Cruise Planner - tips, tricks and advice?

ocdb8r

I'm curious for the Board's collective wisdom on what's worth purchasing ahead of time via the Cruise Planner?  With Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales coming up, we're trying to decide what (if anything) to purchase ahead of time for our cruise next year on the Symphony.  Some specific questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that ANY purchase on Cruise Planner can be cancelled ahead of time (meaning we could purchase and rebook if prices go down or if in the end we decide we don't want something we purchase)?

2) We have not cruised RCCL extensively, but in reading the Boards it seems some things are often offered on-board at a discount.  I think I even read a post where someone "haggled" with one of the crew selling specialty dinners to get a better price (apologies if I mis-remembered).  With this in mind, wondering what Cruise Planner items tend to be the best ACTUAL deals over what you'd have to pay onboard.

3) For internet - pricing for one person to get two devices appears slightly cheaper than for each of us to get one device each.  Any reason not to go with the cheaper option?

Anything else we should be thinking about Cruise Planner wise?

Edited by ocdb8r

We are sailing Jan 29, 2022 Odyssey. I purchased 3 day dining plan, unlimited beverage package and Voom yesterday. Today the prices went down. However no way to know if the prices will decrease.

I cancelled and rebooked. I will keep checking as well. If they do not go down anymore we are happy with today's prices. 

I can't anwer your other questions but other than I see no reason you can't go with the two device option. 

Edited by jonj

If there is something you really want then you should go ahead and book it because some items do sell out. Note that simply putting an item in your cart and leaving it there without finalising the purchase will not secure the item or guarantee the price; it's not yours until you've paid for it and the price may change in the meantime.

For the internet, if you need to be able to have two devices connected simultaneously then the two-device package is the way to go as it is almost always cheaper than buying two separate one-device packages. To book this, you only add one guest; that guest will then receive the log-in ability for the two devices and creates a password that can be used for both devices. If you add two guests when booking, you will effectively be purchasing log-in ability for four devices. (I hope I explained that clearly; it can be quite confusing if it's your first time purchasing).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

I'm curious for the Board's collective wisdom on what's worth purchasing ahead of time via the Cruise Planner?  With Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales coming up, we're trying to decide what (if anything) to purchase ahead of time for our cruise next year on the Symphony.  Some specific questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that ANY purchase on Cruise Planner can be cancelled ahead of time (meaning we could purchase and rebook if prices go down or if in the end we decide we don't want something we purchase)?

2) We have not cruised RCCL extensively, but in reading the Boards it seems some things are often offered on-board at a discount.  I think I even read a post where someone "haggled" with one of the crew selling specialty dinners to get a better price (apologies if I mis-remembered).  With this in mind, wondering what Cruise Planner items tend to be the best ACTUAL deals over what you'd have to pay onboard.

3) For internet - pricing for one person to get two devices appears slightly cheaper than for each of us to get one device each.  Any reason not to go with the cheaper option?

Anything else we should be thinking about Cruise Planner wise?

1. yes. 2.  sometimes for 1st night but better during pre cruise sales.  UDP may be worth it if you like the specialty restaurants. 3.  if 2 people always 2 device for one. Cheapest prices are usually cyber monday.  Have got some decent deals on other holidays.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

Yes, this is correct.

41 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

The "haggling" is not guaranteed, and only works if they are not selling well -- it's kind of a last-ditch effort to put butts in the seats and get at least SOME revenue.  With passenger capacities increasing over time, I would expect those haggling opportunities to decrease.  

If there's something that you KNOW you want to try, go ahead and get it in advance at a price you can live with.  If there's something you can take-or-leave, then wait and see if you can get it cheaper on board, and be aware that there's a possibility you won't be getting it.

45 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

None whatsoever.  If you both want to be connected at all times, have one person purchase a 2-device plan and share the log-in information with the other person.  If you only want to check emails occasionally without being connected continuously, you can get a 1-device plan and share that.

I always find the best prices over Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend. (With the exception of an IT goof one year that offered $18 drink packages.)  I have over a dozen cruises booked next year and I'll be purchasing my beverage and internet packages for all of them next month.  

• Like 2

Thanks all for the thoughts and input.

One follow up - it appears RCCL will let me use my OBC to purchase items in the Cruise Planner.  Any issues if I do this and then cancel and re-book an item (especially as my OBC won't cover full cost of items, so it's a mix of OBC and credit card charge)?  I fear a nightmare, but perhaps RCCL has it all seamlessly programmed.

2 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

Thanks all for the thoughts and input.

One follow up - it appears RCCL will let me use my OBC to purchase items in the Cruise Planner.  Any issues if I do this and then cancel and re-book an item (especially as my OBC won't cover full cost of items, so it's a mix of OBC and credit card charge)?  I fear a nightmare, but perhaps RCCL has it all seamlessly programmed.

Cruise planner OBC is always instantly refunded to the cruise planner if you cancel anything so will be available to use immediately. The credit card part will be refunded to the card and may take up to about 10 days or so, so you will have pay that amount out again while you wait for the refund.

• Like 1

I wanted to book a certain shore excursion which has a meal. The cruise planner will not let me book it since I've already booked my dining. You use to be able to change your dining times in event something like this happens but no more. I tried to and now my wife has dining times but mine are gone and RCI says they can't put them back since the slot is filed. I'm just going to show up with her since all the tables are set up for 2 but I still can't take my excursion.

Edited by B113