Included flights query

jrmuk

We are returning to cruising after six years of landlubbing…

We are considering a cruise out of Lisbon that includes flights. Looking at the airline schedules the earliest we can arrive in Lisbon is 2:35pm. The cruise departs at 5pm and last check in is 4pm leaving 1 hour and 25 minutes to clear customs/immigration and transfer to the ship.

Would Seabourn take the risk of such a late flight arrival or would they fly us in the day before?

In the past I’ve always taken care of my own flights and always fly the day before in case of any delays and the stress that would bring just worrying about it. However, this would be out of my control with Seabourn making the arrangements.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can tell SB which days you want to fly.  If you don't like a routing, you can also ask for an alternative.  We did that this summer. They gave us a flight with a one-hour layover which we knew we might not be able to make. They changed it and that was great, because the one flight they had put us on had a two-hour delay because of weather. We also flew in several days before the cruise.

SB had better choices and prices than we could find independently. 

Having 85 minutes to deplane, claim baggage, get through customs, and get to the port would make me nervous. Even a small delay in your flight could leave you in a bad position. Add the uncertainties of travel in this COVID era, and I would definitely book air with Seabourn so they take responsibility to get you to the ship -- and you might get them to fly you in a day early and put you up in a hotel rather than risking missing the ship. 

It is "just tell them" when you want to fly in and out. Seabourn will get the flights whenever you want before and after your cruise. No need to take chances. If you don't express a preference, they will assume you want to arrive on the day of embarkation and leave on the day you disembark. The only difference if you fly in early is that you might have to arrange for a taxi to take you to the ship. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

@marazul  Since the flights are included, if Seabourn air determines the passenger can't be booked on a flight which arrives in time on the day of embarkation, wouldn't they would fly the passenger a day early and put them up in a hotel at their expense? 

In the US at least, you can look at your flight options on the website after booked and after the flights are available and choose your own. After booking, you can also continue to look for different/better flight options. Don't know where the OP is from as his info doesn't indicate that.

10 hours ago, markham said:

I would arrive a day early and stay at the Avenida Palace. Great location and classy old world style. We will do so for the 2 April cruise to Istanbul on Encore.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We loved this hotel as well, before our Seabourn cruise Lisbon to Dover in 2019. Short taxi ride to docks also. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

@marazul  Since the flights are included, if Seabourn air determines the passenger can't be booked on a flight which arrives in time on the day of embarkation, wouldn't they would fly the passenger a day early and put them up in a hotel at their expense? 

You are paying for the flights in addition to the cruise.  They are not included.  You have a say on when you fly and on your flight. Tell them what you want. Talk to them, or have your TA tell them what you want.

This past August, we flew to Greece two weeks before our cruise. When we didn't like the connections on the outbound flight, they changed it for another one. You are not bound to whatever their computer pulls up.  Every passenger is flying a different route. There isn't just one option for each cruise. If you don't say anything, they pick the cheapest option to get you there before the ship sails.  Prices may vary some, but not much if you ask for a different flight.

Edited by marazul

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Having 85 minutes to deplane, claim baggage, get through customs, and get to the port would make me nervous. Even a small delay in your flight could leave you in a bad position. Add the uncertainties of travel in this COVID era, and I would definitely book air with Seabourn so they take responsibility to get you to the ship -- and you might get them to fly you in a day early and put you up in a hotel rather than risking missing the ship. 

And when things go wrong when we were asked to leave the ship half way through our cruise due to Covid.

500 odd passengers on the ship who were trying to get hold of their TAs or airlines along with all the others  world wide to get new airline flights with nobody answering the phones

We just went down to Seabourn Square where the nice lady just went click click on her puter and our new flights arrived

Because of the tight turnaround Seabourn just said NO….

So we are flying in two days early and arranging a hotel ourselves.

I liked the look of the Epic Sana as we have stand in one before and really liked it but will take a look at the Avenida Palace.

Thanks for all your help.