Luggage Direct in FLL

db777

Have any of  you that have recently disembarked at FLL been able to use Luggage Direct for bag delivery to the airport? When I go to the Holland "Know before you go" they provide a link that took me to a site that stated:

"2. Luggage Direct (onboard airline check-in) - While onboard your cruise, you will be able to sign up in your stateroom if the service is being offered. Holland America will send an enrollment form to your cabin."

We always take  advantage of this service and are hoping it will be available when we get back from our cruise in a couple of weeks...  Thank you 

Am also interested in anyone who has used this service.  Do you need to pick up your bags in the "warehouse" upon disembarkation or are the bags automatically sent to your home?  This is my question since I have an early departure from Fort Lauderdale airport (11:30).  Although I can get off the ship early, I need to know if I need to take the time to bring my luggage somewhere upon disembarkation.

Also, has anyone has a problem where their baggage has not made it to the ship on time?

Would love to use this service, but am anxious about making our luggage to the ship.  

From Alabama to Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks so much!

"Luggage Direct offers you the opportunity to receive your airline boarding passes and check your luggage in to your flight while still onboard your Holland America Line ship".

So they take the bags from your cabin, give you your Boarding pass, and the next time you see your bags is at your final destination airport baggage claim. - I used this just recently on our Seattle based Alaskan cruise and it was very nice (and in Seattle the service was free - Thank You Seattle). 

For our upcoming FLL December HAL Panama Canal cruise our return flight does not leave till 3:30 PM so we will be using the Luggage Direct to get rid of our checked baggage so we can have an unencumbered lunch without having to drag 3 big bags around. I think the rate is like $20 per person - or something like that - or in that range.

They are other various services where they will pick-up at your house and deliver to your cabin, or pick-up at your Cabin and deliver to your house....for a further nominal consideration of course. 

5 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I think the rate is like $20 per person - or something like that - or in that range.

I think pre-pandemic it was $20 or $25 per person plus any baggage fees. It is worth every penny! 

• Like 1

The one thing I found in Seattle, both times we used it, is that while HAL issues a boarding pass, the TSA and authorities at the SeaTac airport will NOT accept the boarding pass issued by HAL.  You HAVE to check in yourself, in addition to HAL's checking you in, so last time in Sept. in Seattle, I went to the computer onboard the ship and checked in to get a boarding pass (the old fashioned way, paper) early the morning of disembarkation.  Sure enough, I would have had to check in myself as I did, per the TSA agent.  They have a person/rep standing at the beginning of the TSA line to go through screening who looks at the boarding pass to see if it is actually one the passenger checked in for him/herself.  Also, I've only heard of its being used for disembarking passengers, not for luggage from home to the ship.  We've used it 2-3 times and love it.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

The one thing I found in Seattle, both times we used it, is that while HAL issues a boarding pass, the TSA and authorities at the SeaTac airport will NOT accept the boarding pass issued by HAL.

That is odd. We used the HAL generated luggage direct boarding pass in my mid September Nieuw Amsterdam Alaskan cruise that terminated in Seattle and it worked just fine. We used the TSA pre-check and sailed right through without a hitch. The person standing at the TSA check line looked at our Boarding passed and pointed us to the TSA Pre-Check line and we were on our way.

And our luggage showed up with all the other luggage for that flight to DFW.

Yes - that free service in Seattle is only for checked luggage for disembarking passengers. But that same company (it is Luggage Direct that actually provides the service - funded by the fine folks in Seattle - Thank You) can provide the home to cabin service at various ports (I have no personal knowledge of the service - nor at which ports it is provided for).

Sooo - our experience was different than yours.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We love Luggage Direct but have only used it on our return flight.  Has anyone used it both ways?  We'd like to try that as we'll be flying into FLL also.  

Not aware that it works going to Ft Lauderdale. Only leaving the ship.

28 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

That is odd. We used the HAL generated luggage direct boarding pass in my mid September Nieuw Amsterdam Alaskan cruise that terminated in Seattle and it worked just fine. We used the TSA pre-check and sailed right through without a hitch. The person standing at the TSA check line looked at our Boarding passed and pointed us to the TSA Pre-Check line and we were on our way.

And our luggage showed up with all the other luggage for that flight to DFW.

Yes - that free service in Seattle is only for checked luggage for disembarking passengers. But that same company (it is Luggage Direct that actually provides the service - funded by the fine folks in Seattle - Thank You) can provide the home to cabin service at various ports (I have no personal knowledge of the service - nor at which ports it is provided for).

Sooo - our experience was different than yours.

Seattle doesn't have Luggage Direct...it has a different program run by the port. Better, because its free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Seattle doesn't have Luggage Direct...it has a different program run by the port. Better, because its free.

Yes - I know it is named differently - but if you dig deeper - it is actually run by Luggage Direct. it is just funded by the fine Seattle Business folks who are looking for people to spend the day touring/spending in Seattle. 

Sorry for the name confusion.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Like 1

Does anyone know the earliest flight time at FLL where you can use luggage direct?  I thought it was 11:30. My airline just changed my flight departure time from 11:38 to 11:08 and I am expecting I just lost the ability to use this program.

Has anyone used the service if they have a day in port book-ending the cruise (day before and after)?  I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't an issue when going to the port a day early, but haven't found anything in regards to flying home the day after a cruise.

6 hours ago, Euby said:

Has anyone used the service if they have a day in port book-ending the cruise (day before and after)?  I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't an issue when going to the port a day early, but haven't found anything in regards to flying home the day after a cruise.

We used luggage forward in San Diego last year on March 7th to begin a 5 week cruise with an added day in SD.

We were having breakfast when we got a call from the driver. He was at the port but was not allowed to drop off our bags. Security would not let him in. He waited til we got there and security checked us through. Maybe because it was the start to Covid? We lasted 1 week onboard Oosterdam before getting kicked off.

Can we wait to sign up for it onboard, or do we need to do something before hand? We're out of FLL.  Also, I did not know about the flight time cut off.  Our flight is 11:40.  Hope they don't change that to earlier. It seems like once a week we get a change in flight plans.  

2 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Can we wait to sign up for it onboard, or do we need to do something before hand? We're out of FLL.  Also, I did not know about the flight time cut off.  Our flight is 11:40.  Hope they don't change that to earlier. It seems like once a week we get a change in flight plans.  

Our flight was changed also with an 11:40 departure. We are waiting til onboard to book the luggage home. 

10 hours ago, Euby said:

Our cruise is Dec 12th out of Fort Lauderdale. We are flying in and staying at a hotel the night before. 

My husband is currently in a wheelchair, so Luggage Forward works for us. I called this morning to book. They will pick our luggage up on Dec 1st at our home, and luggage will hopefully be in our cabin when we board. I know some folks feel they can't part with their bags for 12 days, but it's fine for us. 

Bottom line: 2 bags 50 pounds each from doorstep to cabin is $248

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RSWBADGER said:

No luggage direct program on the current Eurodam cruise returning to Fort Lauderdale on Nov 24th.

Guest services are not sure when it will resume.

Oh - this is bad - (Dec 5-15 Eurodam Cruise) We do not have a flight until like 4 PM and a least 3 checked bags (Maybe 4 at the current packing rate). We were really counting on getting rid of the bags for the day and going to a nice restaurant for a leisurely pre-flight Florida lunch..

Something about the Best-Laid-Plans is running through my head...

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Has anyone tried ordering it online pre-cruise?

Not available (Or I could not find it - Just checked for my Dec 5 Eurodam Panama Cruise).

Have never seen it - but then previously I was never looking to use it -  With my much later flight - this time I am looking.