to adults who show up at the port without their required Covid test. 

As a side note, we scheduled two separate Covid tests before our cruise before leaving home; a PCR test from CVS 3 days before the cruise and a NAAT test from Walgreens 2 days before the cruise. Both were free of charge. We received our PCR results within 24 hours of taking the test and we received our NAAT results within 1 hour of taking the test. 

Best of luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

As a side note, we scheduled two separate Covid tests before our cruise before leaving home; a PCR test from CVS 3 days before the cruise and a NAAT test from Walgreens 2 days before the cruise. Both were free of charge. We received our PCR results within 24 hours of taking the test and we received our NAAT results within 1 hour of taking the test. 

Thanks, this is good to know!  For some reason I thought the NAAT results may take longer; thus, I scheduled the Rapid-result test (antigen) from CVS two days prior to our cruise since we're flying the U.S. to Barcelona for our Virtuosa cruise.  

CVS allows you to book a test about 10 days ahead.  Walgreens, about 2 or 3 days.  I had my CVS appointment, but, kept checking Walgreens.  As soon as Walgreens opened up, I booked that.  MSC also allows you to use the Binax AG card peoctored test, which you order and can do at home.  There's multiple threads here about the difference between this test and the one you buy OTC at drugstores, which is not acceptable.  

6 hours ago, long4acruise said:

For some reason I thought the NAAT results may take longer

The NAAT test offered at Walgreens is called IDNOW and, according to their website, you can expect results within 24 hours. However, both times I’ve taken this test (in July and September) the results were back in about an hour. IDNOW tests are processed in store which allows for a quick turnaround time. 

Even though I had both PCR and NAAT results with me, I showed the NAAT results at check in to make sure that MSC would accept them, and they did. 

14 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The NAAT test offered at Walgreens is called IDNOW and, according to their website, you can expect results within 24 hours. However, both times I’ve taken this test (in July and September) the results were back in about an hour. IDNOW tests are processed in store which allows for a quick turnaround time. 

Even though I had both PCR and NAAT results with me, I showed the NAAT results at check in to make sure that MSC would accept them, and they did. 

Is the Walgreen IDNOW test acceptable to MSC?
I have an appointment for Antigen test at CVS which is 1/2 hour from my house.
However CVS is 5 min.

43 minutes ago, roberttz said:

Is the Walgreen IDNOW test acceptable to MSC?
I have an appointment for Antigen test at CVS which is 1/2 hour from my house.
However CVS is 5 min.

It was accepted when we sailed on September 3rd aboard the Meraviglia. The MSC website states that NAAT tests are acceptable even for non-vaccinated guests, and IDNOW is considered an NAAT test. 

That question about the IDNOW test had been asked repeatedly here on Cruise Critic with no clear answer, so I did both PCR and IDNOW tests. When I arrived at the port of Miami, I showed the IDNOW results first on purpose to see if they’d accept them, and they did. The paperwork was checked twice, first upon entering the terminal and the second time during the actual check in time when the agent scanned the results into their computer. There wasn’t  a single question or issue with the IDNOW results so I never showed the PCR results. I didn’t need to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

We cruised on September 6th from Miami. Antigen tests were given free of charge to our under 12 children right at the port before embarkation, however, I don’t know or think that these will be made available to adults who show up at the port without their required Covid test. 

Best of luck! 

MSC stopped testing at the pier.

Beginning Sept 13th passengers are now responsible for having their testing done prior to embarkation (2-3 days prior depending on vaccination status/age i.e. children under 12)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

They tested 18th sept in Kiel. Seaview, Baktic sea. 

The OP is cruising from Miami (Caribbean)so that’s what we’re talking about on this thread. 

Edited by styles27

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

MSC stopped testing at the pier.

Beginning Sept 13th passengers are now responsible for having their testing done prior to embarkation (2-3 days prior depending on vaccination status/age i.e. children under 12)

When we cruised on September 3rd, MSC had already stopped testing at the pier and requiring passengers to take a test prior to embarkation 3 days prior to sailing (this changes to 2 days prior beginning on Sept 13th). 

What MSC failed to inform us was that, even with the requirement to test prior to embarkation, children under the age of 12 and too young to be vaccinated would be tested again at the pier during the check in process. 

We had a 10:00am check in time and when we arrived at the port of Miami, we realized that everybody checking in at that time were families traveling with small children and requiring extra time for this additional step.

I went back over and over to re read the health and safety protocols to see if I’d missed something, but the extra test at the port for children under 12 was not specified. We learned about it upon arriving at the port. 

20 minutes ago, Tapi said:

When we cruised on September 3rd, MSC had already stopped testing at the pier and requiring passengers to take a test prior to embarkation 3 days prior to sailing (this changes to 2 days prior beginning on Sept 13th). 

What MSC failed to inform us was that, even with the requirement to test prior to embarkation, children under the age of 12 and too young to be vaccinated would be tested again at the pier during the check in process. 

