Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

3 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

Thanks @Sthrngary for putting this together.  Excited to read along.  We are booked for 4/9/22 on the Joy so it will be interesting to see your take on things.  It will be my daughter's first Haven adventure and she is exited.

No problem.  My son and daughter are also first time Haven Guests.  My issue is they will be in the Haven Deluxe Owners Suite on their first time.  Where to you go from there.  For my wife and I, this is a once in a life time Suite.  Never in a million years did I ever think this would be possible. 

BTW, I lived in NC early on in my life.  We lived in Cary.  It was when Jimmy V won the National Championship.  A long time ago but quite a lot of fun.

Cruise well.

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I will do my best to help you.  The easiest way it to book your cruise through American Express Travel.  The second best way and it is the way I do it, have a Cruise Travel Agent that is part of the American Express Team.  Most TA can are but check.  The next thing you have to remember is the entire cruise needs to be on your American Express.  Finally, the perks are dependent on the stateroom you get.  

I usually do Haven so I usually get $300.00 OBC and Dinner for Two at the French Restaurant.  I recently went on Crystal Cruises and got $500.00 OBC.  I hope I helped you.

@Sthrngary - Yes, very helpful! Thanks so much.  We likewise do the Haven. 🙂

On 11/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, Sthrngary said:

Installment #2: Pre-Cruise Covid-19 Testing:

Self-Isolation Prior to the Cruise:

This is my wife and my second cruise during Covid-19 in 2021.  The first was late August 2021.  That cruise was originally on July31, 2021 and had to be cancelled due to my wife having “Breakthrough Covid-19”.  The lesson was to isolate three (3) weeks before your cruise.  Basically, use good business judgment.  We all must remember, if just one of our party goes to the port of Miami and shows a positive covid-19 test, no one goes on the cruise.

Home CVS Covid-19 Testing 3-Days Prior to Cruise:

The challenge is this cruise leaves the Saturday after Thanksgiving and we fly out the Friday after Thanksgiving. This testing is much more for our stress level than for NCL.  NCL. The question on the table is will NCL pay for your quarantining if the test is positive.  My family and I have “Cruise Travel Insurance” that does cover Covid-19, trip interruption and cancellation.  NCL would only pay what the insurance company does not.  My family will do this early Covid-19 test prior to the cruise for our own knowledge. No one wants to be denied access on the day of a cruise that you planned two (2) years ago.    

Installment #3: Pre-Cruise Haven Amenities & Services:

Strategy:

I want to have as many details completed and paid for pre-cruise as possible. When I step on the ship, I am in 100% vacation mode. I also want to make this cruise as much of a “All-Inclusive” experience as possible. Below are the actions I have and always do. Each item listed I emailed or called the pre-cruise Haven desk. On the excursions, I was able to do those online myself.

Done by the Pre-Cruise Haven Concierge:

1.      Specialty Restaurants: When in the Haven, you can book specialty restaurants 130 days prior to embarkation. Since the restaurants were not listed online for pre-booking since Covid-19 started on many ships, I sent an email to the pre-cruise Haven desk with my days, restaurants, and times.  They were on my online summery that day. I also got an email confirmation.

2.      Upgrade to Premium “Plus” Beverage Package: As with excursions, I was using FCC to upgrade my wife and I to the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  For those wondering, yes you can upgrade two (2) of four (4) guest in the same cabin to the “Plus” package.  You must go through some hoops, but I got it done.

3.      Suite Setup and Amenities:  Please be clear, we have a H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite which comes with some special and unique amenities.  We sent in our preferences for the three (3) bottles of spirits, bottled waters, mixers, soda’s, two extra Haven robes/slippers, two extra balcony lounge chairs, memory foam mattress toppers for two beds, CPAP extension cord/water, special pillow from menu and the list goes on. Each time was handled, and I got a confirmation email.

4.      Spa Massage: I wanted a couples spa massage on the last sea day. You could not reserve it online.  They put my time and date in my digital reservation and the on-ship Haven desk will handle it.

