Recently Recovered & Testing Requirement

dcs1989

Hello,

I am recently recovered from covid and one of those that continues to test positive even though i've been cleared.

Does NCL accept a Documentation of Recovery like a doctors note similar to what the CDC accepts when returning to he US?  

Edited by dcs1989

How long ago did you have covid?  I am currently a breakthrough covid case on day 15 since symptoms started. I have 102 days until my cruise and I am curious how long you have tested positive.  I was not going to try testing until I am fully recovered (I still have symptoms) and a month or so has past but I am concerned that people can continue to test positive for 3 months or longer.

I think your question was answered above.  So all I can do is give you encouragement.  My wife got Breakthrough Covid 8-days before a cruise that was supposed to take place July 31, 2021.  I had her tested the first week in August, 2021 and she was negative.  We rebooked for August 21, 2021 and we were good to go.  Everyone is different but you usually test negative 21 days after your first symptoms happen.  

I wish you great luck and hope it all works out for you and your family.

• Like 2

I have a friend who kept testing positive after she was recovered, she needed to test negative to return to work.  Someone told her to get one of those medi-pots or something similar to clear out her sinuses.  I don't know if it was coincidence or if it worked, but the next week she tested negative.  Might be worth a try.

• Like 1

If you are concerned about having a positive test 'on your record', simply buy some home tests at CVS or Walgreens.   They are stocked on the shelf, you don't need ID or insurance to buy them.

Once your home test shows negative, get a PCR test (1-2 days processing time) just before the cruise.  Again CVS and Walgreens offer them, but not all locations.

If you have proof of a negative PCR within 96 hours of departure but still test positive at the pier (and are denied boarding), you can claim the travel insurance protection.   Without that negative PCR, your claim might be denied.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that any positive tests at the pier are offered a re-test.  If not offered, be sure to ask for one.

The way I see it, the PCR demonstrates that you did your due diligence, used the highest quality test available at retail, and made the best effort to ensure that you are negative before joining the cruise.  That level of responsibility seems to be what the insurance policy expects.

6 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

If you are concerned about having a positive test 'on your record', simply buy some home tests at CVS or Walgreens.   They are stocked on the shelf, you don't need ID or insurance to buy them.

Once your home test shows negative, get a PCR test (1-2 days processing time) just before the cruise.  Again CVS and Walgreens offer them, but not all locations.

If you have proof of a negative PCR within 96 hours of departure but still test positive at the pier (and are denied boarding), you can claim the travel insurance protection.   Without that negative PCR, your claim might be denied.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that any positive tests at the pier are offered a re-test.  If not offered, be sure to ask for one.

The way I see it, the PCR demonstrates that you did your due diligence, used the highest quality test available at retail, and made the best effort to ensure that you are negative before joining the cruise.  That level of responsibility seems to be what the insurance policy expects.

All me to make a clarification here.  The 96 hour PCR test does not effect travel insurance.  It effects NCL policy (which may still or may not still be in place) to provide accommodations for quarantine after port test. 

Because this subject is so important and I am no Insurance expert.  Allow me to explain.  My Travel Insurance Company, Allianz sent a update after purchase that they did indeed cover covid related issues.  Please remember, travel insurance can range from simply Health issue on the ship to cancellation/trip interruption.  They offer low to very high rates based on coverage.  Most but not all cover covid related issue including a positive test at port.  But that depends on all the coverages not just health related.

This is a subject I take very seriously.  WHY, because my wife had breakthrough Covid and we had to cancel a trip.  

I don't sell insurance, nor represent any company that does.  The REAL reason for a PCR test before an upcoming cruise is piece of mind.  Knowing that you don't have to wait for the day of the cruise to see it you are one of the very unlucky folks not being able to board.  

Everyone needs to do their due diligence to know what the rules are from your insurance provider.  Do not trust me, or social media for your facts.  Strange time means better research.

Cruise well everyone.

1 hour ago, Sue Do-Over said:

If you have proof of a negative PCR within 96 hours of departure but still test positive at the pier (and are denied boarding), you can claim the travel insurance protection

First, as @Sthrngary said, this has nothing to do with travel insurance protection, it has to do with NCL's policy for providing assistance with expenses not covered by travel insurance should you be required to quarantine. Second, an antigen test is also acceptable for this purpose...but an at home non-proctored test would not be because you would not have acceptable documented proof of a negative result. You need a proctored test in order to have documentation of the negative test.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

**We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their travel date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying to or connecting through before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

1 hour ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Yes, they do a PCR test if your antigen test is positive.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

• Thanks 1