Using the Medallion worries me

Travel4LifeTime

I've been reading about the Ocean Medallion technology and see that it has some beneficial features when you are traveling in groups.  When I read about the information about it keeps about you and the people you travel with long after the voyage, it really concerns me.  You seem to give them permission to use other people's information in your group to learn about you and they take information from you to learn about you.  That applies not only for this trip but forever more!  Scary because they can use if for any "lawful, legitimate business purpose".

I don't know if others have concerns.  I know in the past lots of sites collected a bunch of information, wifi was free but unsecure, and people in general have gotten burned with unrestricted access to personal information.  As we know, laws got put into place after problems developed and it has gotten a bit better.  I think the Medallion is another example of making personal information available without conditions will need to change.  Love to hear other views!!!

I've attached a screen clip of what they say on the privacy statement and am copying it here:

• OTHER TRAVELERS. We may obtain information about you from other travelers who
    are traveling with you or who have traveled with you, as well as your emergency

contacts. We use this information to book your travel itinerary, communicate with
    you and those traveling with you about the Services, to support public health
    initiatives, to administer the Services, and for the purpose for which it was provided
    to us

When you are around the ship, there are 7,000 sensors so they know exactly where you are at all times.  They say there is no way to turn it off, stop and chat with someone, they know who.  Look at a painting they know and will share it with the vendor no matter when you stop to look and for years after. 

MEDALLIONCLASS™. To avoid the collection of your position and movement data
collected, do not use the Medallion .

What are your thoughts?  Benefits outweigh the risks?

See you soon!

Frank

p.s. I've attached a copy of the full privacy statement

Privacy Notice.pdf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with you, Frank.  We will not be using the app because I'm concerned about overall security with it. I work in the software industry, and based on what I see so far from their engineers, I don't trust them at all with my data.  If they can't launch with basic user functionality, I have zero faith in their security.  

• Like 4

My question to you…Do you not think that they already gather information on you and your traveling companions? Anytime you swiped your cruise card, they gathered information. Same as your cell phone. Your carrier is collecting data on you all day long. I’m sure you’ve been talking to someone about XYZ product while your phone was in your pocket. Shortly thereafter, an ad pops up for that XYZ product. The Medallion is no different. 

• Like 12

I also agree.  I spent 35 years as a software product manager and this is the worse application I have every seen.  I have emailed documents detailing the issues, they have recreated some of the issues while on-line with them and just spend another 2.5 hours with them and noting gets done (the last update is even worse).  The only consistent aspect of the application is that it is inconsistent.  Each day you look at, it changes (usually not for the good).  My Medallion will be staying in my cabin, which won't be much of an issue since I cannot even order one for three of my next four cruises that are leaving within three months.

• Like 2

Here's an evil question: If you carry your Medallion around the ship and it records you as being in prolonged close contact (perhaps at a nearby table in the MDR) with someone who tests COVID positive, then Princess can order you to self-isolate or quarantine. Right?

But if you leave the Medallion in your room, they would not have that data and therefore you would not be restricted/quarantined. Right?

I say this is an evil question because it elevates my selfish interests ("I'm not wearing a mask! I'm not getting a vaccine! etc) above what is good for society.

But just wondering . . .

• Like 1

Its called "CONTACT TRACING" and has been initiated due to Covid-19. 

Just because someone is negative 2 days before boarding doesn't mean they aren't asymptomatic day 4.  If someone on my shore excursion pops up with covid I sincerely hope they contact  & test everyone in that group; sequester us until results are back.

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4

I have ZERO concerns about using the Medallion but understand there are those who do. 

For the concerned among us here are four cloaking strategies that are sure to work. 

simply refuse the device in favor of a cruise card 

if unsuccessful with the above, go to guest services immediately upon boarding and tell them you don’t want a medallion and ask for a cruise card. 

upon arriving in your  cabin, immediately put the device into your safe and leave it there until the end of the cruise. 

take a small piece of aluminum foil with you and wrap the device in the foil for the length of the cruise. Or perhaps release it from its metal cocoon when needed, if you dare. 

I expect there are more strategies that can be utilized but these are the four that come immediately to mind. Perhaps others can contribute more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

My question to you…Do you not think that they already gather information on you and your traveling companions? Anytime you swiped your cruise card, they gathered information. Same as your cell phone. Your carrier is collecting data on you all day long. I’m sure you’ve been talking to someone about XYZ product while your phone was in your pocket. Shortly thereafter, an ad pops up for that XYZ product. The Medallion is no different. 

Agree......we are one of the most watched and tracked societies in the world and people are worried about the Medallion.....just being on the internet there is tremendous data that is stored about you by many who are watching your every keystroke.

I wonder what these passengers are going to do with the facial recognition technology that airlines, like Delta,  are introducing where you just look into a scanner for facial recognition.  No other identification is needed.  The technology will will allow passengers to check luggage, pass through security, and board the aircraft hands-free and no boarding pass at all.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

You're right, my mind went straight to the phone app when I read the OP.  Yes, they are collecting as much data as they can on us at all times.  I am one of those oddballs who does as little as possible from their phone, no banking, wifi off when I leave the house, restrict as many permissions as I can from apps I use, etc..  I just hope if we end up using the medallion, that if I fall overboard it acts like an EPIRB and lets them know I'm in the water.🤣

I am curious if there will be any difference in where our personal data is stored based on entry method.  It sounds like we can ultimately enter our information (passport, etc.) in the app, in person, via phone with Princess, or in the web-based app they are launching.  I just wonder if any of those go into the 'old' Princess DB only, or if every entry point now funnels all our data to medallion software.  I'm not as worried about them tracking my whereabouts as I am them not having our personal data secured.  The app is just a huge red security flag to me.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, Travel4LifeTime said:

I've been reading about the Ocean Medallion technology and see that it has some beneficial features when you are traveling in groups.  When I read about the information about it keeps about you and the people you travel with long after the voyage, it really concerns me.  You seem to give them permission to use other people's information in your group to learn about you and they take information from you to learn about you.  That applies not only for this trip but forever more!  Scary because they can use if for any "lawful, legitimate business purpose".

