Vax required for children under 12?

bigo

We have cruise (Seattle Round Trip) Alaska in May 2022.  My travel agent says Princess is not requiring vaccinations for kids under 12.(on Alaskan cruises)  I cannot find this on the Princess website.  Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by bigo

At the present time, kids under 12 are not able to cruise because they are not able to be vaccinated.  It is hopeful, that in November kids 5 to 11 will be able to receive the vaccine.  Once this happens, all kids 5 and up will have to be vaccinated to cruise.

And, kids under 5 will more than likely not be able to cruise until they can receive the vaccine.

• Like 2

From the Princess web site:

Yes. In accordance with health authority directives, these cruises will be operated as vaccinated cruises, as defined by the CDC, with guests and crew vaccination rates approaching 100%. These cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination, in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and the dates given will be required and will need to be shown at the terminal prior to boarding. Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding.

There is no age restriction on this series of cruises but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. 

I would think if medical convention settles that kids do not get Covid vaccine until age 5, then cruise lines and other vendors and venues are not going to require them to be vaccinated to participate.  We are likely some distance away from settling medical convention.

The vaccine requirements have nothing to do with vendor requirements.  However it may NOT be required on Alaska Cruises as they were bypassing Canadian ports. What the situation will be next Alaska Season is anyways guess. The Canadian Border is open to vaccinated folk. Children are not exempt.  There are very stringent testing rules.

being as the approval will likely be here in a few weeks i'd say there will be no border exceptions. But then we aren't booking anything with the grands until they can be vaccinated anyway.

Edited by TNTLAMB

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I would think if medical convention settles that kids do not get Covid vaccine until age 5, then cruise lines and other vendors and venues are not going to require them to be vaccinated to participate.  We are likely some distance away from settling medical convention.

An issue I see...

If a cruiseline allows an un-vaccinated child to cruise...

And the child spends time in the kids' club.

The parents will be very upset with princess if the child contracts coronavirus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

The cruise lines certainly did not have any problem saying that those 12 and under could not cruise, when there was no vaccine available.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

The current Princess requirement is fully vaccinated passengers only permitted to board. Your T.A. is not correct. That currently omits those 11 and under. Some have posted on these Cruise Critic boards that their 2021 Alaska cruise had to be cancelled because they had children under 12 years old. Vaccine approval for youth 5 to 11 year olds appears to be on track for November approval, well before before the May 2022 trip. No one knows what the travel requirements will be at that time, but if your child is in the 5 to 11 age group I would arrange for the vaccine when it becomes available. Your cruise will sail from Seattle, and will subject to vaccine requirements from Princess, the Canadian and British Colombia governments as well as Alaska and the State of Washington. If your child is under 5 then I would follow the news on this age group. Current news indicates that data for these ages could be submitted by the end of this month. 

• Like 1

Us Brits with kids had our cruise next week cancelled by Princess a few weeks ago because we are travelling with under 12’s who cannot get vaccinated.

Everything else is booked up and we are still waiting for our money to be refunded.

Friends cannot book another vacation as Princess is holding their cash. 

We’re all very disappointed.

Edited by swjumbo
Spellcheck