How much to tip at Maya Chan?

my kids mama

10 hours ago, my kids mama said:

It's our first time stopping at Costa Maya.  I have reservations for the 2 of us at Maya Chan.  I know the day is all inclusive, but what is customary to tip?  Who do we tip, and how much?  Thanks in advance. 

My first time is coming up in January. There will be 11 of us and we're very excited as the reviews are tremendous.

My understanding is that there's a "tip jar" and that tips are split amongst the people working there.

I'm not sure about how much but we'll figure it out.

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

My first time is coming up in January. There will be 11 of us and we're very excited as the reviews are tremendous.

My understanding is that there's a "tip jar" and that tips are split amongst the people working there.

I'm not sure about how much but we'll figure it out.

Thanks.  I wonder if $20 for the 2 of us is considered a decent tip???

8 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

Thanks.  I wonder if $20 for the 2 of us is considered a decent tip???

I think that's probably fine. 

We are 9 adults and 2 kids and I was thinking $100 from all of us. 

I'm going to wait and see how awesome they treat us and then decide. 

As mentioned, there will be what they call a "Love Box" by the exit on your way out and that's when/where you would give any tips.  They do indeed pool the tips amongst the whole staff, hence the box vs handing out individual ones.  Exception would be if you chose to get a massage there.

Heading back for our 4th trip in two weeks, food and service is always excellent.  We could care less about the seagrass/water conditions or weather and will always go, but appreciate they do offer full refunds the day of if conditions are less than optimal.  

My wife and I personally tip $25-30 for the two of us but I know they will be appreciative of whatever you choose to give.  Enjoy your day there, it's a great time!

On 12/1/2021 at 5:50 AM, iahawkfan21 said:

As mentioned, there will be what they call a "Love Box" by the exit on your way out and that's when/where you would give any tips.  They do indeed pool the tips amongst the whole staff, hence the box vs handing out individual ones.  Exception would be if you chose to get a massage there.

Heading back for our 4th trip in two weeks, food and service is always excellent.  We could care less about the seagrass/water conditions or weather and will always go, but appreciate they do offer full refunds the day of if conditions are less than optimal.  

My wife and I personally tip $25-30 for the two of us but I know they will be appreciative of whatever you choose to give.  Enjoy your day there, it's a great time!

Thank you for your input.  I have worked in the service industry, so I understand tips.  Just never sure what is appropriate in different areas.  That is exactly why I ask. I appreciate you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cynt said:

Anyone been this month? How's the seagrass? I just booked. I'm waiting on my link to pay. It's our first time there. We hope it's a great beach day!

I'll be there January 19th and I'm resigned to the fact that the beach and water will not be ideal.

With that being said, I believe the abundance of reviews that regardless of the seagrass, we will have a great time because of the food and service. I've already experienced great customer service from the owner regarding my aunt and uncle who need a little more assistance getting there.

I'm going to West Bay Beach in Roatan 2 days earlier to have the "beautiful" beach day.

I'm confident that Maya Chan will deliver on a great day for my group of 11 and can't wait for it.

32 days till my sailing on Joy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you asking about seagrass or sargassum?

Both.

We will be there next week!!!! I'm trying to set the expectations for my group. It's our last port day so we're just looking for rest, relaxation, good food and drinks. 

3 minutes ago, cynt said:

Both.

We will be there next week!!!! I'm trying to set the expectations for my group. It's our last port day so we're just looking for rest, relaxation, good food and drinks. 

Seagrass is always there, it is rooted. As the website states it is illegal to remove it from the water- not sure if there is a more active growing season. 

Sargassum is seasonal and floats in with the currents, decomposes and causes the smell. maya Chan does its best to remove it but sometimes it is overwhelming. They will give you an update on current situation at pick-up. This tends to be a lower risk time and certainly east coast of Cozumel (faces same way) and the beaches in Mahahual have appeared clear recently.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, cynt said:

we're just looking for rest, relaxation, good food and drinks. 

You will get that, no matter what the sargassum situation is 🙂. We have had good and bad sargassum days in the past, but we have never thought about not returning to Maya Chan.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

We were there on Dec 9th.  The seagrass (the washed up on shore kind that most everyone is thinking of) was barely an inconvenience.  Firstly, it was like...grass.  Not like the sargassum/seaweed you have probably seen piled up on beaches.  Staff was dealing with it constantly, and they really did not need to.

The water is not by any means the crystal clear blue that I usually expect when arriving to a place in the Caribbean. It was murky.  It still felt like water, and we got wet in it.  The beach itself is shallow, so my wife and I decided to wade out into the deeper water, where you can see that it gets a little clearer.  At about 30 feet out, I almost lost my water shoes.  This is where it stops being sandy and turns into...muck.  No worries, it feels funny, but we kept going, this time with her in a floaty, and me towing her out.  A little further out, the muck felt like it was coming halfway up my shin.  No worries, I was on a mission.  Then the wind shifted, and the methane started to hit the nose.  At this point, I decided that I was not going to stir that up any more, and hopped into my own floaty chair.  We let the tide carry us back to shore, and then showered off and changed back into dry loungewear.

Super day.  In fact, it was easily the best thing we have ever done on vacation.  Ever.  The staff were, as advertised, brilliant.  The cochinita pibil recommended by Leonardo was so good that I was almost embarrassed about the pork that I make and serve to my own family.  Drinks were fantastic, vastly superior to those we had on board.  Not even close, I mean. $40 for an hour massage?  Get out.  I should have had two.

We tipped $60 for the two of us, and I feel like we should have done more.  I *cried* three times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, Don Kehote said:

We were there on Dec 9th.  The seagrass (the washed up on shore kind that most everyone is thinking of) was barely an inconvenience.  Firstly, it was like...grass.  Not like the sargassum/seaweed you have probably seen piled up on beaches.  Staff was dealing with it constantly, and they really did not need to.

The water is not by any means the crystal clear blue that I usually expect when arriving to a place in the Caribbean. It was murky.  It still felt like water, and we got wet in it.  The beach itself is shallow, so my wife and I decided to wade out into the deeper water, where you can see that it gets a little clearer.  At about 30 feet out, I almost lost my water shoes.  This is where it stops being sandy and turns into...muck.  No worries, it feels funny, but we kept going, this time with her in a floaty, and me towing her out.  A little further out, the muck felt like it was coming halfway up my shin.  No worries, I was on a mission.  Then the wind shifted, and the methane started to hit the nose.  At this point, I decided that I was not going to stir that up any more, and hopped into my own floaty chair.  We let the tide carry us back to shore, and then showered off and changed back into dry loungewear.

Super day.  In fact, it was easily the best thing we have ever done on vacation.  Ever.  The staff were, as advertised, brilliant.  The cochinita pibil recommended by Leonardo was so good that I was almost embarrassed about the pork that I make and serve to my own family.  Drinks were fantastic, vastly superior to those we had on board.  Not even close, I mean. $40 for an hour massage?  Get out.  I should have had two.

We tipped $60 for the two of us, and I feel like we should have done more.  I *cried* three times.

Thanks so much for posting and I'm very happy to hear that the experience was great!

We are sailing on the ncl Joy January 15th and will be at Maya Chan on the 19th.

There's 11 of us and I sold everyone on this excursion so, if it's not good, I've had it. Lmao!!!!!

Anyway, 30 days to my sailing and 34 until Maya Chan.