Should I do a Royal Up Bid

lhsail

I’m sure if I had a lot of time for searches and research, I could gather information, but I’m short on time. We’re booked in a very nice balcony cabin for a 5 night cruise on the Adventure. Looking at a Royal Up bid for a Grand Suite. We got such a good price on the cruise, the minimum move up bid is almost as much per person as our initial price. Please help me understand exactly what we would get by moving to a Grand Suite. I don’t believe there are any special restaurant perks. Appreciate any guidance. 

8 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

This might be the most concise explanation of GS benefits. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-suites-program

Can you explain this further?  “Suite Lounge/Concierge Club Access (Hors d’oeuvres and Cocktails Each Evening)”

I think we’ve “met” recently on the Celebrity board, especially about the Summit. 

The suite lounge is open all day for hanging out. During the evening (approx 3 hours) they will have appetizers out (served by crew with covid). Mostly light snacks. Think Asian skewers, crab cakes, veggie / cheese plates, fruit, choc covered strawberries, small desserts. 

it will also have an open bar during this time. 

Edited by AustinCruise

1 minute ago, lhsail said:

Can you explain this further?  “Suite Lounge/Concierge Club Access (Hors d’oeuvres and Cocktails Each Evening)”

I think we’ve “met” recently on the Celebrity board, especially about the Summit. 

Guest traveling in suites have a dedicate lounge.  On some ships it is named Suite Lounge on others it is called the Concierge Club or Concierge Lounge.   You will have access to this lounge 24/7 but it may not be staffed during off hours.  

Normally between 5 pm and 7pm each evening there will be hors d'oeuvers (finger food, e.g. cheese, crackers, chicken wings, pigs in a blanket, sliced vegetables, etc.) are served in the lounge along with beer, wine, and mixed drinks that are free. 

6 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

The suite lounge is open all day for hanging out. During the evening (approx 3 hours) they will have appetizers out (served by crew with covid). Mostly light snacks. Think Asian skewers, crab cakes, veggie / cheese plates, fruit, choc covered strawberries, small desserts. 

So this is in addition to the drinks we get based on our status?

8 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Hey there! I apologize for not noticing. I'm on my phone and didn't really even look at who posted. Sorry about that! 

To expand on the above excellent explanation about the lounge, they also sometimes have a bit of breakfast buffet in there, but that might not be going on right now. 

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Hey there! I apologize for not noticing. I'm on my phone and didn't really even look at who posted. Sorry about that! 

To expand on the above excellent explanation about the lounge, they also sometimes have a bit of breakfast buffet in there, but that might not be going on right now. 

No problem. A “bit of a breakfast buffet” would not suffice for DH. However, extra drinks on top of our Diamond status allotment would. 😁

Still feeling so blessed to have spent 3 1/2 weeks on the Summit with the current crew. They are about to reach the end of their contracts and disperse. 

7 minutes ago, lhsail said:

No problem. A “bit of a breakfast buffet” would not suffice for DH. However, extra drinks on top of our Diamond status allotment would. 😁

Still feeling so blessed to have spent 3 1/2 weeks on the Summit with the current crew. They are about to reach the end of their contracts and disperse. 

Well, then, the seated breakfast (typically in one of the specialty restaurants each morning) may be up your DH's alley. It can be pretty nice (and there's plenty of it). It takes a little more time than the Windjammer, of course, but not a whole lot usually.  It's more than worth it if you're not in a huge hurry. 

And, yes, that Summit crew were (are) outstanding! I only got 11 nights, but I'll treasure them! 

59 minutes ago, lhsail said:

I’m sure if I had a lot of time for searches and research, I could gather information, but I’m short on time. We’re booked in a very nice balcony cabin for a 5 night cruise on the Adventure. Looking at a Royal Up bid for a Grand Suite. We got such a good price on the cruise, the minimum move up bid is almost as much per person as our initial price. Please help me understand exactly what we would get by moving to a Grand Suite. I don’t believe there are any special restaurant perks. Appreciate any guidance. 

If I had a nice balcony cabin on the Adventure for a nice price, there is no way I would double my costs by upgrading to a Grand Suite.  Save the money to pay for the few things you would use, like a couple more drinks.  And the rest for another cruise.

🙂 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Well, then, the seated breakfast (typically in one of the specialty restaurants each morning) may be up your DH's alley. It can be pretty nice (and there's plenty of it). It takes a little more time than the Windjammer, of course, but not a whole lot usually.  It's more than worth it if you're not in a huge hurry. 

