Are 2022 sailings booking as 'normal' or just a percentage of passengers?

lupaglupa

We're booked for a cruise in February 2022 and looking online it seems that few cabins are still available. Does this truly mean that the ship will be full or nearly full? Or is HAL holding back cabins to keep the numbers low? I'm happy either way - just curious. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also booked for a cruise in February 2022 and was curious about the same thing. It would be nice to be at a reduced capacity, but not at the expense of having a replay of all this virus madness. I'll just be happy to go either way!

I'd be skeptical, especially if it's Caribbean, with all the ships down there combined with all the uncertainty; I suppose there could be pent up demand but we never saw that with Alaska despite some very inviting prices.  Also, many of the sailings looked fully booked or close to it and then a few weeks later all sorts of availability came up. 

I was on phone with a HAL rep last week who said they were committed to reduced capacity until at least April 2022.  It is still a dynamic situation due to global Covid concerns. Apparently, every time they sail without issue, the cruise lines have opportunity to increase number of passengers per the CDC for US departures.

• Like 1

It would be nice to know what is reliable feedback from HAL?  Is the protocol policy, issued by Carnival on 10/13/21, now cast in stone?  Will the CDC be calling the shots after 10/31/21?  My prior thinking was that Feb. 2022 demand was high. --- but keeping an eye on pricing may still be a good indication.  Keeping the two day testing in place, is tough for travel planning---still; we have not cancelled.🥺

One thing to remember as well is that the definition of full capacity may have changed as I believe they are required to keep some number of rooms available for quarantine.  It was reported on the NA that they had set aside 60 rooms for this.  This may not last forever or the number may change.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, Sebbiesgrammy said:

I was on phone with a HAL rep last week who said they were committed to reduced capacity until at least April 2022.  It is still a dynamic situation due to global Covid concerns. Apparently, every time they sail without issue, the cruise lines have opportunity to increase number of passengers per the CDC for US departures.

I am not sure the person you talked to knew what they were talking about. As far I as am aware, HAL has sailed 12 or 15 (at least) cruises without incident. They started at 50%. You would think they would be up to 80% or more by now.

Capacity may also not have increased much yet because there is still a lot of people not ready to cruise yet.