Port canaveral… anyrhing walking distance?

soozles

Good evening all! We are going to be on the Anthem of the Seas in November, which will be stopping in Port Canaveral. We will be with our 2 and 3 Year olds, weren’t planning on lugging car seats around, and don’t see any excursion that interests us. Is there anything within walking distance? Even if it’s just a park or a some nice scenery? Just to get off the ship for a bit. I remember last time we were there, we went to the beach and it was quite rough in the water. 

Royal has first call at Terminal 1 and this is probably where you'll be parked ..... I'll mention the alternate in a bit.  From T-1, Jetty Park is about 1.5 miles to the east at the port enterance. Walking entry is free (there is a fee to park). It is NOT a straight walk tho and there is plenty of industrial traffic in the area. There is beach and concessions and a fishing pier and from this beach technically you could walk all the way south to Sebastian Inlet .. 38 miles. This beach has lifeguards and altho one can not predict conditions it IS one of the most popular beach areas around here. Immediately to the west of T-1 is the Glenn Cheek entertainment area with several restaurants right on the water's edge (pier) including Grills and Fishlips and others and a few places 'away' from the edge too (brewpub). Outside deck at Grills is a good place to hang out with good chance of spotting dolphin and turtles and enuf space for kids to move about.   Exploration tower is about 1/3 mile west and easily walkable (sidewalks) and from the observation platform you can look over the space complex ....

image.thumb.png.09e17773bd57ba0e0bf8e60884104129.png

If you are NOT at T-1 you will probably end up in the west basin / north side of the port and there is virtually NOTHING you can walk to from here as the north side is separated from south by a draw bridge which is NOT pedestrian friendly .... no sidewalks and security WILL stop you.

There is a small space 'history center' just outside the space force base enterance (Cape Canaveral AFS) .... but the old 'museum' is INSIDE of the security gates and only opens for 'approved tours'  https://afspacemuseum.org/artifacts/history-center/

And of course there is always the possibility of a launch so watch one of the web sites with those date (but even if scheduled they cancel/move often so don't COUNT on it). Of if a SpaceX launch happened not too long b4, you might see a booster return on the barge and/or being offloaded .... in the picture above you can see the port cargo area actually FULL of SpaceX hardware . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

I would avoid Grills, tho, especially with health - vulnerable little ones along. 

Owner was recently quoted in the local paper saying that God came to him and told him not to get vaccinated, and told him not to have his staff vaccinated. 

Consequently, it will be a haven for local anti-vaxers. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I would avoid Grills, tho, especially with health - vulnerable little ones along. 

Owner was recently quoted in the local paper saying that God came to him and told him not to get vaccinated, and told him not to have his staff vaccinated. 

Damn.  Change of plans, then.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Ugh that stinks… maybe we’ll walk to the Jetty park if we dock at terminal 1

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Wow!!!  That’s crazy!!! 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:29 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

That is simply NOT TRUE, as anyone who has Google can discover.

Here are the direct quotes from Spectrum News Channel 13.

We are going encourage people that wanted to get vaccinated. I am not here to bash that vaccine. I am here to stand what I believe my faith tells me to do, and I am going to give my employees that choice also," said Penovich 

Under the president's order Peonvich is aware they will have to follow other rules if employees are not vaccinated. 

“We are going to comply with all of the other the regulations that we can, we are going to do everything possible to do that, but I am not going to require grounds for employment a vaccine for those that don't want to take it.”

He is giving his employees their freedom of choice and they will be complying with the safety standards as they have been all along.

Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar is great and people should not be making decisions based on the misinformation of one person.

Looks like he changed his tune for the TV reporter after there were calls for boycott in the newspaper.

Misinformation from Florida Today newspaper, September 17, 2021:

Joe Penovich, part owner of Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bars in Port Canaveral, Melbourne and Orlando, as well as Sunrise Marina and Obsession Fishing Charters, won't ask his 400-plus workers to get vaccinated.

"From a personal perspective, I believe God told me not to take this vaccine," he wrote in the letter sent to his employees earlier this week and posted on Instagram Wednesday. "I don't make a statement like that lightly and I haven't shared that position publicly until now. It happened in a very powerful way, during an intentional sabbatical of prayer, way before the debate became so heated or possibility of government action existed."

Edited by EatonDoolittle

21 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Looks like he changed his tune for the TV reporter after there were calls for boycott in the newspaper.