5.      Special Event: My daughter’s birthday will be on the Thursday of the cruise.  I wanted that in my reservation.

6.      Excursions: Most all my excursion I did online by myself.  The exception was using FCC to pay for excursions.  When you do that, you must talk to someone who can do that transaction. I learned, book excursions early and cancel early if need be.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, Sthrngary said:

Installment #2: Pre-Cruise Covid-19 Testing:

Self-Isolation Prior to the Cruise:

This is my wife and my second cruise during Covid-19 in 2021.  The first was late August 2021.  That cruise was originally on July31, 2021 and had to be cancelled due to my wife having “Breakthrough Covid-19”.  The lesson was to isolate three (3) weeks before your cruise.  Basically, use good business judgment.  We all must remember, if just one of our party goes to the port of Miami and shows a positive covid-19 test, no one goes on the cruise.

Home CVS Covid-19 Testing 3-Days Prior to Cruise:

The challenge is this cruise leaves the Saturday after Thanksgiving and we fly out the Friday after Thanksgiving. This testing is much more for our stress level than for NCL.  NCL. The question on the table is will NCL pay for your quarantining if the test is positive.  My family and I have “Cruise Travel Insurance” that does cover Covid-19, trip interruption and cancellation.  NCL would only pay what the insurance company does not.  My family will do this early Covid-19 test prior to the cruise for our own knowledge. No one wants to be denied access on the day of a cruise that you planned two (2) years ago.    

Installment #3: Pre-Cruise Haven Amenities & Services:

Strategy:

I want to have as many details completed and paid for pre-cruise as possible. When I step on the ship, I am in 100% vacation mode. I also want to make this cruise as much of a “All-Inclusive” experience as possible. Below are the actions I have and always do. Each item listed I emailed or called the pre-cruise Haven desk. On the excursions, I was able to do those online myself.

Done by the Pre-Cruise Haven Concierge:

1.      Specialty Restaurants: When in the Haven, you can book specialty restaurants 130 days prior to embarkation. Since the restaurants were not listed online for pre-booking since Covid-19 started on many ships, I sent an email to the pre-cruise Haven desk with my days, restaurants, and times.  They were on my online summery that day. I also got an email confirmation.

2.      Upgrade to Premium “Plus” Beverage Package: As with excursions, I was using FCC to upgrade my wife and I to the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  For those wondering, yes you can upgrade two (2) of four (4) guest in the same cabin to the “Plus” package.  You must go through some hoops, but I got it done.

3.      Suite Setup and Amenities:  Please be clear, we have a H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite which comes with some special and unique amenities.  We sent in our preferences for the three (3) bottles of spirits, bottled waters, mixers, soda’s, two extra Haven robes/slippers, two extra balcony lounge chairs, memory foam mattress toppers for two beds, CPAP extension cord/water, special pillow from menu and the list goes on. Each time was handled, and I got a confirmation email.

4.      Spa Massage: I wanted a couples spa massage on the last sea day. You could not reserve it online.  They put my time and date in my digital reservation and the on-ship Haven desk will handle it.

5.      Special Event: My daughter’s birthday will be on the Thursday of the cruise.  I wanted that in my reservation.

6.      Excursions: Most all my excursion I did online by myself.  The exception was using FCC to pay for excursions.  When you do that, you must talk to someone who can do that transaction. I learned, book excursions early and cancel early if need be.

Hello,

Can I please ask how you overcome re upgrading beverage package to "plus" for not everyone in your cabin, when onboard Getaway on its sailing 25 October, we had 2 cabins in Haven, we wanted to upgrade just the ladies in each cabin as the men would not utilise the upgrade at all. The Concierge tried but said they could not do it. 

18 minutes ago, kenzie said:

Hello,

Can I please ask how you overcome re upgrading beverage package to "plus" for not everyone in your cabin, when onboard Getaway on its sailing 25 October, we had 2 cabins in Haven, we wanted to upgrade just the ladies in each cabin as the men would not utilise the upgrade at all. The Concierge tried but said they could not do it. 

Yes, two ways.  First is to have your travel agent use FCC left over to apply to the cruise.  FCC can be used for certain things.  In my Case, I used them for excursions, Upgrade of Internet, New Internet for two devices and Premium Plus for my wife and I (yet four people in the room).  Key, it had to be done by my TA.

