Potential Shortage of Rapid Tests

carnivalman

Just read article about an impending shortage of rapid tests due to private and public employers frequently testing employees who are not vaccinated. This could create problems for testing 2 days prior to embarkation since PCR tests in many cases can take longer than 2 days to get results.   Complying with CDC guidelines will be harder and the cruise industry cannot afford another hit as a result of people unable to meet pre-cruise requirements 

5 minutes ago, carnivalman said:

Just read article about an impending shortage of rapid tests due to private and public employers frequently testing employees who are not vaccinated. This could create problems for testing 2 days prior to embarkation since PCR tests in many cases can take longer than 2 days to get results.   Complying with CDC guidelines will be harder and the cruise industry cannot afford another hit as a result of people unable to meet pre-cruise requirements 

you posted this twice within 1 minute of each

On 10/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, carnivalman said:

Well I guess I should buy cases of them and store next to all of the toilet paper in my garage!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well I guess I should buy cases of them and store next to all of the toilet paper in my garage!😀

...or eBay or here on CC!!!

I went into a local CVS last week to get my booster shot and there were several signs up saying "We do not have any C-19 Home Test Kits at this time and do not know when they will be in.."

Of course when it was my turn to approach the Tech I said "I Am here for a home test kit, please." Would you know they found four (4) of them under the counter and I chose to decline them as I was only there for a booster shot. They finally laughed after the disgust of making them pull them out when they only had to say 'sorry we do not have any at this time'...

Needless to say, they still like me.

bon voyage

• Haha 3

Could this also be why a few people have reported CVS cancelling testing appointments?  I did read the other day, on a CVS website, that there is the potential for supply problems.

Aaaand this is why I ordered BinaxNOW at-home test kits just in case, as a backup, just received them yesterday.

https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 3

A concern for cruisers- false positives in home test kits.  Fortunately this was a different brand (from Ellume -Australian)  - not the BinaxNow used by Celebrity.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/200000-covid-19-rapid-test-kits-recalled-concerns/story?id=80434158

But the USA announced an additional large investment ($1B) and is also buying up test kits at the same time to supply schools and other community needs.  So maybe order some well in advance of your cruise.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/10/06/1043786906/rapid-at-home-covid-tests-white-house