Texting

Goofyisme

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Good to know...We'll all be in suites and will get/have Voom Surf-n-Stream on Harmony.

The only thing is to make sure you enable WiFi calling on your phones NOW, while you're at home.  You have to be connected to the cell towers in order to enable the feature initially -- you can't start it up for the first time on just WiFi.

If everyone sets up WiFi calling on their phones, and then connects to Voom on the ship, you can just call/text like everyone was at home.  Same for people on land -- they can call you and your phone will ring just like you are at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 6:24 AM, brillohead said:

The only thing is to make sure you enable WiFi calling on your phones NOW, while you're at home.  You have to be connected to the cell towers in order to enable the feature initially -- you can't start it up for the first time on just WiFi.

If everyone sets up WiFi calling on their phones, and then connects to Voom on the ship, you can just call/text like everyone was at home.  Same for people on land -- they can call you and your phone will ring just like you are at home.

@brillohead  I hope you're right about setting up WIFI calling now & texting working while onboard for my Android. When we were on the Carnival Breeze earlier this month, I didn't realize I needed to set up WIFI calling beforehand and could never get texting to work. So, fingers crossed for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas trip that activating it now will do the trick! I'll try to remember to update this when we return, but it's a ways off & my memory isn't what it used to be! 🤪

1 hour ago, Nike4000 said:

@brillohead  I hope you're right about setting up WIFI calling now & texting working while onboard for my Android. When we were on the Carnival Breeze earlier this month, I didn't realize I needed to set up WIFI calling beforehand and could never get texting to work. So, fingers crossed for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas trip that activating it now will do the trick! I'll try to remember to update this when we return, but it's a ways off & my memory isn't what it used to be! 🤪

Yes, just set it up right now and leave it turned on.  

You can even test it right now at home.  Set it up, then put your phone in Airplane Mode (which will cut off your cell signal and your WiFi signal) and turn your WiFi back on.  Then place a call like normal, or a text.... or have someone call/text you.  

That's exactly what you'll do on the ship -- turn on Airplane Mode, then turn WiFi back on again.

Oh, and after testing it, be sure to turn Airplane Mode to OFF or you won't get any cell signal when you leave the house the next time!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, goldengirl said:

If there is am emergency at home they can get in touch with the ship

You could be asking a lot of things here, but, I'm going to flip over all the cards and suggest you want to know how can somebody at home get in touch with you on the ship.  If all else fails...

How can I communicate on a cruise with friends at home or ashore? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Don't thank me...thank Google.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

You could be asking a lot of things here, but, I'm going to flip over all the cards and suggest you want to know how can somebody at home get in touch with you on the ship.  If all else fails...

How can I communicate on a cruise with friends at home or ashore? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Don't thank me...thank Google.

Actually, what I think "that person" was saying is that nobody needs to be in touch all the time (in "that person's" opinion) and if there was a true emergency (the only reason for someone to get in touch with you on a cruise in "that person's" opinion) then they would contact you through the ship.  

What "that person" doesn't understand is that many different people cruise for many different reasons and have many different situations at home, and it's none of "that person's" business who does or doesn't want to be plugged in or unplugged during a cruise.

Opinions are like buttholes -- everyone has one, but not everyone wants to see yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, Goofyisme said:

What do I need to be able to text to each other on the Anthem?  Do we need an internet package or is it just a setting on the phone.  Knew how to do this 2 years ago on our last cruise before Covid but the info has slipped thru the cracks in my brain.

Whatsapp is a good option. 

This is an app that you add to your phone. 

You can text and call.  - not only other passengers, but your family back home. 

You will (of course) need internet access. 

Facebook messenger is another way to communicate with others, but again - you will need internet access. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, Biker19 said:

BTW, it’s not just iMessages that work. Also, while somewhat random, some app inbound notifications also worked. I could get the first two lines of inbound emails to show up in notifications, though you couldn’t do anything else with it. 

Saw same behavior with all my apps on Odyssey about a month ago. And I'm on Android. 

**This is specifically referring to people who do not want to purchase WiFi access or use their cellular at seas service.

Has anyone ever used an offline MESH Bluetooth network to communicate? I am looking to try this for my NYE trip. Ideally you would want as many people you can join the mesh network so you can expand your coverage.

How it works: 

-you would turn on Bluetooth, Bluetooth would connect to other Bluetooth enabled devices thus creating a "MESH" network of devices.

-you would use an APP to communicate.