Second, months before my cruise, I reached out NCL.  An assistant to a VP contacted me.  He said, to let him know just before I went on the ship and he would arrange with the ship.  I was going on the Joy in November btw.  

The key in both cases is to have this pre-arranged before you go on the ship.  Then when you get there, they know you had asked for it.  

Also, and on this I am just guessing.  I am sorry to say many times, you ask a question to NCL and two folks give you different answers.  Right hand / Left hand.  I am looking for the email for that guy I spoke with some months ago.  Not sure I can find it.  If I do, I will post.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to write this very informative report! It is appreciated.  Where did you purchase your travel insurance from?  Can you share the specific name of the policy you bought?  We are sailing in the Haven on the Joy in July 2022 and I would like to have the extensive Covid coverage.  Thank you.

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

No problem.  My son and daughter are also first time Haven Guests.  My issue is they will be in the Haven Deluxe Owners Suite on their first time.  Where to you go from there.  For my wife and I, this is a once in a life time Suite.  Never in a million years did I ever think this would be possible. 

BTW, I lived in NC early on in my life.  We lived in Cary.  It was when Jimmy V won the National Championship.  A long time ago but quite a lot of fun.

Cruise well.

This is her first cruise where she is actually old enough to really enjoy it actually as well.  Her first cruise she was almost 3 years old and she doesn't remember much of any of it.  Growing up, I spent a lot of time cruising as my father was an engineer for some of the older cruise lines and later the port electrical engineer for the cruise port in Manhattan so I spent a lot of time cruising, especially in inside cabins at the bottom of the ship.  It was fun and a great experience, but I can see now that she won't ever (or my wife for that matter) cruise in anything less than a suite on any line.

NC is where I've called home now for about 25 years.  I currently live in the Winston Salem area, but have spent time both around Charlotte and Raleigh.  It's a great place to raise a family.

1 hour ago, SliderNc said:

NC is where I've called home now for about 25 years.  I currently live in the Winston Salem area, but have spent time both around Charlotte and Raleigh.  It's a great place to raise a family.

Does Bell Brothers Cafeteria still exist.  Was one of my favorite stops in WS.

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Does Bell Brothers Cafeteria still exist.  Was one of my favorite stops in WS.

Sadly, it closed down in 2010.  I know they tried to open again in Pfafftown, which an area north of downtown Winston Salem, in the Old Richmond Grill, which is still open, but based on my research I don't know if they ever did.  I never had eaten at either place though but had heard that there was some good southern food there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenzie said:

Hello,

Yours and @Sthrngary are two different situations.  His was that all 4 people were in 1 cabin and they upgraded 2 of them, and yours are 2 separate cabins.  With 2 separate cabins then everyone would have to be upgraded I believe.

7 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

Yours and @Sthrngary are two different situations.  His was that all 4 people were in 1 cabin and they upgraded 2 of them, and yours are 2 separate cabins.  With 2 separate cabins then everyone would have to be upgraded I believe.

Can you list the ladies in one cabin and the guys in the other and just couple up when you get on board? That way you can upgrade the ladies. 

• Like 1

Installment #5: "Family Cruise Vacation Journey Document"

Ok, this one you have to take with a "grain of salt".  Remember, "I Have A LOT Of Time On My Hands", lol.  If you choose to download this document, it is in a Microsoft Word Format.  You can alter or change it for your needs. I made it a "template" so other can use it. If your pages change, remember to auto-update the "Table of Contents". 

What is a "Journey Document".  It is a very long, very organized and very detail list of the entire vacation.  Soup to nuts.  I began writing this type of document years ago and have added to it over the years.  It is used as a back up, so it has copies of needed Barcodes, Licenses, Passports, and Covid-19 Vaccine Cards.  It has very specific details on Air, Hotel, Pre-cruise meals, Ground Transportation, Specialty Restaurants, Spa Treatments and Excisions. Each has date and times. 

Because I have a sense of Humor and I have travel with my family before, I also have "Family Rules".  You will love those.  I get asked all the questions two-weeks before the cruise and it gets me mad.  So I plan with this document so I can just send it to any family member when they start asking questions.  I am so crazy, it even has the menu's for the restaurants we have reservations in.

