Starboard, Portside, Sunset - MEDITERRANEAN cruise

bandp407

We are considering our 1st France, Italian Riviera, Greek Island Cruise for September 2023. Perhaps a B2B to include both. It would be on the Reflection which we have sailed several times. We typically take the 1A starboard side deck 8 . The sunset Verandas would add approx $1000 to a 19night sailing. 

Would appreciate suggestions for the which location/ deck would be the preferred. We do not care for the balcony cabins on the hump.

Many thanks!

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Can you tell us why you don't like hump cabins? It would make it easier to provide recommendations.

We had them a few times & got a tunnel feeling. We felt closer to the sea with the standard balcony. May sound nuts! 

We have enjoyed 1A on the slant too.  just want to remind you that if you choose 1A, you can get it for the cost of 1B which will save you a few dollars.  You have to ask when you book.  You can also get B2B discount of $100 for a leg that is 10 days or more and $50 for less than 10.  You also have to ask for this when booking.  HTH.

8 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We have enjoyed 1A on the slant too.  just want to remind you that if you choose 1A, you can get it for the cost of 1B which will save you a few dollars.  You have to ask when you book.  You can also get B2B discount of $100 for a leg that is 10 days or more and $50 for less than 10.  You also have to ask for this when booking.  HTH.

Yes, aware of the Captain’s Club category upgrade, but not the B2B discount. Thank you!

We lean towards aft cabins and would go with 1696 as it has a wider balcony and cabins above and below. If you prefer deck 8, we found 8349 very quiet with the only foot traffic coming from the suite next door. There's a separate vestibule for entry to these two cabins.

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We lean towards aft cabins and would go with 1696 as it has a wider balcony and cabins above and below. If you prefer deck 8, we found 8349 very quiet with the only foot traffic coming from the suite next door. There's a separate vestibule for entry to these two cabins.

Thank you. Looks like 1696 is Concierge. Are the sunset veranda balconies larger than the side ones? If port or starboard in the Med , do you have a preference ? 

We had a sunset cabin on our Med cruise and loved the wake view. I can’t recall the cabin number but we were in the centre two decks down from the Oceanview bar area. I would opt for a lower deck with an overhang next time for protection from the weather.   The balcony lacked privacy ( if that’s an issue for you) as it was fully visible from the bar above. 

2 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you. Looks like 1696 is Concierge. Are the sunset veranda balconies larger than the side ones? If port or starboard in the Med , do you have a preference ? 

Oops, yes, that one is a Concierge cabin. We paid a very small amount above a 1A, a real bargain.

Sunset balconies in my experience are similar in size to the regular balconies on the sides, so not really a factor for us.

If you want a side balcony that is a bit larger, take a look at 8345. We've sailed in this cabin on the Eclipse and enjoyed it. Again, very little foot traffic due to its location. We obviously don't mind cabins at the stern of the ship as we enjoy the walk to the elevators and have never experienced any motion sickness there.

4 hours ago, bandp407 said:

We had them a few times & got a tunnel feeling. We felt closer to the sea with the standard balcony. May sound nuts! 

I understand....we found the cabin darker than others and the hump balcony longer but not wider...so there is a tunnel feeling.

When we choose the location of our cabin, one major factor we consider, as I like sitting on the balcony, is where will we get the most shade? So the location of the sun plays an important role on sea days in our decision. For example, the SV or starboard side would be ideal if we were on a TA from Europe back to the US. But if that’s not an issue, the SV is our first choice as we love the aft views and are protected from headwinds when at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Oops, yes, that one is a Concierge cabin. We paid a very small amount above a 1A, a real bargain.

Sunset balconies in my experience are similar in size to the regular balconies on the sides, so not really a factor for us.

If you want a side balcony that is a bit larger, take a look at 8345. We've sailed in this cabin on the Eclipse and enjoyed it. Again, very little foot traffic due to its location. We obviously don't mind cabins at the stern of the ship as we enjoy the walk to the elevators and have never experienced any motion sickness there.

Many thanks for your suggestions! Will also look at the “S” class spreadsheet. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

We had a sunset cabin on our Med cruise and loved the wake view. I can’t recall the cabin number but we were in the centre two decks down from the Oceanview bar area. I would opt for a lower deck with an overhang next time for protection from the weather.   The balcony lacked privacy ( if that’s an issue for you) as it was fully visible from the bar above. 

Very valuable information- thank you!

There might be some value to be had by booking a Concierge C1 Aft on the Reflection because of a pricing anomaly at the moment.

For example, we've just booked 1696 on the Reflection for July '23. It was priced $50 BELOW the SVs!

So one gets the (negligible value admittedly) Concierge perks, a higher deck whilst paying less $$. The early check in is the only Concierge benefit we value to any degree but I'd cheerfully pay more for that and the higher deck. So for it to be priced lower was a bonus.

I haven't checked your proposed sailing(s) but it might be worth you having a look at the Concierge pricing on them before going for a standard SV on a lower deck.

Edited by Bugsy1966

1 hour ago, Bugsy1966 said:

There might be some value to be had by booking a Concierge C1 Aft on the Reflection because of a pricing anomaly at the moment.

For example, we've just booked 1696 on the Reflection for July '23. It was priced $50 BELOW the SVs!

So one gets the (negligible value admittedly) Concierge perks, a higher deck whilst paying less $$. The early check in is the only Concierge benefit we value to any degree but I'd cheerfully pay more for that and the higher deck. So for it to be priced lower was a bonus.

I haven't checked your proposed sailing(s) but it might be worth you having a look at the Concierge pricing on them before going for a standard SV on a lower deck.

And I thought that I had a good deal when I booked the same cabin for less than $100 ABOVE the price of an SV. Good for you!