Walmart or other shopping near Maui cruise port? You

Orlando Vic

There are two port possibilities on Maui. In either case, the typical shuttle would be to Hilo Hatties, if a shuttle exists.

If you are docking in Kahalui, there is a Costco and a Walmart a short taxi ride away. Both are walkable, although not a short, easy walk, and then carrying things back in the warmer temps.

If you are tendering to Lahaina, nope. Just Whaler's Markets and ABC stores. Bigger grocery further away. Hilo Hatties is about 20 minute walk from where you come ashore. The bigger grocery store is a similar distance away.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are two port possibilities on Maui. In either case, the typical shuttle would be to Hilo Hatties, if a shuttle exists.

If you are docking in Kahalui, there is a Costco and a Walmart a short taxi ride away. Both are walkable, although not a short, easy walk, and then carrying things back in the warmer temps.

If you are tendering to Lahaina, nope. Just Whaler's Markets and ABC stores. Bigger grocery further away. Hilo Hatties is about 20 minute walk from where you come ashore. The bigger grocery store is a similar distance away.

Yes, it is Lahaina and the ABC store will do very nicely. (I want to buy some Lion coffee.). Thanks for the info.

19 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

Yes, it is Lahaina and the ABC store will do very nicely. (I want to buy some Lion coffee.). Thanks for the info.

You might also keep in mind Long's Drugs (part of the CVS chain of stores) in the Lahaina Cannery Mall.  Good for souvenirs and any drug store type items you might have forgotten to pack.  You can google them for more inflormation.

Catch bus #20 behind Wharf Cinema Center to the big Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping mall with many shops. Bus ride is about an hour long with view of the scenic coast. A day pass is around $4 pp with priority boarding privilege. 

51 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Catch bus #20 behind Wharf Cinema Center to the big Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping mall with many shops. Bus ride is about an hour long with view of the scenic coast. A day pass is around $4 pp with priority boarding privilege. 

Bus all the way from Lahaina to Kahalui for a little shopping? Really?

40 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Bus all the way from Lahaina to Kahalui for a little shopping? Really?

Do note that Sears is closed now.  The Pride of America obviously hasn't been docking in Kahului for some time either.  Not good for business, and unfortunately not worth coming in from Lahaina to visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Vic, so very nice to see you here, away from TripAdvisor.

Foodland Lahaina (HI's version of Publix) is easily walkable from the tender landing and will have a better selection of Lion and other Hawaiian coffee brands (Kauai Coffee Co is my favorite). They also have a great selection of poke. I took about 4 pounds of it back to the ship my last cruise.

Also in the same center as Foodland is Nagasako Okazu-ya Deli, one of my favorite local hole-in-the-walls for food.

33 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Foodland Lahaina (HI's version of Publix) is easily walkable from the tender landing and will have a better selection of Lion and other Hawaiian coffee brands (Kauai Coffee Co is my favorite). They also have a great selection of poke. I took about 4 pounds of it back to the ship my last cruise.

Also in the same center as Foodland is Nagasako Okazu-ya Deli, one of my favorite local hole-in-the-walls for food.

Many thanks Scott. You get around too. 😀

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

We are surprised that the cruise line would let you come aboard with the poke, what with the need for proper preparation in the first place, proper transport (especially in warm weather) and storage on board, etc.  Not saying it can't be done, but seems iffy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We are surprised that the cruise line would let you come aboard with the poke,

Why wouldn't they?

what with the need for proper preparation in the first place,

Well Foodland prepared it.

proper transport (especially in warm weather)

I carried it in a shopping bag just like when I shop at home.

and storage on board, etc. 

Our suite had a quite nice refrigerator.

Not saying it can't be done, but seems iffy.

In Hilo I brought lau lau from Kuhio Grill back onboard. No one said a word. Not sure why they would.

16 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We are surprised that the cruise line would let you come aboard with the poke, what with the need for proper preparation in the first place, proper transport (especially in warm weather) and storage on board, etc.  Not saying it can't be done, but seems iffy.

We felt that they might be a tad concerned about the chance of food poisoning as you should be with any raw fish that has to stay unrefrigerated for a time, marinated or not.  Poke does best at temperatures under 41F.  

Lau lau is steamed and is not raw.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:33 PM, scottca075 said:

Why wouldn't they?

Well Foodland prepared it.

I carried it in a shopping bag just like when I shop at home.

Our suite had a quite nice refrigerator.

In Hilo I brought lau lau from Kuhio Grill back onboard. No one said a word. Not sure why they would.

I'm assuming this was a foreign flag ship?  As such, they fall under the CDC's VSP, which requires that all food brought on the ship, whether by the cruise line or passengers, be from verifiable sources, and that the condition of the food meets the time/temperature requirements they set.  Since the poke you brought onboard was in a non-factory sealed container, the food, especially raw fish, would need to have time/temperature controls verified, which you couldn't do.  Nearly every protein brought onboard a ship is frozen, even that which is destined to be served raw in sushi, etc.  Once a "potentially hazardous food" (like fish) is taken from a "temperature contolled" environment (a stove or hot box with a temperature control), it must be on "time control", which means it must be discarded within 4 hours.  This time would include time the fish spent on ice in the store's display case.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1