Using the Medallion worries me

Travel4LifeTime

32 minutes ago, mom says said:

But the cruise cards are RFID, aren't they? So you can  still be tracked while carrying it, can't you?.

One thing about the cruise cards, they are definitely easier to slip into a thin RFID wallet/sleeve than the much thicker Medallion.

9 minutes ago, barrykel said:

The medallion doesn't give the bartender the information - the ship's computer does. There's no reason it couldn't bring up the same info based on the ID on the card, which wouldn't even require RFID - it could just look it up when he scans the card. (I'm not sure if they're actually doing this, but I'll definitely ask the first bartender I see when I board on 12/11).

I thought the fundamental difference between the Medallion and an RFID cruise card was the use of the on board TV screens around the ship. You can access the "system" with a Medallion, but can you  also use a cruise card on those screens as well?

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The privacy issue will be and is a major concern.  Its just another chip off your personal security by a corporation from which you have no idea of where your information is being used or sold to third parties.  

I suppose you do not have a cell phone that tracks your every movement on land.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trbarton said:

Question….How will you cruise with Princess if you refuse to use the Medallion App & enter the necessary information that they require?

Tom🤔

I do not refuse to use the Medallion App. But the Medallion App refuses let me use it.

This is because none of our digital devices (phone and tablets) are new enough for the app to download to.

As to how to cruise without having had the app?   Well, Princess says give them a call and a helpful person will enter most of the data for you and the rest can be presented when you check in for the cruise on embarkation day.

Besides, the long wait to reach an agent can still be less than the time some people are posting it takes to get the Medallion to work on their devices.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I thought the fundamental difference between the Medallion and an RFID cruise card was the use of the on board TV screens around the ship. You can access the "system" with a Medallion, but can you  also use a cruise card on those screens as well?

Not sure, but IIRC (from a Princess video) the screens have a reader next to which you have to hold your medallion. No reason that reader couldn't also accept a tap from a card. I'll ask if it actually does that when I'm onboard. The one thing a card probably can't support is ordering from anywhere onboard. Could someone who's actually requested a card instead of a medallion kindly comment?