Prohibited items

neverlaysup

Just now, chengkp75 said:

In fact, it is the Captain who deems items to be appropriate, as the cruise line's legal representative, or his representatives, acting under his orders and, under the ISM (International Safety Management) Code, the Captain has "overriding authority" when making decisions regarding the safety of passengers, crew, ship, and environment (meaning he cannot be "second guessed" by anyone at corporate at the time).  But, yes, it does imply a variance to corporate policy, but it can happen.

I agree. Of course, it begs the question of whether or not the Captain was even aware of what transpired. The fact that the items were eventually returned suggests that the original seizure was not because of a ban of these items by the Captain.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree. Of course, it begs the question of whether or not the Captain was even aware of what transpired. The fact that the items were eventually returned suggests that the original seizure was not because of a ban of these items by the Captain.

Was the confiscation incorrect?  Yes.  Was it a mistake?  Yes.  Was it allowed, and legal?  Also yes.  And, in the maritime world, whether the Captain knows what a subordinate does or not, he/she is ultimately responsible for their actions, as it is assumed they are acting under his orders.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Was the confiscation incorrect?  Yes.  Was it a mistake?  Yes.  Was it allowed, and legal?  Also yes.

"Allowed" may be stretching it in this case.  I doubt of security has the authority to decide on their own what's legit and what is not irrespective of any guidance by corporate, or even the captain.  While security may act in their role as representatives of the carrier (just like anyone else on the ship), they are not "the carrier".

I'll extend this to the "silly" as I often do to present a contractural argument to demonstrate its potential validity.  What if security decided that underwear was no longer permitted?  Do they have the authority to do so alone in their capacity aboard ship?  I'm guessing not.

Edited by canderson

I understand the need for safety and respect the captain’s authority. I’d just like some uniformity in the rules or at least to know ahead of time if heated styling tools are not allowed, even if it is on a ship by ship basis.

It is no laughing matter to try to figure out how to make yourself presentable if you are suddenly without the means to do so.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

"Allowed" may be stretching it in this case.  I doubt of security has the authority to decide on their own what's legit and what is not irrespective of any guidance by corporate, or even the captain.  While security may act in their role as representatives of the carrier (just like anyone else on the ship), they are not "the carrier".

That would depend on who did the removal.  If it was port security on the pier, you are possibly correct, but if it was ship's security after a bag was flagged, then they are "the carrier", since the Captain is legally "the carrier" on that ship.  He has the authority to act in any manner on the company's behalf.

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

... if it was ship's security after a bag was flagged, then they are "the carrier", since the Captain is legally "the carrier" on that ship.  He has the authority to act in any manner on the company's behalf.

See post #103.  Captain <> Security, and if all of the narrative is as we've heard here, those in authority above the security team didn't seem to have an issue with these items, much less the captain.

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

See post #103.  Captain <> Security, and if all of the narrative is as we've heard here, those in authority above the security team didn't seem to have an issue with these items, much less the captain.

See post #102.  Not sure I can be clearer.  A confiscation was made, as is allowed, but the item was incorrectly confiscated.  I agree that it was incorrect, what I am saying is that a confiscation is allowed.

Allowed at the whim of security?  I doubt corporate instruction or those from the captain allow for that.  I would agree that the *contract* allows for the arbitrary confiscation of entire suitcases regardless of content.  My point is that I doubt security has been given sole discretion by either corporate or the captain about what they can snag from a suitcase.  In other words, I doubt security is 'allowed' to make up whatever rules suit them on the fly.  The logical extension which makes the fallacy of that clearer would be the underwear ban!😄

Edited by canderson

I understand that security has the right to "confiscate" an item based on their discretion (although there is definitely a lot to talk about with the item confiscated being specifically listed as allowed). My biggest concern remains on the lack of any notification that an item was confiscated with the bag just sent to the customer as if it was a normal delivery of luggage. If a cruise line has the right to go through our luggage and remove items at their discretion without even telling us they have, are we not giving them the right to take anything they want? Isn't this a very dangerous policy to just accept -- which assumes that this is their new policy vs one individual violating Celebrity's policy as a single fluke -- which is what I am hoping. 

I am perhaps more sensitive to this issue as I did have theft occur at the security station on a Celebrity cruise where I put my sunglasses through the machine, forgot them only as long as it took for me to get on the ship (pushing my dad in a wheelchair so a bit distracted).  I immediately asked if I could get off to grab them which I was told no. They said they called the port immediately but no one ever found them .  200 dollar Rey Bans that I just had to accept as "lost" (read stolen). 

The previous posters felt very confident that Celebrity would not deliver a bag with a questionable item in it, but would rather send it to the naughty room to have the passenger watch as the bag was opened.  I am hoping that this is still the policy and that the poster's wife's experience is just about an individual crew member not following policy rather than a change in Celebrity's way of handling its passengers' possessions. 

7 minutes ago, sherylc said:

I understand that security has the right to "confiscate" an item based on their discretion...

I don't believe we have any confirmation from any source that security personnel are allowed full latitude in their choice of items.  I'd be surprised if that were the case.  I'd gamble that they have an SOP that they are required to work to, supplied by corporate.

I once lost a bottle of Bailey’s and mouse pad going through security going to a Cunard ship.   Here I was thinking they were taken by the port security.   Ten days into our cruise we were discussing this loss at our dinner table when a couple there said they had taken the package from the belt by mistake.   When they realized this they kept it instead of taking it to the ships purser.      They figured the bottle was illegal (never on Cunard) and didn’t want to get us in trouble.   They did give us the mouse pad.    I will bet your sunglasses were picked up “mistakenly” by another passenger who followed you through security.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Agree with others.   Never had something confiscated.   I was called down to the naughty room where they advised they had to hold the item and then issued a check ticket to  pick up at end of cruise.

Happened to me as well.....More than once!!!!