For anyone on the Joy, if you like this kind of thing, you will love this document.  Just part of the posting stream and I thought many of you would enjoy it, if only to make fun of me. 

Cruise well.

NCL_Joy_Family_Journey_Document_template.docx

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

Gary, 

I love your posts but I have to be honest.   The document reminds me of Clark Griswold reading the itinerary on the plane in European Vacation!  Really gave me a good laugh!

Jack,  you stay here!

YEP, I am just like Clark Griswold for sure.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Because I have a sense of Humor and I have travel with my family before, I also have "Family Rules".  You will love those.  I get asked all the questions two-weeks before the cruise and it gets me mad.  So I plan with this document so I can just send it to any family member when they start asking questions.  I am so crazy, it even has the menu's for the restaurants we have reservations in.

For anyone on the Joy, if you like this kind of thing, you will love this document.  Just part of the posting stream and I thought many of you would enjoy it, if only to make fun of me. 

Cruise well.

NCL_Joy_Family_Journey_Document_template.docx 4.16 MB · 69 downloads

I did enjoy your "Family Journey" doc and chuckled at your "do's and don'ts" for los ninos.

I'm on the Joy the week after you and my first time on the Joy. I went over the ship deck by deck to familiarize myself with the layout before boarding.  I like to plan ahead as much as possible also but not nearly as indepth as you.

The Horizon Lounge is new to me but unaware that it has a buffet. Your description sounded like there is a charge. Is that correct? 

Room service - We usually only order breakfast from room service and assumed the food came from the Haven restaurant. How do I verify that it does? What items would come from the main kitchen?

Thank you for posting this and I hope you have a wonderful cruise & a wonderful time in your Owners Suite.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

The Horizon Lounge is new to me but unaware that it has a buffet. Your description sounded like there is a charge. Is that correct? 

The Horizon Lounge is complementary to Haven Guests.  This area is one that I am very excited about.  We are in the DOS just above it so easy to grab a quick snack.  

15 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Room service - We usually only order breakfast from room service and assumed the food came from the Haven restaurant. How do I verify that it does? What items would come from the main kitchen?

Just tell your butler on day one.  When delivering food, when and if possible, only from the Haven Restaurant.  Get a paper menu so when you order, it is easy.  I do this because the regular room service is well, kind of average to below average.  

17 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Thank you for posting this and I hope you have a wonderful cruise & a wonderful time in your Owners Suite.

Thank you.  So pumped about it.  I am still afraid my family won't get this is a very special suite that will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN in my life time.  All the stars were in the right place.  We got lucky.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Installment #5: "Family Cruise Vacation Journey Document"

Ok, this one you have to take with a "grain of salt".  Remember, "I Have A LOT Of Time On My Hands", lol.  If you choose to download this document, it is in a Microsoft Word Format.  You can alter or change it for your needs. I made it a "template" so other can use it. If your pages change, remember to auto-update the "Table of Contents". 

What is a "Journey Document".  It is a very long, very organized and very detail list of the entire vacation.  Soup to nuts.  I began writing this type of document years ago and have added to it over the years.  It is used as a back up, so it has copies of needed Barcodes, Licenses, Passports, and Covid-19 Vaccine Cards.  It has very specific details on Air, Hotel, Pre-cruise meals, Ground Transportation, Specialty Restaurants, Spa Treatments and Excisions. Each has date and times. 

Cruise well.

NCL_Joy_Family_Journey_Document_template.docx 4.16 MB · 76 downloads

Wow, I scanned over some of this. It's alot. I may have to come back to this in November when I have a family cruise with kids and grandkids and adjust this document to fit. 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The Horizon Lounge is complementary to Haven Guests.  This area is one that I am very excited about.  We are in the DOS just above it so easy to grab a quick snack.  

Just tell your butler on day one.  When delivering food, when and if possible, only from the Haven Restaurant.  Get a paper menu so when you order, it is easy.  I do this because the regular room service is well, kind of average to below average.  

Thank you.  So pumped about it.  I am still afraid my family won't get this is a very special suite that will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN in my life time.  All the stars were in the right place.  We got lucky.

Cruise well.

Enjoy your cruise. Look forward to hearing all about it.

• Thanks 1