-even thought you are on a public mesh network with other users you can communicate 1to1 end to end encryption with your party. This is accomplished via APP.

-easy to use and private

-the more ppl on mesh network the better the coverage

-ideal to try with a "roll call" or FB page group"

Apps I am referencing are:

BridgeFY (have used in past at outdoor concerts with terrible cell service)

FireChat

Signal Offline messenger (have used in past)

Briar

Let me know your thought's or previous experience.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, brillohead said:

Yes, just set it up right now and leave it turned on.  

You can even test it right now at home.  Set it up, then put your phone in Airplane Mode (which will cut off your cell signal and your WiFi signal) and turn your WiFi back on.  Then place a call like normal, or a text.... or have someone call/text you.  

That's exactly what you'll do on the ship -- turn on Airplane Mode, then turn WiFi back on again.

Oh, and after testing it, be sure to turn Airplane Mode to OFF or you won't get any cell signal when you leave the house the next time!

@brillohead So, I tested it out - confirming that WIFI Calling is enabled, Airplane mode turned on, and I'm definitely connected to my home's WIFI.

I can surf the web on my phone just fine. However, when I attempt to send my wife or kids texts I get a message saying "Can't Send Message. Turn Off Airplane Mode." Then, when I try to make a call, I get a prompt asking, "Turn off Airplane mode to make this call?" with buttons for Yes or No.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on the AT&T network. Any ideas or suggestions?

1 hour ago, Nike4000 said:

@brillohead So, I tested it out - confirming that WIFI Calling is enabled, Airplane mode turned on, and I'm definitely connected to my home's WIFI.

I can surf the web on my phone just fine. However, when I attempt to send my wife or kids texts I get a message saying "Can't Send Message. Turn Off Airplane Mode." Then, when I try to make a call, I get a prompt asking, "Turn off Airplane mode to make this call?" with buttons for Yes or No.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on the AT&T network. Any ideas or suggestions?

Make sure WiFI calling is enabled on your Samsung. And make sure your AT&T data plan has WiFI calling as part of your features.

You can use the following guide to enable WiFI calling Android/Samsung

https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1265897/Samsung/SamsungN960U

Good luck.

Huge fan of WiFi calling for Andriod systems. Use it all the time on my Pixel 3 XL unlocked on T-Mobile network.

3 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Let me know your thought's

My thoughts are why should I keep my phone active, so you, or anyone else, can save a few bucks on wifi?  And don't get me started on the security concerns of running just one more app on my phone.  I'll pass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nike4000 said:

I would check with AT&T for clarification, maybe go into a local store if you can before your cruise.  I'm not familiar with Samsungs anymore (I've been using Motos for the past several years, much cheaper).  

My concern with turning off Airplane Mode would be making sure that ALL cellular network connections are turned off -- both for voice/text and for data.  You don't want your phone to have any way to connect to the ship's cell towers.  

Maybe @SRF has some ideas, I know he's been doing Wi-Fi calling for several years, too.  

4 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Make sure WiFI calling is enabled on your Samsung. And make sure your AT&T data plan has WiFI calling as part of your features.

You can use the following guide to enable WiFI calling Android/Samsung

https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1265897/Samsung/SamsungN960U

Good luck.

Huge fan of WiFi calling for Andriod systems. Use it all the time on my Pixel 3 XL unlocked on T-Mobile network.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I would check with AT&T for clarification, maybe go into a local store if you can before your cruise.  I'm not familiar with Samsungs anymore (I've been using Motos for the past several years, much cheaper).  

My concern with turning off Airplane Mode would be making sure that ALL cellular network connections are turned off -- both for voice/text and for data.  You don't want your phone to have any way to connect to the ship's cell towers.  

Maybe @SRF has some ideas, I know he's been doing Wi-Fi calling for several years, too.  

Thank you both for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

@alexgtp those are the exact instructions I followed, so thank you for confirming that I didn't miss something! As both you & @brilloheadsuggested, I think my next step is to visit my local AT&T store. I did call and confirm that my plan includes WIFI calling, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice! At this point, I'm assuming my device or SIM card are having issues. Not gonna buy a new phone, so keep your fingers crossed that it's a SIM card issue that can be fixed quickly & easily.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, Boo's Mom said:

Whatsapp is a good option. 

This is an app that you add to your phone. 

You can text and call.  - not only other passengers, but your family back home. 

You will (of course) need internet access. 

Facebook messenger is another way to communicate with others, but again - you will need internet access. 

