Crystal port in Basel to BSL

Orator

Taking a Rhine River cruise on Crystal in May. Notice that there are no flights before 10:55 am which is too early to get a flight. Thinking of staying in the airport area (BSL) and get a fight on the 22nd. Where would you stay and how would you get there from the port?

Noticed that there is an 11:55 am from BSL to MIA. Is it too early to make without stress? 

1 minute ago, Coral said:

You may want to call Crystal and see what times they recommend. They can tell you if it is reasonable or not.

Thanks for your response I sent my Crystal cruise planner an email more than a week ago and still waiting for a response. Thought I'd post and hope that some who have experience can share. 

5 minutes ago, Orator said:

Thanks for your response I sent my Crystal cruise planner an email more than a week ago and still waiting for a response. Thought I'd post and hope that some who have experience can share. 

I had an early flight out of Vienna with Crystal but we had an overnight. I am guessing that someone more familiar with Basel can answer this (regardless of lines). I think you are planning on docking at 6 am. My guess is you can get off the ship right away.

Stop by the front desk onboard and let them know you need an early taxi and they will have one ready and waiting for you to get you to the airport on disembarkation day.  BUT, consider that Basel Switzerland has a lot of interesting and fun things to do.  Maybe you will want to spend a night or two if you can.  If you. are interested buying a Rolex watch you can save 1 - 3% by buying it in Switzerland.

38 minutes ago, Orator said:

I believe that Crystal includes transportation to the airport for all River cruises. 

They will provide transportation to Basel airport, not Zurich - I tried to get transportation to Zurich. I looked into this a few years ago. Ours was via a very nice bus. Several had extra OBC and did have a private car to the airport arranged through Crystal. I was fine with the bus.

Though - if you happen to be in the area and have extra time, I hear Basel is beautiful! Maybe worth spending another night or two there.

You will LOVE Crystal.

Edited by Coral

You can certainly make an 11am flight from BSL - it is close and is a "small" airport

I would probably spend an extra day if possible and enjoy Basel.  Very walkable and some fun things to see.  We stayed at Hotel Spalentor and liked it.  

Secon the "love Crystal" thoughts from Coral.  It really is superb

21 hours ago, Orator said:

Taking a Rhine River cruise on Crystal in May. Notice that there are no flights before 10:55 am which is too early to get a flight. Thinking of staying in the airport area (BSL) and get a fight on the 22nd. Where would you stay and how would you get there from the port?

Noticed that there is an 11:55 am from BSL to MIA. Is it too early to make without stress? 

there is also a non stop ZRH-MIA on Swiss - we took that a few years ago and it was nice.  That would require an overnight in BSL or ZRH and a short train ride to ZRH.