What’s going on with Rome?

Twitchly

Has anyone been to Rome with Viking lately? We’re taking the Antiquities & Holy Land cruise in mid-January, which starts in Rome. After a long wait, we were finally able to book excursions in Rome this week — but only 3 are offered. Nothing in Vatican City. No Sistine Chapel. Just an included “panoramic” bus tour and a couple ($200) mixed tours of mostly ancient sites. 

When I talked with a Viking staff person a couple of weeks ago about another issue, she said Rome had “some travel challenges” or words to that effect.

Anyone have experience with traveling in Rome with Viking lately? Were you able to get into the Sistine chapel or the Vatican? This is our first visit and we’re really hoping to see these. 

34 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Has anyone been to Rome with Viking lately? We’re taking the Antiquities & Holy Land cruise in mid-January, which starts in Rome. After a long wait, we were finally able to book excursions in Rome this week — but only 3 are offered. Nothing in Vatican City. No Sistine Chapel. Just an included “panoramic” bus tour and a couple ($200) mixed tours of mostly ancient sites. 

When I talked with a Viking staff person a couple of weeks ago about another issue, she said Rome had “some travel challenges” or words to that effect.

Anyone have experience with traveling in Rome with Viking lately? Were you able to get into the Sistine chapel or the Vatican? This is our first visit and we’re really hoping to see these. 

Are you in Rome on a Sunday?  We were on the Mediterranean Odyssey in 2018 and all excursions involving the Vatican were closed.  

We were is Rome a few weeks ago.  Viking’s hands are tied in that in Italy, there was a bubble on tours…..Rome was the tightest bubble, other cities not so tight but we did not get the same sort of freedom we got in Greece, France or Spain.

If you really want to see these sights, you might have to make an additional trip, but I think our tour guide in Rome told us that Vatican City is closed to tourists.

If it turns out you are able to take a tour on your own and you have a day I very much recommend Rome Cabs.  We have used them for the Vatican as well as other Rome sites plus transport to and from Civitivecchia. Excellent service.  They would know for sure what is open to tourists and what is not. 

• Like 4

We were in Rome from November 2-6 on an independent pre-trip prior to meeting our ship (another line) in Marseilles. There were no restrictions for tourists anywhere including the Vatican. Full vaccination and masks are required before entering the public sites including the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill and the Vatican. 

31 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

If it turns out you are able to take a tour on your own and you have a day I very much recommend Rome Cabs.  We have used them for the Vatican as well as other Rome sites plus transport to and from Civitivecchia. Excellent service.  They would know for sure what is open to tourists and what is not. 

Thanks. I think I’ll call Viking and see what the bubble situation is. I’m not sure how helpful they’ll be on that score, but I’m also not sure who else to ask. It sounds like Rome is putting bigger restrictions on cruisers than land tourists. 

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Thanks. I think I’ll call Viking and see what the bubble situation is. I’m not sure how helpful they’ll be on that score, but I’m also not sure who else to ask. It sounds like Rome is putting bigger restrictions on cruisers than land tourists. 

This is my understanding.  

10 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We went on the “Sistine Chapel and Vatican City” excursion on October 23rd. We were mostly w/Viking folks. We were able to shop for about a half hour alone at St. Peter’s Square.  As we left on the bus, we drove by the Coliseum, Circus Maximus, the temple, etc. It’s a pretty long tour (10 hrs) and ours was cut a little short (maybe 2 hrs) without explanation.  

It was a spectacular tour!

Rome is open to tourists traveling independently. If you are part of a Viking "excursion" you must remain in your bubble. I think there is a serious delay in getting those excursions together because things change so quickly (Christmas Markets being a perfect example). We go in on our own 8 days before we sail, so we are free to wander Rome as much as we like, as well as travel by train to other cities within Italy (so long as we show our proof of vaccination and have completed the appropriate locator forms). I'm not sure what Viking is doing with regard to people who book their extensions (as opposed to excursions), how much freedom they are given in the city. The Vatican and museums (including the Sistine Chapel) are open, with a reservation and with proof of vaccination, albeit with much greatly limited hours and capacity.  We are getting ready to book our advance tickets for both the Vatican Museum and Borghese Gallery as soon as our window opens. Now, that said, we have all the freedom in the world so long as we wear our masks, social distance, and are prepared to show proof of vaccination to enter any museum or restaurant to dine indoors (which I'm thinking in February will probably be a must), BUT we must get a PCR test in Rome within 72 hours of joining Viking for our cruise. (and of course we paid all the extra fees to go in earlier, etc.) 

16 hours ago, Cher98 said:

We went on the “Sistine Chapel and Vatican City” excursion on October 23rd. We were mostly w/Viking folks. We were able to shop for about a half hour alone at St. Peter’s Square.  As we left on the bus, we drove by the Coliseum, Circus Maximus, the temple, etc. It’s a pretty long tour (10 hrs) and ours was cut a little short (maybe 2 hrs) without explanation.  

That’s exactly the excursion we want! So far, Viking isn’t offering it for our cruise. Weird. 

We stayed in Rome at a Viking post cruise hotel for 4 days after our Nov 1 Barcelona to Rome cruise on the sea. Took the Viking bus to the hotel and checked in. 

