Victoria excursions?

D & S

Trying to decide between two different excursions -  Royal -    O'Canada Victoria highlights  2 1/2 hr bus or City Tour of Senic Victoria 2 hr.  They both seem the same except on the first one it ends at Tim Hortons for coffee and donut.  Any advice on which one if we really don't care if we get coffee and a donut! \

Or any other anyone might suggest?  Thanks 

Both tours seem to see the same things.  Tim Hortons on a tour seems to be strange.   Most locations are quite small and usually busy! 

I would take the O Canada tour.  The view from the top of Mount Tolmie is the only major difference between the two tours.

Quite frankly Madam "I don't give a {insert expression here of disgust}" !

Unless the port call at Victoria is of 6 or more - best - 8-10 hours this port call is a farce

just to satisfy the PVSA requirements.

Better to make the PVSA port call at Prince Rupert or Nanaimo - throw the anchor down

and pull it up and proceed to Seattle or other USA port.

Short port calls are doing nothing for the local economy and tourism - maybe keeping

a couple harbor workers employed with securing the ships lines on the dock and a 

pilot boat.

Foremost in my minds eye is the Butchart Gardens - which if there isn't an allotment

of 4 hours (more) to visit this site then maybe a bus tour of the downtown or a leg

stretching walk along the waterfront - maybe that Mt.Tolmie ?

Victoria has excursion opportunities - but they are wasted with less than sufficient

port time to use them !

Coffee and donuts - Bah Hum Bug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

I've been trying to work out what to do in Victoria as well.  We are lucky though, we are in port from 11am to 7pm.

This is our first (and possibly only Alaskan) cruise as we are from Australia.

Great you will have ample time to enjoy Victoria -

May I suggest the Butchart Gardens shore excursions !

Try and get one of the first tours - - -

Plan on doing some walking - - -

Upon arrival at the Gardens - get moving in a clockwise circle.

Reason I say get moving is to be in front of the crowd for better photo opts

unless you like a lot of people in your photos - - -

Have spare camera batteries or a well charged up cell phone and spare memory card.

With 4-5 hours at the Garden you will have a couple of hours left over to walk the

waterfront near your ship.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Quite frankly Madam "I don't give a {insert expression here of disgust}" !

Unless the port call at Victoria is of 6 or more - best - 8-10 hours this port call is a farce

just to satisfy the PVSA requirements.

Better to make the PVSA port call at Prince Rupert or Nanaimo - throw the anchor down

and pull it up and proceed to Seattle or other USA port.

Short port calls are doing nothing for the local economy and tourism - maybe keeping

a couple harbor workers employed with securing the ships lines on the dock and a 

pilot boat.

Foremost in my minds eye is the Butchart Gardens - which if there isn't an allotment

of 4 hours (more) to visit this site then maybe a bus tour of the downtown or a leg

stretching walk along the waterfront - maybe that Mt.Tolmie ?

Victoria has excursion opportunities - but they are wasted with less than sufficient

port time to use them !

Coffee and donuts - Bah Hum Bug

I sort of agree. That's why I stayed on the ship when we were there. Yes, the stop is there solely to satisfy the PVSA. Just dropping anchor and pulling it up don't work. Guests need to be given the opportunity to get off and explore. The cruises to Hawaii used to do this with Ensenada, stop long enough to sign the paperwork. There were complaints that this didn't satisfy the spirit of the PVSA, so the ships are required to actually stop and let guests go to town. Barring emergencies of course.

For those who either have "been there, done that" in Victoria or are looking for something a little different, Canadian Craft offers wine or craft beer tours. Hubby and I did the Cowichan wine tour in 2019 and really enjoyed it. We were actually staying in Victoria so not sure of the departure times coinciding with port calls, but certainly worth checking. Highly recommend! 

https://www.canadiancrafttours.ca/

On 11/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Suzi66 said:

I've been trying to work out what to do in Victoria as well.  We are lucky though, we are in port from 11am to 7pm.

This is our first (and possibly only Alaskan) cruise as we are from Australia.

Suzi66:  This may not be your only Alaskan cruise.  We live in Alaska and have been to Australia five times on both cruise and land trips.  We were actually on the Solstice in March 2020 on what would have been a B2B2B2B in Australian, New Zealand and South Pacific waters when Australia closed down.  

If this is your first time in Victoria I would also suggest Butchart Gardens.  The Royal BC Museum is also excellent.

• Like 1