Doing art on a cruise

sciencewonk

My wife is an artist and wants to do paintings and sketches while on our cruise.  We have a Neptune Suite, so she's already claimed the desk against the veranda window.  Does anyone know if there are art supplies (paints, etc) that are not permitted on the ship?  Thanks.

What media does she use? I’ve taken my watercolors on most cruises and nothing has been said. Note that the paints are poured on the palette already. Years ago someone posted about getting stopped by TSA for having small watercolor tubes in their check on. They thought they were bullets on the security X-ray.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

What media does she use? I’ve taken my watercolors on most cruises and nothing has been said. Note that the paints are poured on the palette already. Years ago someone posted about getting stopped by TSA for having small watercolor tubes in their check on. They thought they were bullets on the security X-ray.

Thank you.  My wife says she plans on using watercolors.  She's also had the TSA issue with pastel tubes, which look like bullets on x-ray.

Years ago I watched a series of shows.  It was this guy who sailed on Holland America.  He travelled with his easel and paints and at the various ports he would get off the ship and paint scenery in the area.  Many had the Holland America ship in the background of the painting.  For the life of me I can't think of his name or the TV series I saw it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saxon6732 said:

Years ago I watched a series of shows.  It was this guy who sailed on Holland America.  He travelled with his easel and paints and at the various ports he would get off the ship and paint scenery in the area.  Many had the Holland America ship in the background of the painting.  For the life of me I can't think of his name or the TV series I saw it on.

Would that have been watercolors Gary Spetz? He had a few programs, including one on Alaska on HAL.  Painting Wild Places was precursor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Would that have been watercolors Gary Spetz? He had a few programs, including one on Alaska on HAL.  Painting Wild Places was precursor.

Do you know if some channel shows reruns of that show? Or if it is on demand somewhere, or on YouTube?

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Do you know if some channel shows reruns of that show? Or if it is on demand somewhere, or on YouTube?

I haven’t seen either show on TV in maybe 9-10 years. If it helps, they were carried on PBS Create TV, I believe out of Minnesota. My hubby gave me a couple of the episodes as a gift. I still receive email updates on his workshops ( some of which have been onboard HAL, prior to the pause).  Gary’s website sells some of the series here: https://spetz.teachable.com

The second series was about finding subject matter to paint, and we suspect much of it was produced using Photoshop filters and not watercolor paint. We might be wrong. We enjoyed the painting episodes more, and watching his “batik” method of using mask extensively.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I haven’t seen either show on TV in maybe 9-10 years. If it helps, they were carried on PBS Create TV, I believe out of Minnesota. My hubby gave me a couple of the episodes as a gift. I still receive email updates on his workshops ( some of which have been onboard HAL, prior to the pause).  Gary’s website sells some of the series here: https://spetz.teachable.com

The second series was about finding subject matter to paint, and we suspect much of it was produced using Photoshop filters and not watercolor paint. We might be wrong. We enjoyed the painting episodes more, and watching his “batik” method of using mask extensively.

DW is an elementary art teacher. Finding subjects for watercolors is important to her. (Her other art projects now are making quilts.)

• Like 1