Who just got an extention of final payment due?

shepherd really

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you are correct then woe with O!  The IMO Polar Code changes were adopted (with plenty of publicity and notice to all shipping/cruise lines) several years ago.  The phase-in of various provisions was intended to give cruise lines and other travel providers several years to make plans or bring their vessels up to compliance.  In fact some cruise lines such as Seabourn have actually had time to build new vessels that comply with the most stringent requirements  that would allow them to actual land folks ashore (using Zodiac-like craft).    I would also mention that O has previously extended FP dates on multiple cruises (including our Dec 1 cruise) that obviously had nothing to do with the Polar Code....unless that applies to ships cruising near the equator :).

Hank

If we stipulate that the operators of a cruise line are conversant with the 2021 regulations (and I do),  then this may be us amateurs misreading the code.  After going over it twice it appears that the operational and equipment requirements relate to three categories of conditions. 

For a detailed overview read this

https://www.dnv.com/maritime/polar/operation.html

I think based on where we are cruising and our planned activities (no landings, etc) we'll skate on the ice requirements. 

54 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you are correct then woe with O!  The IMO Polar Code changes were adopted (with plenty of publicity and notice to all shipping/cruise lines) several years ago.  The phase-in of various provisions was intended to give cruise lines and other travel providers several years to make plans or bring their vessels up to compliance.  In fact some cruise lines such as Seabourn have actually had time to build new vessels that comply with the most stringent requirements  that would allow them to actual land folks ashore (using Zodiac-like craft).    I would also mention that O has previously extended FP dates on multiple cruises (including our Dec 1 cruise) that obviously had nothing to do with the Polar Code....unless that applies to ships cruising near the equator :).

Hank

Again, with the understanding that I don’t keep tabs on this kind of stuff,  my understanding was that only recently constructed ships would fully meet 2022 requirements. Perhaps someone else like chengkp75 could weigh in on this.

33 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I think based on where we are cruising and our planned activities (no landings, etc) we'll skate on the ice requirements. 

Me thinks O's cadre of maritime attorneys  have reached the same conclusion.

Thus the three sailings Jan 2022,  and Jan and Feb 2023 are on the schedule.

I just hope that the 8 Jan sailing is not on thin ice with kicking the FP can down the road.

Now I am going to "let it go."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, with the understanding that I don’t keep tabs on this kind of stuff,  my understanding was that only recently constructed ships would fully meet 2022 requirements. Perhaps someone else like chengkp75 could weigh in on this.

That would not necessarily be true as I think Hurtigruten and National Geographic have some older ships that comply with Polar 6 standards.  The Polar 6 (and even Polar 7) standards are tough and a line such as "O" has no ship that comes close.  But none of this has anything to do with Final Payments on cruises around South America which was my point.  I mentioned that Seabourn is building two ships (the first is called the Seabourn Venture and should be operating by April 2022) which have been constructed to fully comply with Polar Class 6 standards.  This will allow these ships to enter arctic waters and land passengers (using Zodiacs) in small groups with professional guides.   I should also mention that Seabourn has designed special submarines which will take passengers down hundreds of feet with lots of glass for viewing.  Before any "O" fans jump to book these Seabourn cruises, the cost is quite high (I think I had heart palpitations when I saw the price).  The submarine excursions will cost extra (a lot extra) although as of 2 weeks ago nobody would put a price on that excursion although we are certainly talking $500+ for a short excursion.   

Hank

I likewise don’t believe that the delay in FP has anything to do with the Polar regulations. It’s no different than missing or changing any port, which they quite often do. Sea Days or alternate ports are scheduled in to fill in the schedule. Oceania should notify its passengers before FP if they know the changes are required.

To be fully honest, at this point, Oceania should change its published itineraries for any 2023 and beyond sailings and eliminate sailing into Antarctica waters.

FWIW, we deliberately chose our itinerary because it didn’t go into that region. We knew that both regulatory wise and weather wise those ventures were highly problematic. Those “ new” regulations on sailing in those waters have been published for several years. NCL/Oceania should have been fully aware of the impact it would have on them. There is nothing sudden about this.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I likewise don’t believe that the delay in FP has anything to do with the Polar regulations. It’s no different than missing or changing any port, which they quite often do. Sea Days or alternate ports are scheduled in to fill in the schedule. Oceania should notify its passengers before FP if they know the changes are required.

To be fully honest, at this point, Oceania should change its published itineraries for any 2023 and beyond sailings and eliminate sailing into Antarctica waters.

FWIW, we deliberately chose our itinerary because it didn’t go into that region. We knew that both regulatory wise and weather wise those ventures were highly problematic. Those “ new” regulations on sailing in those waters have been published for several years. NCL/Oceania should have been fully aware of the impact it would have on them. There is nothing sudden about this.

Well, for the 8 Jan cruise O can claim that the pandemic impacted sailing decision. Even if (a big if) there is some other reason or cause.

Wonder how they will deal with 2023 "Antarctic" ummm... the  "polar" cruises, as O calls the Jan and Feb 2023 cruises, if in fact they are impacted by new regs.  Then me thinks O will have no clothes.

Anyhow, hopefully by then the pandemic will just be endemic and some semblance of "normalcy" will return.

BTW @pinot lover will your CC handle be changing to Malbec Lover after your cruise? 🍷   Just wondering....

Edited by Homerody
  • Haha 2