Show me where quote where Mr. Penovich said, "God told me to not to have my staff vaccinated", since that was the allegation of the previous poster. Did you read the letter he sent out?

I'm  not looking to pick a fight, I'll leave that to those here who seem to enjoy it.

I stated my opinion, quoted the source. 

It's a choice - the owner, his staff, and the consumer. Spend your money there, or don't.

Families are investing a lot of time, effort, money, anxiety, masking, testing, and so on to enjoy a cruise vacation while being as safe from illness as is possible.

Knowingly going to a location where the healthy "bubble" is not encouraged might be something to consider when making decisions on shore.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I'm  not looking to pick a fight, I'll leave that to those here who seem to enjoy it.

It's a choice - the owner, his staff, and the consumer. Spend your money there, or don't.

Families are investing a lot of time, effort, money, anxiety, masking, testing, and so on to enjoy a cruise vacation while being as safe from illness as is possible.

Knowingly going to a location where the healthy "bubble" is not encouraged might be something to consider when making decisions on shore.  

FWIW I read a Y*lp review of Fishlips (after deciding against Grills after the above) and saw that the servers were no longer wearing masks.  It was dated August.  Is that the current state of affairs thereabouts?

4 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

The choice should be make using accurate information.

1 hour ago, pbenjamin said:

FWIW I read a Y*lp review of Fishlips.....

Yelp has become a political battleground. I am skeptical of reviews in general, but especially ones that praise one place while slamming another.

clarify: about 50% of restaurants have masked servers . . . ...... .... usually it is one way or the other .... seldom a mix of masked and not in the same place but OCCASIONALLY you see this too. I 'believe' in this case a vaccinated server is not masked ......

p.s. the grills article but it HAS been updated from the original in Florida Today

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2021/09/17/grills-owner-covid-vaccines-biden/8369216002/

Joe Penovich, part owner of Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bars in Port Canaveral, Melbourne and Orlando, as well as Sunrise Marina and Obsession Fishing Charters, won't ask his 400-plus workers to get vaccinated.

"From a personal perspective, I believe God told me not to take this vaccine," he wrote in the letter sent to his employees earlier this week and posted on Instagram Wednesday. "I don't make a statement like that lightly and I haven't shared that position publicly until now. It happened in a very powerful way, during an intentional sabbatical of prayer, way before the debate became so heated or possibility of government action existed."

Because of these personal convictions, he wrote that he "will never require any person to get the Covid vaccine as a condition of employment."

Penovich said in the letter that he knows his position won't be popular with everyone.

"I realize there is a deep divide over this issue that will most likely never be resolved," he wrote. "I also realize if you're not a believer, that statement may seem ridiculous. That divide is much more consequential, but I know the religion of Christianity has often been very politicized, very ugly and very wrong. I pray that begins to change among the followers of Jesus Christ."

On 10/2/2021 at 10:29 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

Owner was recently quoted in the local paper saying that God came to him and told him not to get vaccinated, and told him not to have his staff vaccinated. Consequently, it will be a haven for local anti-vaxers. 

The first part is flat out false. The second part is an assumption based on nothing.

16 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Then stop posting false or misleading information. Don't quote the story, post the actual letter that the owner sent out. Here is it Joe Penovich letter.

Clearly he says in his letter, “We will support the right and aid the efforts of those who do want to want to be vaccinated.” All he said is he won't fire someone who chooses not to be vaccinated, which is a long ways from your original statement.

16 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Again, false and misleading information.

8 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Because of these personal convictions, he wrote that he "will never require any person to get the Covid vaccine as a condition of employment."

And he also wrote, “We will support the right and aid the efforts of those who do want to want to be vaccinated.”

He isn't discouraging employees who want to be vaccinated from getting one, he says he will support and aid them, which is a far cry from the original statements about the restaurant.

not me ... since his very public statements I have the place on my 'no fly' list ..... from his 'river' location there is a very very good alternative very very close and they DO mask and it is where we go . . . <better food too>

Edited by Capt_BJ

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

not me ... since his very public statements I have the place on my 'no fly' list ..... from his 'river' location there is a very very good alternative very very close and they DO mask and it is where we go . . . <better food too>

And are you going to divulge the name of this very very good alternative?

4 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

we will be in the area in a week and a half.  Please give us the name of this restaurant…..thanks!!