And, yes, that Summit crew were (are) outstanding! I only got 11 nights, but I'll treasure them! 

Is there any outside seating for the Windjammer on the Adventure?  We eat breakfast and lunch outside on the back of the ship almost every day. 

6 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Is there any outside seating for the Windjammer on the Adventure?  We eat breakfast and lunch outside on the back of the ship almost every day. 

I don't think so. I've never been on Adventure, and it's been a while since I've been on a Voyager class, but I recall it being all windowed in. You can take it out to the pool, though that's not quite the view. 

I hope someone corrects me! 

2 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

This alone would make me pass  lol 
But yes, Since Covid all Appetizers and Petit Fours are served by vaccinated and Covid Free Staff 😉

• Haha 1

I did a Royal Upgrade from a balcony to a Grand Suite on the Freedom of the Seas 8/30 - 9/3. This is the Suite Perks letter that we received - 

51438342338_7da12ae31f_c.jpg

The perks we enjoyed the most were the cocktail hour in the Suite Lounge from 5pm-8pm (no voucher use required), breakfast in Chops, and the In-Suite Dining Room Service.

I know you mentioned your minimum bid is pretty high - try doing a "ghost booking" of the Grand Suite you want to bid on and see what it would cost if you were to pay for it in full. Then you can decide if the savings you'd get from your balcony fare + bid are worth it to you! For example, we saved almost exactly half off the full-price Suite fare. Considering I would likely never book a Suite on my own at full-price, I thought this was a great way for us to get to experience it. Good luck with your bid if you choose to place one, and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RachLovesSteak said:

I did a Royal Upgrade from a balcony to a Grand Suite on the Freedom of the Seas 8/30 - 9/3. This is the Suite Perks letter that we received - 

51438342338_7da12ae31f_c.jpg

The perks we enjoyed the most were the cocktail hour in the Suite Lounge from 5pm-8pm (no voucher use required), breakfast in Chops, and the In-Suite Dining Room Service.

I know you mentioned your minimum bid is pretty high - try doing a "ghost booking" of the Grand Suite you want to bid on and see what it would cost if you were to pay for it in full. Then you can decide if the savings you'd get from your balcony fare + bid are worth it to you! For example, we saved almost exactly half off the full-price Suite fare. Considering I would likely never book a Suite on my own at full-price, I thought this was a great way for us to get to experience it. Good luck with your bid if you choose to place one, and enjoy your cruise!

Hello fellow Ausitnite. Thank you so much for passing this along. I did do a mock booking and the going price is considerably more. Although we would almost double our cost, we got such a great deal on this cruise that if we got the upgrade, it still would be a good deal for a suite. There are still 11 Grand Suites available. It’s very tempting. We’ve spent 3 1/3 weeks on the Celebrity Summit this summer and fall and were able to get a family veranda for all sailings. Hard to go back. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Hello fellow Ausitnite. Thank you so much for passing this along. I did do a mock booking and the going price is considerably more. Although we would almost double our cost, we got such a great deal on this cruise that if we got the upgrade, it still would be a good deal for a suite. There are still 11 Grand Suites available. It’s very tempting. We’ve spent 3 1/3 weeks on the Celebrity Summit this summer and fall and were able to get a family veranda for all sailings. Hard to go back. 🤦‍♀️

which sailing are you doing on the Adventure?  We are on 11/12 and 11/17.  Also have a bid in for royal up on the 12th.  Nothing for the 17th on the site or via email.  

We have been on Summit 5x.  We are looking at a 6th sailing possibly next fall.  It is our favorite ship especially since the revamp.

1 minute ago, Acrown said:

I have a balcony and placed the bid for a JR Suite and also a Grand Suite. I choose the minimum bid for each, Regardless Balcony is nice, but i still hope I get the upgrade lol 

How much was the JS minimum? We're looking at a $250/pp from Balcony to JS (on Symphony) and can't decide how much added value there is. When we booked, ocean view balcony was $600 and JS was over $2000 - I feel as though I'm missing something if people are willing to pay 3x as much for the difference.

2 minutes ago, P_and_L said:

How much was the JS minimum? We're looking at a $250/pp from Balcony to JS (on Symphony) and can't decide how much added value there is. When we booked, ocean view balcony was $600 and JS was over $2000 - I feel as though I'm missing something if people are willing to pay 3x as much for the difference.

$120 is the minimum bid for a JS for a 5 night cruise. Since all you really get is more space and not the suite perks, not worth it in my humble opinion.