We had a 10:00am check in time and when we arrived at the port of Miami, we realized that everybody checking in at that time were families traveling with small children and requiring extra time for this additional step.

I went back over and over to re read the health and safety protocols to see if I’d missed something, but the extra test at the port for children under 12 was not specified. We learned about it upon arriving at the port. 

The latest updates to MSC’s travel requirements on their website is dated Sept 3rd the same day of your cruise so that could explain it. 

My BIL and his family cruised a few days after you guys did on that same ship and they did not test his 4 and 2 yr olds at the pier. 

So as seems to be the case with MSC what they do with one sailing may not happen the next.

Edit to add did you cruise the 3rd or the 6th? Lol now I’m confused because you wrote 6th above which would put you on the same time as our family. 

Edited by styles27

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Edit to add did you cruise the 3rd or the 6th? Lol now I’m confused because you wrote 6th above which would put you on the same time as our family. 

That was my mistake. Our sailing departed on Sept 3rd and returned Sept 6th. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, styles27 said:

Are we 100% sure that MSC accepts testing done at the MIA testing site? This is our plan now since they changed it from 3 days to 2. I'd feel better hearing from someone who tested there and was allowed to board the ship. (I called the testing site yesterday, but the woman I spoke with didn't know.)

54 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Are we 100% sure that MSC accepts testing done at the MIA testing site? This is our plan now since they changed it from 3 days to 2. I'd feel better hearing from someone who tested there and was allowed to board the ship. (I called the testing site yesterday, but the woman I spoke with didn't know.)

Our family members, 2 vaccinated adults and 2 unvaccinated children were all tested when they landed in Miami the day of their cruise and yes MSC accepted their results. They had their results in an email with all of the required info.  

Edited by styles27
Spelling
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Our family members, 2 vaccinated adults and 2 unvaccinated children were all tested when they landed in Miami the day of their cruise and yes MSC accepted their results. They had their results in an email with all of the required info.  

Great!!!  Thank you! 

We're flying in on Thursday before cruise departs on Saturday. Had planned on testing here at home the day before leaving, but then everything changed. We leave for the airport at 8am and didn't want to change our flights again. Testing at the airport seems like the best way to go now. Your reply has really taken a load off stress wise. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

Great!!!  Thank you! 

We're flying in on Thursday before cruise departs on Saturday. Had planned on testing here at home the day before leaving, but then everything changed. We leave for the airport at 8am and didn't want to change our flights again. Testing at the airport seems like the best way to go now. Your reply has really taken a load off stress wise. 😊

You’re very welcome!

My BIL and SIL flew in the day of their cruise (crazy I know) so they had booked an appt for their tests ahead of time.
 I reached out to her by text to see which terminal they tested in (there are a couple of locations at the airport) but she hasn’t responded yet. 
I think since you’re flying in a couple of days before you’ll be less pressured to have to get the test done immediately so you can make the ship. 
I never could have done it the way they did, especially with 2 small children. Way too stressful for me lol

From MIA website (posted May 20 , 2021):

The Central Terminal facility, operated by Communitel and Family Rehab, Inc. and located at MIA’s Concourse E ground level median in front of Door 11, provides Antigen and Rapid PCR tests with results within 15 minutes and PCR tests with results within 40 minutes. The facility is open daily 24 hours a day for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. For testing costs or to schedule an appointment, call 305-869-1161. Customers will receive a written test result, or results can be emailed upon request.

MIA’s South Terminal testing facility, operated by Nomi Health and located near the Concourse H TSA Checkpoint on the departures level at Door 20, provides Antigen, PCR, and Rapid PCR tests daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. PCR test results are provided within 24 hours, Rapid PCR test results within one hour with an oral swab, and Antigen results are available within 15 minutes. Notifications and results are provided to customers via text and/or email. For costs and to make an appointment, visit the Nomi Health website or call toll free (833) 685-0700.

Edited by Rhea98

3 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

From MIA website (posted May 20 , 2021):

The Central Terminal facility, operated by Communitel and Family Rehab, Inc. and located at MIA’s Concourse E ground level median in front of Door 11, provides Antigen and Rapid PCR tests with results within 15 minutes and PCR tests with results within 40 minutes. The facility is open daily 24 hours a day for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. For testing costs or to schedule an appointment, call 305-869-1161. Customers will receive a written test result, or results can be emailed upon request.

MIA’s South Terminal testing facility, operated by Nomi Health and located near the Concourse H TSA Checkpoint on the departures level at Door 20, provides Antigen, PCR, and Rapid PCR tests daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. PCR test results are provided within 24 hours, Rapid PCR test results within one hour with an oral swab, and Antigen results are available within 15 minutes. Notifications and results are provided to customers via text and/or email. For costs and to make an appointment, visit the Nomi Health website or call toll free (833) 685-0700.

Thank you.  I called the one in concourse E yesterday. Their long recorded message said that a rapid antigen is $79.