I had arranged private tours for the colosseum, walking tour of Rome and Vatican Museums with Sistine Chapel.  Had no problems at all.  Just have to show vaccine cards.  Walked around Rome, took Ubers, ate at restaurants, etc. Viking didn't include any tours with their post cruise hotel.

Are you staying in a Viking pre cruise hotel in Rome or trying to get a Viking tour the day the ship sails? 

9 hours ago, bbtondo said:

We stayed in Rome at a Viking post cruise hotel for 4 days after our Nov 1 Barcelona to Rome cruise on the sea. Took the Viking bus to the hotel and checked in. 

I had arranged private tours for the colosseum, walking tour of Rome and Vatican Museums with Sistine Chapel.  Had no problems at all.  Just have to show vaccine cards.  Walked around Rome, took Ubers, ate at restaurants, etc. Viking didn't include any tours with their post cruise hotel.

Are you staying in a Viking pre cruise hotel in Rome or trying to get a Viking tour the day the ship sails? 

Before the cruise, we’re doing Viking’s extension in Tuscany. That ends with us being taken to the ship and entering the bubble. 

7 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Before the cruise, we’re doing Viking’s extension in Tuscany. That ends with us being taken to the ship and entering the bubble. 

So you're looking to tour Rome on your way to the ship in a viking bus from Tuscany ?

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

So you're looking to tour Rome on your way to the ship in a viking bus from Tuscany ?

I don’t think that’s being offered, though it would be lovely. After Tuscany, Viking takes us to the ship where we embark, spend the night, then have a full day in Rome before leaving for Naples. During that full day in Rome, Viking is offering only 3 excursions. 

We embark in Rome on Dec 29th.  We then sail to Livorno for 2 days.  Very limited shore excursions.  We have already done the included Pisa one, but have booked again just so we can get off the ship.  2 other options - long days in Florence - showing as Sold Out.  We have been to Florence many times.  In the past we have just wandered around in Livorno - in the summer getting a local bus to a lovely beach town.  I guess this time we stay onboard until we move on to France and Spain.

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I don’t think that’s being offered, though it would be lovely. After Tuscany, Viking takes us to the ship where we embark, spend the night, then have a full day in Rome before leaving for Naples. During that full day in Rome, Viking is offering only 3 excursions. 

OK. Now I understand.  We had a decision to make on our cruise bcn to Rome. Since we have never been to Rome we decided on the post cruise extension to Rome instead of the other choices,.

I think if you wanted to see Rome you should have decided do the precruise in Rome.

I realized ya just can't ee everything.  Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

OK. Now I understand.  We had a decision to make on our cruise bcn to Rome. Since we have never been to Rome we decided on the post cruise extension to Rome instead of the other choices,.

I think if you wanted to see Rome you should have decided do the precruise in Rome.

I realized ya just can't ee everything.  Enjoy your cruise!

I guess I never imagined Viking would offer only 3 excursions in Rome, and that the Sistine Chapel/Vatican wouldn’t be among them. 

Though with Israel shutting down again, I’ll just be thrilled if this cruise happens at all. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:17 PM, Twitchly said:

I guess I never imagined Viking would offer only 3 excursions in Rome, and that the Sistine Chapel/Vatican wouldn’t be among them. 

Though with Israel shutting down again, I’ll just be thrilled if this cruise happens at all. 

I'm sorry this is happening to you.  I understand your frustration.  On my Iconic Med cruise Nov 1st my first flight was cancelled as we were boarding, my checked luggage has been forever lost on AA, etc.  I thought that all the craziness would be over before the cruise as I got all my paperwork in order, etc.  Unfortunately, Covid and other factors affected my cruise in a negative way, although we did enjoy some of it.  I'm a pretty strong person, but I admit it all "got to me".

I wish you a wonderful cruise and many positive thoughts!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, Cher98 said:

Drove by the Coliseum and the Circus Maximus and apparently did not stop.  Besides the Vatican, where did you stop.  Do I have it right?  Doesn't sound like a great tour to me.

DON

On 12/2/2021 at 12:47 AM, donaldsc said:

Drove by the Coliseum and the Circus Maximus and apparently did not stop.  Besides the Vatican, where did you stop.  Do I have it right?  Doesn't sound like a great tour to me.

DON

No Don, it was fabulous!  I was trying to convey that it was not perfect due to Covid protocols, including our excursion being cut short by two hours,  but I was still so happy we went. Below is the description of the excursion. We didn’t stop to see the monuments. If that would be unsatisfactory to you or if you cannot roll w/the punches, you shouldn’t travel now. 

9D76B107-8F50-4A51-BD21-C9BAA32A7CD2.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cher98 said:

No Don, it was fabulous!  I was trying to convey that it was not perfect due to Covid protocols, including our excursion being cut short by two hours,  but I was still so happy we went. Below is the description of the excursion. We didn’t stop to see the monuments. If that would be unsatisfactory to you or if you cannot roll w/the punches, you shouldn’t travel now. 

9D76B107-8F50-4A51-BD21-C9BAA32A7CD2.jpeg

That’s the excursion we were hoping to see! So strange that they dropped it.