Ship WiFi and Vroom….is there a difference?

GoldenZoo

4 minutes ago, GoldenZoo said:

Royal says that we can use the app while on board to book entertainment, etc.  Does this mean we need to purchase Vroom?  Or is there free WiFi only for onboard use?  

The app will work to book entertainment and look at deck plans, menus, etc.  If you want to 'surf' the web, message people via FB, WhatsApp etc, you need to purchase a Voom (no 'r') package. If you want to post photos and videos to social media, stream videos via youtube etc, you want to get a Surf & Stream Voom package.  

Edited by rockmom

2 minutes ago, GoldenZoo said:

I unplug from the world while on a cruise but would love to be able to text with my traveling companions.  Will I be able to do that without purchasing Voom?  In the old days we brought walk-in talkies.

Someone who is currently sailing can probably answer that--I think there's a messaging portion to the app on some ships, for a lower cost than buying the full Wifi package.  

5 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Someone who is currently sailing can probably answer that--I think there's a messaging portion to the app on some ships, for a lower cost than buying the full Wifi package.  

There is "app to app" messaging for $1.99 each person per day.  We use post-it notes on the doors!

Fain (or Bayley?) mentioned removing that fee at some point... but the propellers of time turn slowly.

12 hours ago, GoldenZoo said:

In the old days we brought walk-in talkies.

Those will likely only work for short distances on the ship. If you are on the right ship and everyone has an Apple device, your iMessage texts may get through without buying a Voom package.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, hollon said:

If I get internet for my phone for 1 device, can I bring my laptop and log off my phone and onto my laptop, OR do I need to buy the pkg. with 2 devices?

That's what I do:  Use one, log off, log onto the other, use it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  🙂 

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

That's what I do:  Use one, log off, log onto the other, use it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  🙂 

oh good, because my daughter applied for a job and they are sending her questions to follow up and it would be hard to answer on a phone. So, that's good to know.