Hotels in Fort Lauderdale with views to see ships coming in/out?

TX-Cruiser

As frequently mentioned here, the Hilton Marina, the old Pier 66 (it has been undergoing changes...not sure of its current name or status), and the Embassy Suites. The side of the hotel matters...each has it's favored side to the port, for which you will typically pay more.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As frequently mentioned here, the Hilton Marina, the old Pier 66 (it has been undergoing changes...not sure of its current name or status), and the Embassy Suites. The side of the hotel matters...each has it's favored side to the port, for which you will typically pay more.

The old Pier 66 is still under renovation and currently announcing an opening in 2024 (no more specifics than that).

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Thank you. I promised I searched but I have found the search option lacking. I really appreciate your time answering. 

If you stay at Lago Mar, its a short walk down the beach to the jetties where you’ll be less than 200 feet from the ships as they enter and leave port Everglades.

Lago Mar (not to be confused with Mar a Lago) is a moderate-sizee, family-owned hotel. No sports bar, but it is directly on thr beach.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, FOPMan said:

If you stay at Lago Mar, its a short walk down the beach to the jetties where you’ll be less than 200 feet from the ships as they enter and leave port Everglades.

Lago Mar (not to be confused with Mar a Lago) is a moderate-sizee, family-owned hotel. No sports bar, but it is directly on thr beach.

We were thinking of booking this resort. Planning 2 days in FLL before our cruise. Please tell me more about this resort. Thank you so much. 

Lago Mar (https://lagomar.com) has been around Fort Lauderdale for a long time (at least 50 years), and is owned/operated by a local family. It’s absolutely beach-front, with mid-rise buildings (rooms overlooking the big pool also have views of the ocean).

The resort is family-friendly, with put-put golf, play areas, etc.

Getting there is not hard. It’s maybe 3 minutes from Pier 66, accessible through the neighborhood across 17th street from Pier 66.

There are no restaurants, other than what is at Lago, that are just around the corner, but there are several places to eat on property. They do a good job with salads, especially outside.

Historically, Lago Mar has catered to a seasonal and largely European clientele. They also have a beach club for locals which entitled them to access the beach and pool.

It’s quiet at night- no clubs.

You can take a bottle of wine down to the beach in the evening and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, TX-Cruiser said:

Are there any hotels near the cruise port where you can actually see the ships coming in or out? Bonus if it has a sports bar...(haha this my husband's request) Thank you everyone.

Along with Lago Mar which has been mentioned, the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel is also beachfront, a bit more North along the beach than the Lago Mar, and walkable along the beach to get to the Inlet through which the ships sail.  One can readily see the ships as they arrive in the early morning and sail in the late afternoon/evening from the hotel.  

Sports Bar?  Within the hotel itself, there is a bar, but it was not a sports bar during my most recent stay.  There is an outdoor Tiki like bar that was quite popular.  Check the hotel's web site for more details of their facilities and some photos.  

Another oceanfront (truly oceanfront, not across the street like the five star hotels further up along the beach) is the B Ocean (https://www.bhotelsandresorts.com/b-ocean-resort/).  It is even closer to the action (restaurants and bars) along the beach and has a storied history since it started as the Yankee Clipper in the 50s.  It has been updated within the last decade.

I haven't stayed there (but have driven by frequently) but I have read positive posts on this forum.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64A1C94F-B706-408A-8588-9A564E32554C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c5a1f6d46a955fe37f268b64a6338a6e.jpegThis was our view from the Marriott Beach Harbor in July.  We had a pool/ocean view and it was fantastic (you must be on this side of the hotel to see the ships).  We could see other ships coming in early in the morning.  

Besides that, it was a wonderful property - great attention to customer service, RIGHT ON the beach (no walk across the busy road), food was fabulous as was the beach/pool and all the amenities.  If you want to start your vacation early and get a full resort feel with views of the ships, I would highly recommend the Marriott.  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, CruiserBruce said:

If you stay at Embassy Suites, walk across the street to Kelly’s Landing. Great place to get whole Maine Lobster.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 6:56 AM, FOPMan said:

Lago Mar (https://lagomar.com) has been around Fort Lauderdale for a long time (at least 50 years), and is owned/operated by a local family. It’s absolutely beach-front, with mid-rise buildings (rooms overlooking the big pool also have views of the ocean).

The resort is family-friendly, with put-put golf, play areas, etc.

Getting there is not hard. It’s maybe 3 minutes from Pier 66, accessible through the neighborhood across 17th street from Pier 66.

There are no restaurants, other than what is at Lago, that are just around the corner, but there are several places to eat on property. They do a good job with salads, especially outside.

Historically, Lago Mar has catered to a seasonal and largely European clientele. They also have a beach club for locals which entitled them to access the beach and pool.

It’s quiet at night- no clubs.

You can take a bottle of wine down to the beach in the evening and enjoy.

Thank you

On 10/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, KellyMcB said:

64A1C94F-B706-408A-8588-9A564E32554C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c5a1f6d46a955fe37f268b64a6338a6e.jpegThis was our view from the Marriott Beach Harbor in July.  We had a pool/ocean view and it was fantastic (you must be on this side of the hotel to see the ships).  We could see other ships coming in early in the morning.  

Besides that, it was a wonderful property - great attention to customer service, RIGHT ON the beach (no walk across the busy road), food was fabulous as was the beach/pool and all the amenities.  If you want to start your vacation early and get a full resort feel with views of the ships, I would highly recommend the Marriott.  

I have not had a room on that side of the hotel; always booked oceanfront.  Thanks for your post and picture.  I'll consider that in the future; would cost fewer dollars than oceanfront.  Like you, I really like this hotel.  3030 Ocean was great!  

On 10/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, capriccio said:

the B Ocean (https://www.bhotelsandresorts.com/b-ocean-resort/).  It is even closer to the action (restaurants and bars) along the beach and has a storied history since it started as the Yankee Clipper in the 50s.  It has been updated within the last decade.

I forgot about this hotel.  Had been a Sheraton for many years, I recall.  The area around the hotel would offer more easy-to-get-to opportunities for those who don't have transportation than Lago Mar or the Marriott Harbor Beach.