ANOTHER (just what you wanted) Mardi Gras LIVE 11/06-11/13

MeganGC1983

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Thanks everyone so much. It’s been crazy busy with kids and work since I returned. I’ll post a wrap up tonight, but in other news, we’re expecting in January…

another cruise! 
And @Roscoe13will be sailing this one as well! 

DCC5E9CB-13BF-4A1A-8383-83B9B688F25B.jpeg

This is all by coinkadink. I booked a year ago. But we are putting together a cruise roster of super heroes 👏 

Or just @MeganGC1983and Mr Megan and DW and myself. Either way!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

We sail on Saturday. We do not have the cheers package and only plan to have 1 or 2 drinks a day.

Which of the drinks you had did you enjoy the most and would recommend? 

Enjoyed your review especially since we are doing the same itinerary.

If you like dessert drinks, my favorite, was definitely the Praline truffle at brass magnolia. I also really enjoyed the fruitier, Zombie and not as fruity, but good Wiki Wiki at Red Frog Tiki. Those would be my top 3. 
Have a fantastic cruise! 

Overall:

the good:

- She’s a gorgeous ship. Lots of “oohs” and “ahhs”. Definitely impressive and something to see. 
-The new additions are a plus. I’m a huge Big Chicken fan and the “themed” bars really tied everything together between the fun cocktails and the ambiance. It really sets the bar high to see what Carnival will bring on the other 2 Excel ships. 
-The service was excellent, for the most part. There were small issues, but all ships have those. You can definitely tell this is the flagship funship. Definitely the best of the best working here. 

-The included “upcharge” dining options were fantastic for the most part… see below. Not only did it give more variety, but it made dinner time easier and wait time lower. 
The bad:

-The ship is LARGE, understatement. The maps will be your best friend up until debarkation. You won’t see it all, you won’t do it all. This isn’t your pepaw’s fantasy class ship. I was still wandering around the last night, with cocktail 10, looking for the theatre. 😆🤷🏼‍♀️
-Chibang will probably go down as a “miss”. This was the only place we had real service issues with, and minus my dessert, it just wasn’t very good. It’s an okay free option, but if they change it to “up charge”, it will die a slow death. They’ll be running around at night with a chimichanga cart ala Emeril’s. 
Will I sail her again?

I’m honestly not sure. DH says no. He says if we sailed at 75%ish, he can’t imagine it being 100% with 500 more kids. 
The theaters were usually full and comedy club… 

*Dear Micky- make PUNCHLINERS bigger!* 

But overall, it was a great cruise. I’m glad to be sailing again. I’m glad to have a good time again doing something I love. This cruise will probably rank in at my #2 favorite cruise right behind a 2018 fascination sailing. 
Again, thank you all so much for going along with me. I appreciate you all more than you know. Can’t wait to hear about all your sailings. And let’s do this again in 50ish days, want to?! What do ya say?! 😉

• Like 16

Thanks for the wrap up! 

Even though I'm still days away from sailing MG I already know she's too big for me.  I said I wouldn't  ever book, but I did a couple years ago because of an outstanding price - of all things, a Havana Cabana.  I kept hoping they would improve that area but sadly they did not. (We did a HC on Vista and loved it, was great for DH who has some health issues as he could enjoy everything right there close to the cabin).

Your experiences (and Saint Greg's) have helped me prepare for my upcoming cruise - I can see which things I won't want to miss and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your vacation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

-Chibang will probably go down as a “miss”. This was the only place we had real service issues with, and minus my dessert, it just wasn’t very good. It’s an okay free option, but if they change it to “up charge”, it will die a slow death. They’ll be running around at night with a chimichanga cart

Definitely. I will not eat there at all if they have it on Celebration.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Thanks for the wrap up! 

Even though I'm still days away from sailing MG I already know she's too big for me.  I said I wouldn't  ever book, but I did a couple years ago because of an outstanding price - of all things, a Havana Cabana.  I kept hoping they would improve that area but sadly they did not. (We did a HC on Vista and loved it, was great for DH who has some health issues as he could enjoy everything right there close to the cabin).

Your experiences (and Saint Greg's) have helped me prepare for my upcoming cruise - I can see which things I won't want to miss and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your vacation.