I don't know if others have concerns.  I know in the past lots of sites collected a bunch of information, wifi was free but unsecure, and people in general have gotten burned with unrestricted access to personal information.  As we know, laws got put into place after problems developed and it has gotten a bit better.  I think the Medallion is another example of making personal information available without conditions will need to change.  Love to hear other views!!!

I've attached a screen clip of what they say on the privacy statement and am copying it here:

• OTHER TRAVELERS. We may obtain information about you from other travelers who
    are traveling with you or who have traveled with you, as well as your emergency

contacts. We use this information to book your travel itinerary, communicate with
    you and those traveling with you about the Services, to support public health
    initiatives, to administer the Services, and for the purpose for which it was provided
    to us

When you are around the ship, there are 7,000 sensors so they know exactly where you are at all times.  They say there is no way to turn it off, stop and chat with someone, they know who.  Look at a painting they know and will share it with the vendor no matter when you stop to look and for years after. 

MEDALLIONCLASS™. To avoid the collection of your position and movement data
collected, do not use the Medallion .

What are your thoughts?  Benefits outweigh the risks?

See you soon!

Frank

p.s. I've attached a copy of the full privacy statement

Privacy Notice.pdf 181.11 kB · 1 download

Just go with the flow, big brother already knows what you had for breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Do the cruise cards themselves not already have rfid as well? In any case, I wonder if keeping the medallion in an rfid blocking pouch would work for those worried about it. Just pull it out when you want to unlock your door or order a drink.

For me I am happy with the technology and am excited to see what more they will be able to do with it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hunt182644 said:

Just go with the flow, big brother already knows what you had for breakfast.

I am surprised that more passengers are not familiar with the Medallion.

We were on the Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in 2018 when the ships were first outfitted with the technology and still have our Medallions from those cruises and even the Apps from then are still on our phones.....granted they have added a lot more features but it is still the basic Medallion technology.  

The only entity that knows more about us then Princess is Amazon....🙀

• Like 2

Just now, ChangeOrder said:

Do the cruise cards themselves not already have rfid as well? In any case, I wonder if keeping the medallion in an rfid blocking pouch would work for those worried about it. Just pull it out when you want to unlock your door or order a drink.

For me I am happy with the technology and am excited to see what more they will be able to do with it.

take a small piece of aluminum foil with you and wrap the device in the foil for the length of the cruise. Or perhaps release it from its metal cocoon when needed, if you dare. 

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

take a small piece of aluminum foil with you and wrap the device in the foil for the length of the cruise. Or perhaps release it from its metal cocoon when needed, if you dare. 

You beat me to this!  I was going to say the same thing.

I sailed earlier this month on the Grand Princess. I did not use an app or smart phone. I got a regular cruise card. I do not like being tracked or marketed to.  I bought a 10 pack of RFID sleeves for my credit cards. They were a whole dollar on ebay. If you want to use the medallion and not have all these readers "read" you slip one over your medallion and unslip it when you need to. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sailed earlier this month on the Grand Princess. I did not use an app or smart phone. I got a regular cruise card. I do not like being tracked or marketed to.  I bought a 10 pack of RFID sleeves for my credit cards. They were a whole dollar on ebay. If you want to use the medallion and not have all these readers "read" you slip one over your medallion and unslip it when you need to. 

13 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Trust me, Princess still tracked you even using your card. Every time your card was scanned, data was collected. You being on the internet, yep. Your site usage will s being collected. Including right here on cruise critic. Unless you live completely off the grid, which clearly you don’t, you are being tracked. Welcome to the technology age. 

On 10/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, Travel4LifeTime said:

They say there is no way to turn it off, stop and chat with someone, they know who.  Look at a painting they know and will share it with the vendor no matter when you stop to look and for years after. 

Tin foil may not work depending on what type of technology the Medallion uses.  A Faraday Cage is what will securely block the signal from the medallion.  If you are extremely concerned, you can put it into a Faraday bag and then keep it in your cabin safe as well.  I kept the medallion in my Faraday bag and I could see that it was working when I would stand in front of any of the displays on the ship that displays your photo when you stand in front of or pass by a display.  I was completely invisible to the Medallion system unless I wanted to be seen.  In that case, I would just remove the medallion from the Faraday pouch, use it for a purchase or re-entry to the ship and it would go right back into the pouch.  Very easy to maintain your privacy and still get the benefits of the Medallion when you wanted to use it.

“Shine The Light” Law.  California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section §1798.83) provides certain rights to California residents that have an established business relationship with us with regard to the disclosure of certain types of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.

To opt-out of having your personal information disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please click Do Not Sell My Personal Information and provide your contact information to be added to our suppression list.

I plan on putting this to use. 

22 minutes ago, c-boy said:

“Shine The Light” Law.  California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section §1798.83) provides certain rights to California residents that have an established business relationship with us with regard to the disclosure of certain types of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.

To opt-out of having your personal information disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please click Do Not Sell My Personal Information and provide your contact information to be added to our suppression list.

I plan on putting this to use. 

Nice new avatar!!  😀

• Like 1