Negative Covid Test Required

JimmB

8 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I believe the BinaxNow can be selectively used. Viking clearly prefers PCR tests. But for those going to Italy and some other countries which require a COVID test, the BinaxNow proctored test (ie RX version) can be a good solution such as when there isn't enough time to get PCR results.

There are many reports online of BinaxNow being accepted for an Antigen test in Europe. A family member has used it several times in flying overseas without a hitch.

Nice news - but tough to take a chance on it and be wrong.

Need more documented proof I would say - and things in writing from Italy and Viking.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Nice news - but tough to take a chance on it and be wrong.

Need more documented proof I would say - and things in writing from Italy and Viking.

Forget getting something from Viking. Even if you do they could say it was an error. Italy...there is a lot of accounts of the BinaxNow (RX proctored test) being used online to get into Italy. Check Rick Steves and TripAdvisor. Family members have used it without anyone being questioned. You have to bring the document eMed provides. The US Embassy in Rome reaffirmed to me what is needed is documentation of a negative PCR or Rapid Antigen test.

• Like 1

We just returned from a West Indies trip on Orion.  Wonderful cruise even with the daily spit test but prior to departure we got a PCR test at a cost of $250 for 2 to insure the quick turn around.  First Viking said we had a 72 hr window unitl the time our flight left then changed it right before out test to be 48 hrs before we board.  We had to hustle around to make a change but made it ok. They modified their requirement to allow for other non-PCR tests.  Further when we were at embarkation they never asked for proof of the test.  We simply checked a box that said we had completed the test.  We heard of one quest on our trip that tested positive and was removed from the ship.  The ship was only half full which helped with the covid protocol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gulfjimbo said:

We just returned from a West Indies trip on Orion.  Wonderful cruise even with the daily spit test but prior to departure we got a PCR test at a cost of $250 for 2 to insure the quick turn around.  First Viking said we had a 72 hr window unitl the time our flight left then changed it right before out test to be 48 hrs before we board.  We had to hustle around to make a change but made it ok. They modified their requirement to allow for other non-PCR tests.  Further when we were at embarkation they never asked for proof of the test.  We simply checked a box that said we had completed the test.  We heard of one quest on our trip that tested positive and was removed from the ship.  The ship was only half full which helped with the covid protocol.

Can you give us some detail about onboard protocols?  Masks, distancing, how the restaurants are being operated, theater, shore excursions, and all the other activities that are altered by these procedures?

Thanks.

Edited by Donaghadee

Gulfjimbo...thank you for posting the information.

We are on the Jan 2 sailing to the West Indies and are looking for any and all information on how to proceed. Really do not want to have to do the PCR test as it is 200 pp here....an awful expense, will only do the antigen. Right now we are being told we will have 72 hours. As this is a new years eve sailing, all is closed here at noon on Dec 31 and Jan 1. So we will have to do it on the 30.

Any information is useful.

4 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We are on the Jan 2 sailing to the West Indies and are looking for any and all information on how to proceed. Really do not want to have to do the PCR test as it is 200 pp here....an awful expense, will only do the antigen. Right now we are being told we will have 72 hours. As this is a new years eve sailing, all is closed here at noon on Dec 31 and Jan 1. So we will have to do it on the 30.

Not sure where you live, but we just had PCR tests at CVS. We made appointments on line for 10AM yesterday (Sunday) and got our results in 23 hours (thankfully both negative).

On 11/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, goldwingers said:

I am currently onboard the Orion. We took this test on Monday for a Wednesday departure. We printed out the results from the link that was sent within minutes. When we embarked, the Viking rep checked the date of the test and the result and waved us through. Easy peasy. They also had a table set up in the terminal where they appeared to be administering rapid tests - I did not walk over and check it out, but there were lab techs and equipment set up. 

How are stringent are the mask rules while onboard? How rigid is enforcement? Any difference indoor/outdoor?

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

We don’t have CVS here in Colorado but we have Walgreens on about every corner, it seems.  Kinda like Starbucks.  

Anyway, testing at Walgreens is free.  Some Walgreens offer the BinaxNOW rapid test but here our only choice other than the PCR, which takes too long, is the ID Now rapid NAAT test which gets us results within 24 hrs.  They just today opened up appointments to be bookable 7 days out (it’s only been 3 days out since August) so a big improvement.  We sail on the 17th and I was just able to book our tests for the 15th.  👍 

Good luck!

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kitty allen said:

How are stringent are the mask rules while onboard? How rigid is enforcement? Any difference indoor/outdoor?

Masks, daily temperature check, daily PCR saliva testing, hand washing, mandatory health survey daily (Viking’s term) and sanitizing requested and supervised and enforced on the ship. Masks and hand sanitizer on excursions. Indoors, mask yes. Outdoors varies. Sanitizer enforcement at various points while on excursions. 
social distancing not really and impractical most often. 

9 hours ago, zelker said:

We don’t have CVS here in Colorado but we have Walgreens on about every corner, it seems.  Kinda like Starbucks.  

Anyway, testing at Walgreens is free.  Some Walgreens offer the BinaxNOW rapid test but here our only choice other than the PCR, which takes too long, is the ID Now rapid NAAT test which gets us results within 24 hrs.  They just today opened up appointments to be bookable 7 days out (it’s only been 3 days out since August) so a big improvement.  We sail on the 17th and I was just able to book our tests for the 15th.  👍 

Good luck!

Does Viking accept  Walgreen's ID NOW rapid NAAT test?  I spoke with Viking guest relations agent but he could not give me a specific answer about that test.   Our local Walgreens don't offer the binax now antigen test.

35 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Does Viking accept  Walgreen's ID NOW rapid NAAT test?  I spoke with Viking guest relations agent but he could not give me a specific answer about that test.   Our local Walgreens don't offer the binax now antigen test.

For cruises embarking in the US, currently yes.  Look under the Resources tab for your cruise ..

the latest guidance is dated October 29th and states NAAT, PCR, and Antigen done no more than two days prior to embarking the ship.

11 hours ago, zelker said:

Good luck!

Thanks for the 7 day appointment update. Just scheduled ours!!

• Like 1

We are doing our PCR test on Monday and plan to go to a local lab as opposed to CVS. For those living in a large enough metro, in theory, the lab should be quicker because it does the testing on site - no need for a courier to transport the specimen from a pharmacy. There is a CVS a half a mile from the lab, though, so if the lab appears iffy, we plan on making our appointment on the spot at CVS and going there.

4 hours ago, PKNC said:

We are doing our PCR test on Monday and plan to go to a local lab as opposed to CVS. For those living in a large enough metro, in theory, the lab should be quicker because it does the testing on site - no need for a courier to transport the specimen from a pharmacy. There is a CVS a half a mile from the lab, though, so if the lab appears iffy, we plan on making our appointment on the spot at CVS and going there.

if you have to go in to the local lab and there are other people there, I'd be careful.  We went to a local lab where there were people coughing and blowing there nose.  A few days late loved one tested positive for breakthrough covid.

1 hour ago, fudgbug said:

if you have to go in to the local lab and there are other people there, I'd be careful.  We went to a local lab where there were people coughing and blowing there nose.  A few days late loved one tested positive for breakthrough covid.

Agreed!  We like the drive up ones like CVS or Rite Aid if they are available.  Too many carriers at the local testing center where we are beginning to surge in positive cases - even among vaccinated people.

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Why would you do the PCR test if the antigen test is approved and so much cheaper and faster?

Perhaps because an antigen test is not approved for @PKNC's "Ancient Mediterranean Treasures" itinerary from Athens to Istanbul. From what I'm seeing, that itinerary calls for a PCR test.

• Like 1