Thank you for the kind words and for following along. Hope you have a great cruise. I believe she will still be sailing under capacity, so at least she won’t be too packed for your time. Enjoy! 

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'll have to respectfully disagree on Chibang. I loved all the food that I ate there. 

I liked the steamed rice and the dessert that is basically creme brulee. They call it something else though. It's better than the MDR creme brulee. The rest of it I thought was on par with MDR food. The worst was the pork belly. It was like cold turkey.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I liked the steamed rice and the dessert that is basically creme brulee. They call it something else though. It's better than the MDR creme brulee. The rest of it I thought was on par with MDR food. The worst was the pork belly. It was like cold turkey.  

I'm curious what you thought about the Asian food selections at Street Eats. All of the Asian dishes served there were as authentic as you would get in an average Chinese restaurant in any Chinatown across America. To see Sticky rice steamed in leaves on a cruiseship catering to Americans is as authentic Chinese Dim Sum as you can get. 

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm curious what you thought about the Asian food selections at Street Eats. All of the Asian dishes served there were as authentic as you would get in an average Chinese restaurant in any Chinatown across America. To see Sticky rice steamed in leaves on a cruiseship catering to Americans is as authentic Chinese Dim Sum as you can get. 

I'm more of a time fries guy when it comes to street eats.

Let me show you an example. JiJi's Pork Belly...outstanding

C081D04C-DA64-4B3A-A548-8B4E798954E9.thu

Chibang! pork belly.....cold turkey.

81A3FDF5-DD79-4E7E-8A1D-82D8A9EC743B.thu

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I liked what I got at Street Eats for free. I liked my dessert at Chibang and I like the Egg drop soup. DH’s meat in his lettuce wraps was cold, like never heated up and my broccoli beef was like candy. I would be mad if I paid for that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I liked what I got at Street Eats for free. I liked my dessert at Chibang and I like the Egg drop soup. DH’s meat in his lettuce wraps was cold, like never heated up and my broccoli beef was like candy. I would be mad if I paid for that. 

Which dessert did you get? I know one of y'all got that brownie thing. I didn't think it was anything special.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Which dessert did you get? I know one of y'all got that brownie thing. I didn't think it was anything special.

I got the crema catalana… the creme brûlée. Really liked it. 
The over cooked brownie puck… was too much. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Let me show you an example. JiJi's Pork Belly...outstanding

C081D04C-DA64-4B3A-A548-8B4E798954E9.thu

Chibang! pork belly.....cold turkey.

81A3FDF5-DD79-4E7E-8A1D-82D8A9EC743B.thu

Do you realize that the Chibang Pork Belly is more authentic Chinese version than the JiJi's?.

https://thewoksoflife.com/cantonese-roast-pork-belly/

Edited by kwokpot

10 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Which shows me that you're not partial to authentic Chinese cuisine, based on your multiple comments.  That's fine and is similar to many comments about various other ethnic foods that have been Americanized. 

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Which shows me that you're not partial to authentic Chinese cuisine, based on your multiple comments.  That's fine and is similar to many comments about various other ethnic foods that have been Americanized. 

I'm going to bet Carnival's target market is closer to my side of it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I also should add that I didn't like the Mexican side of the menu either...and I while I've never been to China, I have spent 23 days in Mexico this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I also should add that I didn't like the Mexican side of the menu either...and I while I've never been to China, I have spent 23 days in Mexico this year.

I'm not criticizing your food likes or dislikes which obviously you're entitled to. My whole point is that many of the Asian dishes that's presented on the Mardi Gras at various venues are unusual but authentic Chinese dishes. It may not be to your tastes, but that doesn't mean that the food isn't good.  

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Do you realize that the Chibang Pork Belly is more authentic Chinese version than the JiJi's?.

https://thewoksoflife.com/cantonese-roast-pork-belly/

Well, China is huge with a number of variations and styles of cooking.

Just from your source:

https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-pork-belly-recipes/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not criticizing your food likes or dislikes which obviously you're entitled to. My whole point is that many of the Asian dishes that's presented on the Mardi Gras at various venues are unusual but authentic Chinese dishes. It may not be to your tastes, but that doesn't mean that the food isn't good.  

Honey Walnut Shrimp. That's what Chibang! needs.