Carnival Horizon first time back to back

mumofsons

Hi everyone I am not going to do a full report because I pretty sure I wouldn't be as great as some on here.  We just got back from our very first back to back and we were on the Horizon. Here are just a few of my observations and thoughts.

Let me just say the crew are amazing - with the 65% capacity they really have time to talk to you and get to know you.  They are all thanking the cruisers for coming back.  All around the ship you hear that as well as the cruisers saying how happy they were to be back sailing.

I can't comment on the ports - we didn't get off the ship until forced us yesterday morning :).

Food - We don't do buffets so we ate every morning in the Meridian dining room.  Bacon everyday for anyone wondering - no problems there.  The first six days we only hit main dining the first night.  We did eat there 6/8 nights second leg.  Food was all very good that I tried and the servers are wonderful.

Steakhouse - we did this the first night of the second leg.  We have done steak house on several other occassions and I have to say it wasn't as good as before.  It wasn't horrible but I think the quality of the meat is less - we wondered if it was due to supply, it still was good but wasn't as good as we remembered.   Plus I wasn't impressed with the deserts - bring back that wonderful apple tart you used to have.  Service was wonderful.

Pig and anchor - all I can say is FANTASTIC! - DH said the prime rib was better there than in main - I had the half rack of ribs - all sides were very good.  We did go there twice for dinner and the second time he got the brisket and said it was really good. Oh and try the bloody Mary - delish!

Tapanaki - yummy - and fun! 

Italian - so so good.  The food was excellent

We didn't go to JjJi's this time 😞 I love it - but dh not so much. hopefully next time

Java Blue! americano with a shot of bailey's and whipped cream - I highly recommend.

Entertainment - I am going to say with 20 carnival cruises under our belts a lot of time the entertainment is hit or miss.  Well it beyond excellent - no matter where you were the singers - Gabby and Rodlpho from Brazil, Reggie, The violin girls - The Horizon Band - all so darn good it was hard to decide where to go everynight.

Eden at the piano bar is so funny and talented the sad part is that they have all the seats at the piano blocked due to covid and so only half the amount of people can be there and it isn't as fun when you don't have as many people.  His gripper stick will crack you up.  Someone gave him a a $20 tip and he grabbed it with his gripper and said "This is how you get faster to the fun" I thought it was funny anyway,

We did a couple of the shows and they were good too.

Fun squad - I know some people don't like Donkey but I can say that he was so engaging and always stopped and talked to people - he always had a smile on his face and seemed to be enjoying himself with his staff and was obviously happy about being back.  The rest of the crew were great and always stopped and talked to everyone.  We did trivia everyday in the morning and while hubs did trivia I was cross stitching - the girls would come up to see my progress and say I just know you are going to finish before you get off lol I didn't.

The housekeeping staff - On friday of the first leg I called our cabin stewart to see if we could send out a couple bags of laundry before the next leg - he said if you bag it up now I will take it (this was at 1 pm) I told him we didn't need it for a couple of days so don't sweat it - it was back before 4pm they rushed it through.  

The bar staff - we spent most of our extra time at Tides Pool bar - Ocean's Plaza and the Atrium - everyone was so great - they ran out of mint on day 6 of second leg - so no mojitos and then lime was an issue for my cubra libras so that kind of sucked but oh well - I didn't suffer too much.  

The second leg when we got up the ship was decorated for Holloween so that was fun.

The back to back process was really easy.  They sent us a letter to be in the comedy club at a certain time on Friday.  They tested everyone and the next morning we all met in the Reflections dining room and they marched us out down scanned us and marched us back to the ship.  It took less than 30 minutes I think - we had the same room so we just went back to our room quickly with our passports - locked them up and went to the pool.  I highly recommend. 

Everyone followed covid protocols that we could see - I didn't hear any rumors of anyone getting covid while on board and we didn't see anyone having to get a second test while waiting for our covid results.  

I am now spoiled because I will want to do a back to back everytime and being at 65% capacity kind of spoils you too - we always could get a couple of chairs with umbrellas at the tides pool - even on the last sea day.  We had great weather with only one rainy day on the last sea day of the first leg - it didn't seem to bother anyone.  I could go on and on - as I randomly think of things but will stop here.  Although our favorite ships are the spirit class - we have done Vista and now Horizon and are booked on the Panarama for February.  The ship is easy to navigate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mumofsons said:

We had a balcony on 7th floor right by the front elevators.  Great location to atrium - smoking area was below two floors so sometimes you could smell the cigarette smoke.  

I have deck 6 forward booked hopefully not near any smoking areas.

Thank you for your review. We are getting on the Horizon on October 24th and getting off on November 13th. Its our very first B2B2B. We have to change rooms so hopefully that will still go as smoothly as your transition. Super excited to be on this ship. It's been so long!

Thanks for your review. We do our first B2B in February and wondered how it worked. Our PVP kind of described but not in detail like you did. He said only one of us would have to get off between cruises, but that isn't the case, is it? Sounds like Carnival has it well-organized for it to go so quick!