Visa Gift Cards for payment

Newe08

Has anybody tried using Visa Gift Cards to pay any of their balance lately?  I got a ton for my birthday this past Friday but when I try to use them for a payment, I keep getting a message that says “THE GIFT CARD YOU'VE ENTERED IS NOT VALID. PLEASE TRY AGAIN WITH A DIFFERENT GIFT CARD OR PAYMENT METHOD.”   Has happened on each card I’ve tried.  I don’t know if it has to do with the part where it says name on card or what.  

Strange.  I use gift cards to pay for .com services all of the time and it's never a problem.  They are Visa cards so...  I don't recall trying it on Carnival.com?

I'd try and call Carnival to see if you can apply the GC payments.

Edited by fuddrules

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't believe these types of cards are accepted for cruising.

agree

In addition these are the absolutely worst gift cards there are.  They have no way of actually know what the balance is on them where you use them (you have to call for that ahead of when you want to use them)  and the real crime is they age out after 12 months as the start charging you a hefty administrative fee each month starting the 13th month.

Edited by cruisegus

Welp, just had a $50 Visa Gift Card sitting next to me - LOL.  Worked perfect.

Just used it to pay down $50 off my cruise.  Make sure you put the payment into the CREDIT CARD tab, not the Gift Card tab (that is for Carnival gift cards).

PAYMENT SUMMARY

TOTAL PRICE: $4,501.76
okCREDIT CARD CHARGED: $50.00  (VISA XXXXXXXXXXXX3866) 
BALANCE DUE: $1,310.00  BY MARCH 21, 2022
Edited by fuddrules
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

They have no way of actually know what the balance is on them where you use them (you have to call for that ahead of when you want to use them)  and the real crime is they age out after 12 months as the start charging you a hefty administrative fee each month starting the 13th month.

None of this is true, BTW.

2 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

None of this is true, BTW.

Funny cause I sit here looking at a $25 VISA gift card that was purchased in Dec 2019, never used and is worthless due to the monthly administrative fees applied starting in the 13 month.

1 minute ago, cruisegus said:

Funny cause I sit here looking at a $25 VISA gift card that was purchased in Dec 2019, never used and is worthless due to the monthly administrative fees applied starting in the 13 month.

Since is worthless, post a picture of the front and back side of the card. 😀

11 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Welp, just had a $50 Visa Gift Card sitting next to me - LOL.  Worked perfect.

Just used it to pay down $50 off my cruise.  Make sure you put the payment into the CREDIT CARD tab, not the Gift Card tab (that is for Carnival gift cards).

PAYMENT SUMMARY

TOTAL PRICE: $4,501.76
okCREDIT CARD CHARGED: $50.00  (VISA XXXXXXXXXXXX3866) 
BALANCE DUE: $1,310.00  BY MARCH 21, 2022

Thanks.  Yeah I was using the credit card tab.....under the name part did you just use your first and last name?  

8 minutes ago, Newe08 said:

Thanks.  Yeah I was using the credit card tab.....under the name part did you just use your first and last name?  

Yes.

I'm not sure if the card I used was registered or not?  Look on the back of your card and see where to register the VGC.  Register the card in your name.  You can also check the balance.  There is a remote chance a card was hacked, but not multiple cards. 

Registration might be here: https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/

If that doesn't work, I'd call Carnival.

Edited by fuddrules

Also a correction after looking at the VGC site I linked:

4 of the 5 VGC have this:

Do fees apply after my Card was purchased?

No. There are no fees after purchase.

But one VGC did have this:

An Inactivity Fee of $4.95 will be deducted from your card balance on the first day of the 13th month after 12 months of inactivity. If your card is lost or stolen, a $5 Replacement Card Fee will be charged to replace your card.

I've never ran across those but they do exist.

12 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Yes.

I'm not sure if that card was registered or not?  Look on the back of the card and see where to register the VGC.  Register the card on your name.  You can also check the balance.  There is a remote chance a card was hacked, but not multiple cards. 

It might be here: https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/

If that doesn't work, I'd call Carnival.

Well I got it to work..kind of. Someone else had mentioned that supposedly you have to try it for $10-$20 less that what the gift card is worth.  Just tried it as $80 and it went through.    Strange those as your payment went through for the whole $50.  

2 minutes ago, Newe08 said:

Well I got it to work..kind of. Someone else had mentioned that supposedly you have to try it for $10-$20 less that what the gift card is worth.  Just tried it as $80 and it went through.    Strange those as your payment went through for the whole $50.  

I've never not used the full amount - Used on Amazon, health care payments, now Carnival, Sorority dues 😒 😣, etc....

If you still have a partial amount left on the VGC, load it as a form of payment into your Amazon account.  Then buy an Amazon GC (for whatever amount is left) and use that VGC as payment.

20 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Also a correction after looking at the VGC site I linked:

4 of the 5 VGC have this:

No. There are no fees after purchase.

But one VGC did have this:

An Inactivity Fee of $4.95 will be deducted from your card balance on the first day of the 13th month after 12 months of inactivity. If your card is lost or stolen, a $5 Replacement Card Fee will be charged to replace your card.

I've never ran across those but they do exist.

Another thing most people don't know about gift cards is that the rules on such things as inactivity fees, maintenance fees, activation fees, etc can differ according to which state you live in.