Why use an app when you can use wifi calling/texting????

Most apps are limited to calling/texting others using the same app.  Or charge a per minute fee (Skype) to call regular phone numbers.

Wifi calling/texting does not cost extra.  And it works just like calling/texting on land.

And people can call your normal mobile phone number and it rings.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, goldengirl said:

Do people go on vacation to get away or do keep in touch constantly with others? If there is am emergency at home they can get in touch with the ship

So you do not have any friends or family?

I feel sorry for you.

Other people have friends and family they keep in touch with.  Maybe not all day or even every day.

My Dad is almost 95.  I contact him almost every day to see how he is doing.  And I have friends like to to send pictures to when I am having a good time, while they are working. 🙂

My SO has a new grandson.  So new pictures every few days.  And older grandson is a bit over 2, so again, fun pictures every few days.

34 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why use an app when you can use wifi calling/texting????

Most apps are limited to calling/texting others using the same app.  Or charge a per minute fee (Skype) to call regular phone numbers.

Wifi calling/texting does not cost extra.  And it works just like calling/texting on land.

And people can call your normal mobile phone number and it rings.

Are you referring to Apple or Android? (using wifi calling/texting)

There is never any charge to call/text using Whatsapp.

Are you calling someone's phone or WhatsApp to WhatsApp?

No, there is no charge app to app for any of the apps.

But if you call a phone number (to someone NOT USING the app) the apps normally charge.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, Heymarco said:

Just onboard. To text home you would need at least the surf internet package. Even then, that would not allow SMS, just web based messaging such as iMessage or WhatsApp.

That’s the way it supposed to work at least. As others have stated, your mileage may vary and with a bit of luck you may find one of the cheaper solutions work. 🙂

not true.  if you have surf and stream and t-mobile you just have to set your phone as I have below.  I texted and called my kids who were house and dog sitting for 10 days on the Adventure.  I have a samsung galaxy but same premise works with the iPhones as my family has indicated when they fly.  

Screenshot_20211122-161014_Chrome.jpg

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, Boo's Mom said:

Are you referring to Apple or Android? (using wifi calling/texting)

There is never any charge to call/text using Whatsapp.

Both Apple and Android can use Wi-Fi calling/texting.

As for WhatsApp, what SRF was saying is that you can only use it for free when you are using it to contact someone else who has the exact same app.  You can't just call any phone number via WhatsApp.  

But with Wi-Fi calling enabled on your phone, you can call (or text) anyone who has a regular phone number, no special app needed.  I can call my bank, my doctor's office, my neighbor.... anyone, as long as I have a decent Wi-Fi signal.

I actually keep Wi-Fi calling turned on 24/7/365, because I have iffy cell reception at home, and this way I don't have to worry about calls not going through or dropping every third word.

23 hours ago, Nike4000 said:

I think my next step is to visit my local AT&T store. I did call and confirm that my plan includes WIFI calling, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice! At this point, I'm assuming my device or SIM card are having issues. Not gonna buy a new phone, so keep your fingers crossed that it's a SIM card issue that can be fixed quickly & easily.

If there's a setting or something that you were missing, please post it here so others with that phone will have the fix!

21 hours ago, jean87510 said:

not true.  if you have surf and stream and t-mobile you just have to set your phone as I have below.  I texted and called my kids who were house and dog sitting for 10 days on the Adventure.  I have a samsung galaxy but same premise works with the iPhones as my family has indicated when they fly.  

Screenshot_20211122-161014_Chrome.jpg

What are you disagreeing with?

The post you quoted said you needed AT LEAST SURF, and wifi calling enabled.

So you had SURF and Stream, and with wifi calling, it worked.  That is how it does work.

SOME ships had a whole in the system that allowed iPhones to iMessage (only iPhone to iPhone) without Surf or Surf and Stream internet packages.

And yes, T-mobile supports wifi calling and texting.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

What are you disagreeing with?

The post you quoted said you needed AT LEAST SURF, and wifi calling enabled.

So you had SURF and Stream, and with wifi calling, it worked.  That is how it does work.

SOME ships had a whole in the system that allowed iPhones to iMessage (only iPhone to iPhone) without Surf or Surf and Stream internet packages.

And yes, T-mobile supports wifi calling and texting.

. "Even then, that would not allow SMS, just web based messaging such as iMessage or WhatsApp"

since you asked, this is what I was referring to.  Sometimes its helpful to read before jumping the gun.