MSC changing testing requirements for U.S. residents on Mediterranean cruises

shepesh1

It seems , as of October 1st , MSC has changed testing requirements for US residents on Mediterranean cruises again. They no longer accept antigen tests and require PCR tests now within a window of 72 hours. PCR tests often take much longer to get the results and since we will basically spend more than a day in planes and airports to get to Barcelona ,we have to scramble to find ways to meet the criteria. We were planning to do the supervised home rapid antigen test in Barcelona. If we would have known this before final payment, we would have canceled or at least changed flight planning etc.

While we are experienced cruisers, this is our first MSC cruise. With the experience we have had with their constantly changing policies and the joke that they call customer service, I wonder why anyone would book a cruise with this company. I understand the Covid19 situation but all other cruise companies pick a policy and stick to it. It seems like the people at MSC live to complicate things and make the customer service experience so hellish as to discourage people from coming back.

15 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

For the Caribbean cruises this doesn’t go into effect until December 4th.  Not sure about European ones.

For Med and N Europe: 

For all cruises through March 31, 2022, please review the following requirements to ensure that you are not denied boarding.

Grand Voyages and World Cruises: 

For all cruises starting from November 27, 2021 through March 31, 2022, please review the following requirements to ensure that you are not denied boarding.

Of Course the details specify the RT-PRC test. 

Edited by Rhea98

48 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

For the Caribbean cruises this doesn’t go into effect until December 4th.  Not sure about European ones.

Travel Updates - Updated Oct 1- check your region for new requirements.

For Caribbean cruises, Fully Vaccinated guests 12 and older requirement went into effect last week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Travel Updates - Updated Oct 1- check your region for new requirements.

For Caribbean cruises, Fully Vaccinated guests 12 and older requirement went into effect last week. 

Wrong.  Goes into effect December 4.

13F57A3D-14A4-4626-A2FF-FE29751D7F44.png

Edited by Lisichka

57 minutes ago, sidari said:

That guy failed to include the date it goes into effect and only says “winter cruises”.  It is clear on msc’s website it goes into effect December 4th for Southern Caribbean cruises.  No change for other Caribbean cruises.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/southern-caribbean

Edited by Lisichka
  • Like 1

For US Residents

For cruises departing from US Ports, Miami and Port Canaveral  to Caribbean Itinerary -  Effective Sept 13,  All guests , 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.

Antigen test OK for these passengers

For cruises departing from NON- US Ports to Southern Caribbean - Effective Dec 4, All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.

PCR test required for these passengers.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

That guy failed to include the date it goes into effect and only says “winter cruises”.  It is clear on msc’s website it goes into effect December 4th for Southern Caribbean cruises.  No change for other Caribbean cruises.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/southern-caribbean

It did not initially say Dec 4th. MSC changed it after they issued it. It was confusing as hell as people in the FB group I follow had screenshots from the same day saying three different things. So MSC to not proofread before posting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shepesh1 said:

It seems , as of October 1st , MSC has changed testing requirements for US residents on Mediterranean cruises again. They no longer accept antigen tests and require PCR tests now within a window of 72 hours. PCR tests often take much longer to get the results and since we will basically spend more than a day in planes and airports to get to Barcelona ,we have to scramble to find ways to meet the criteria. We were planning to do the supervised home rapid antigen test in Barcelona. If we would have known this before final payment, we would have canceled or at least changed flight planning etc.

While we are experienced cruisers, this is our first MSC cruise. With the experience we have had with their constantly changing policies and the joke that they call customer service, I wonder why anyone would book a cruise with this company. I understand the Covid19 situation but all other cruise companies pick a policy and stick to it. It seems like the people at MSC live to complicate things and make the customer service experience so hellish as to discourage people from coming back.

The airports all offer PCR testing and plenty of sites in Barcelona do it, including a couple with 2 hr turnaround if you are pushed for time. 

I do find the constant changing wearing. If almost prefer them to stick with the most protective, but I appreciate the cost would be prohibitive for many. I've literally just taken a massive detour from my Venice stay to take and pay for the PCT test for Tuesdays cruise, only to find that overnight they've reduced the requirement to an antigen test for UK passengers. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, Lisichka said:

wrong - that is for Southern Caribbean cruises from non-US ports.

NO change for Caribbean from US ports 2 days prior and antigen ok.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, shepesh1 said:

Where do you see 72 hours? I read 3 days for Mediterranean cruises for US guests - which is different than 72 hours. So if you sail on a Sunday - does that mean you can get tested Thursday, Friday or Saturday? https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean 

Be very careful to watch for updates.  MSC has just moved the goalposts again for Ireland and the UK for Med sailings.  We can now get either a PCR OR an antigen test, but it must be done within 48 hours of embarkation.  Only recently it was PCR only and within 72 hours. The same is going to have to apply for those from the US I’m sure.  The UK website was updated about 5 days ago, but the Ireland one was only updated today.  Even their info isn’t up to date!

• Like 2