Getting off the ship without an excursion planned.

smooz60ie

Each island has their own regulations for cruise line passengers.  I would check current "Live From" threads for your ship and itinerary on your cruise line forum realizing that each country's regulations can change at any time.  I expect your ship will not inform passengers until they are onboard.

For example, I know from reading the Princess forum that their first post-covid stop in Dominica last week allowed only ship sponsored excursions.  Everyone else was allowed to disembark and 'shop' only at the port which, in this case, was the industrial port due to the size of the ship.

15 hours ago, smooz60ie said:

My husband and I have an Eastern Caribbean cruise coming up in a few weeks.  Will we be able to visit a beach or tour the island without a planned excursion? Or is this not advised? 

You don't mention which cruise line you are sailing on but here is the latest (posted today) information from Princess.  Since the disembarkation and excursion rules are set by each island/country this should hold across cruise lines as of today.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

The ability for fully vaccinated guests to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the governments of the ports we visit, based on their specific COVID-19 protocols and requirements. These are subject to change. All ports allow fully vaccinated guests to go ashore with Princess shore excursions. Some ports may also allow tours sold by port-authorized third-party operators or independent tours and exploration. Please be aware that in select ports you may be required to take a shore excursion provided by Princess to go ashore.

We recommend that you always carry your proof of vaccination and your negative COVID-19 test results from embarkation when going ashore.

Currently, only Princess shore excursions are permitted in:

• Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts
  • Castries, St. Lucia

At this time, fully vaccinated guests can explore other destinations on their own or on independent third-party tours. This is subject to change at any time.

Since you are talking a few weeks in the future it is very possible that the rules will change.  We were recently in Barbados and also cruised for 2 weeks in the Caribbean (out of Barbados) and saw rules changing just in the course of our cruise.  Folks need to understand that traveling and cruising in this COVID world means being flexible with plans and accepting of lots of various restrictions.  

While there are many negatives impacting today's travel there are also some amazing positives.  Being on ships that are only at a small percentage of capacity equates usually means fewer lines, less crowding, and better service.  

Hank

Last week you did not need a ship excursion on HAL for Nassau, Puerto Plata or San Juan. Those were the only ports we visited. But that can change as others have said.

Edited by Sea42
Poor reading skills on my part