Bonine regimen

SKYYcamel

On 11/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Hlitner said:

I have not posted this related tale (which is absolutely true) in many years.  We were on a HAL cruise when we became quite friendly with the ship's physician who told the table  (one night at dinner) the following story one evening at dinner.  He was working on a HAL cruise when an elderly lady was discovered wandering the corridors in the wee hours of the morning.  The lady was completely nude and also very confused.  It turned out that she was hallucinating which is one of the rare side effects of transderm Scop.  All turned out fine, she went off the patch, and her life returned to normal. But I think you will not find any cruise ship physician who gives out those patches.  

Hank

My wife used the patch for one of our cruises.

She woke me up on about the second or 3rd night because she was having a conversation with her brother who was not even on the ship. I gently talked to her and got her back down.

About an hour later, she woke me up again. She was sitting up and talking to our cat while petting it. The cat had been dead for a few years. I got her back to sleep and held her the rest of the evening.

We threw the patches away the next day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

My husband and I have used Scopolamine patches on our dive trips for several years now, and for us it works well, no side effects like described. I did try using Dramamine on a recent and it worked well too, so I may switch to that or bonine - meclizine. If that works just as well, why not and not take any chances, even though we've been fine with the patch. 

WOW!  So the old paramedic part of me really wonders about a SCUBA diver using scopolamine in any form (including the patch).  Imagine if you have hallucinations when 50 feet down.  I did enough diving (when a lot younger) to understand that diving and drugs are not always a good combination.  I did a quick look around the Internet and discovered that Scopolamine is used by the US Navy including for divers,...as a seasick remedy.  But you do have to wonder about that hallucination side-effect.

Hank 

I've had blurry vision with Scopalomine as well.  No hallucinations thankfully.

Regarding Meclazine; it is the generic form of Bonine for sure.  But, I've taken both and it seems to me the Bonine is longer acting.  Probably formulated for slow release.

My cruise regimen is 1 Bonine at night. One thing; Meclazine/Bonine is an antihistamine and will dry up your sinuses and could leave you dehydrated.  I usually know when I check out pictures of myself and my eyes are super puffy.  Sure sign of dehydration, for me anyway.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, SKYYcamel said:

What is your Bonine regimen?  I’m thinking one at bed time and in the morning. Anyone else use Bonine?

How ever you decide to take the Bonine, you may want to head to your pharmacy counter and ask for a bottle of Meclizine (which is what bonine is).  I got a bottle of 100 tablets, and it was a lot cheaper.  I think I paid $5.  It's worth looking into.  ☺️

27 minutes ago, K32682 said:

One has to seriously question the wisdom of a holiday you need to be doped up for. If you're predisposed to motion sickness cruises might not be for you. 

There is a significant difference between taking medications and being "doped up".  I can take my usual motion sickness  meds and still fully enjoy all that my cruises have had to offer. 

I also get car sick. Are you suggesting that I never get into a car again?

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mom says said:

There is a significant difference between taking medications and being "doped up".  I can take my usual motion sickness  meds and still fully enjoy all that my cruises have had to offer. 

I also get car sick. Are you suggesting that I never get into a car again?

When the "medications" should not be mixed with alcohol, may result in hallucinations, blurred vision, increased thirst, fits of anger, etc. and might cause you to walk around the ship naked or hold conversations with a dead cat then perhaps it would be more sensible to spend your holidays in accommodation that doesn't require you to be doped up to enjoy. 

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

When the "medications" should not be mixed with alcohol, may result in hallucinations, blurred vision, increased thirst, fits of anger, etc. and might cause you to walk around the ship naked or hold conversations with a dead cat then perhaps it would be more sensible to spend your holidays in accommodation that doesn't require you to be doped up to enjoy. 

Oh for heavens sake. That is only one of the many medications available. And there is a reason why it is by prescription only, and usually prescribed as  a last resort. Your blanket ridicule of all motion sickness sufferers who rely on medications as being "doped up" is a step too far. Do you take any daily medications? Does that medication have any potential side effects listed? Does that mean you should never go on a cruise? Never mind whether you are adversely affected by those side effects or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. People are getting really ramped up over this topic. Like I said before, my husband and I use the Scopolamine patch. It may have side effects for some people but for us it's never been an issue. We know other divers who use it too. If it ever became an issue I would certainly stop. And I may switch to Dramamine/bonine anyway, just b/c it's easier to get, no script. 

This is not a case of people getting "doped up" to go on a vacation. I wish people would be a little kinder on these forums. No need to get snarky, 

• Like 2

I've used 2 to 3 meclizine per day for years (vertigo).  On cruises, I try to space them out so that I'm always pretty well protected: first thing in the morning, a couple hours before dinner, and last thing at night.  Some people say that they get drowsy, but it seems to usually involve alcohol.  I've never gotten drowsy from it.

Speaking of the patch, did you know that scopolamine has been experimented with as a truth serum?  I remember them using it in "Where Eagles Dare".  I've joked with patch wearers on cruises that they'd better look out because they might find themselves telling their spouses the truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_serum

20 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

Speaking of the patch, did you know that scopolamine has been experimented with as a truth serum?  I remember them using it in "Where Eagles Dare".  I've joked with patch wearers on cruises that they'd better look out because they might find themselves telling their spouses the truth.

A candid confession may not be the most serious outcome of being loaded up on scopolamine aka Devil's Breath.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/date-rape-drug

"The list of drugs associated with sexual assaults is long, and among others the list includes flunitrazepam with other benzodiazepines, such as diazepamtemazepamclonazepamoxazepam, as well as γ-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), ketamine, and scopolamine." 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:45 AM, snaebyllej said:

You just cost me $3.99!  I recall from too many years ago reading and enjoying Where Eagles Dare.  Your post made me want to read it again. Just bought it on Kindle.   

On 11/22/2021 at 9:50 AM, mom says said:

Oh for heavens sake. That is only one of the many medications available. And there is a reason why it is by prescription only, and usually prescribed as  a last resort. Your blanket ridicule of all motion sickness sufferers who rely on medications as being "doped up" is a step too far. Do you take any daily medications? Does that medication have any potential side effects listed? Does that mean you should never go on a cruise? Never mind whether you are adversely affected by those side effects or not.

Is there any medication that does not list potential side-effects?  I don't think so.   

On 11/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, mom says said:

I have chronic motion sickness- all forms of transport,  so I start the night before our flight to the port! Then every night at bedtime. This evening dosing eliminates any daytime drowsiness, and I only need an extra day dose if the seas are really rolling.

The same regimen for me. Need extra if going on a small boat for an extended time. Just felt queasy once on my Australia New Zealand cruise. Was at bay of islands, with tender, small boat and tender, on rocky waters.

Edited by pjwaz