Bringing canned soda on board -

dafish831

On 12/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, ray98 said:

I am going to start bringing my small soft sided cooler.  I can fill it with ice and it will last nearly 2 days, Carnival ice buckets will be completely melted in a couple of hours.

What type of cooler do you bring? I normally take my Coleman soft sided with removal liner, but we are flying this time and I can't carry it onboard.

TIA

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, kapcruiser said:

Can you bring on Can soda from a port that you dock in during the cruise?

On 11/29/2021 at 5:45 PM, Bgcruising said:

You can, yes.

I have done this before without thinking, grabbing various Mexican sodas at the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta.  Later, I wondered if I was just given a free pass that time.  Now I am wondering what the policy is.  Could you bring 12 per person at embarkation and refuel in port with up to 12 per person each time you pass security?  Experience anyone?

On 11/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, K&RCurt said:

We use a "Cooler Bag" we got at Costco.  It is designed to bring home cold / frozen food from shopping, but is larger than the "cooler" permitted by Carnival, doesn't look like a "cooler" so isn't questioned, can hold the 2 12 packs to bring onboard and will keep beverages on ice cold over 24 hrs.  We keep it in the shower and have our Steward keep it supplied with ice.  A pre-tip for the extra work has assured our drinks are always cold!

Brilliant.  I am officially gonna copy this idea and call it my own!

17 hours ago, ShamelesslyCruising said:

I have done this before without thinking, grabbing various Mexican sodas at the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta.  Later, I wondered if I was just given a free pass that time.  Now I am wondering what the policy is.  Could you bring 12 per person at embarkation and refuel in port with up to 12 per person each time you pass security?  Experience anyone?

We brought on a 12 pack of pop from one of our ports on a cruise to Hawaii. No one said anything. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

We brought on a 12 pack of pop from one of our ports on a cruise to Hawaii. No one said anything. 

Thank you, pcvtmom!  It seems that the policy applies to embarkation and every other time you pass security.  I just realized that the sodas I brought back to the ship in Puerto Vallarta were in bottles not cans.  Security didn't blink at them.  Not sure if bottled sodas are allowed to be brought on-board usually.

There's an entire thread about the lack of ice and/or ice buckets on Venezia. Hope it's getting sorted out, but we'll bring plastic zip bags to get ice from Lido just in case.

Sounds like we'll be ok bringing canned Coke out of the carton - sister doesn't drink Pepsi.

Any recent experience w/being confiscated?

55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

There's an entire thread about the lack of ice and/or ice buckets on Venezia. Hope it's getting sorted out, but we'll bring plastic zip bags to get ice from Lido just in case.

Sounds like we'll be ok bringing canned Coke out of the carton - sister doesn't drink Pepsi.

Any recent experience w/being confiscated?

I haven't read that thread but most ships will give out ice from any bar. As long as you are bringing on the allowed amount in your carryon there should be no question of confiscation.

21 hours ago, ShamelesslyCruising said:

Thank you, pcvtmom!  It seems that the policy applies to embarkation and every other time you pass security.  I just realized that the sodas I brought back to the ship in Puerto Vallarta were in bottles not cans.  Security didn't blink at them.  Not sure if bottled sodas are allowed to be brought on-board usually.

When Carnival sailed from San Juan, you could bring on as much soda AND WINE as you wanted. You just needed to keep getting off of the ship, going to buy more, and coming back through security. I miss those days.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:13 PM, Mandar13077 said:

What type of cooler do you bring? I normally take my Coleman soft sided with removal liner, but we are flying this time and I can't carry it onboard.

TIA

I have a rolling Coleman cooler the size of the usual airline carryon. (looks like a softsided carryon)

It has a hard plastic liner that goes inside. (so never leaks just dump out in the shower before repacking for debarkation)

I just pack it as my luggage and unpack as soon as it arrives to the room and get the steward to fill it with ice ASAP.

Ice up our two 12 pacls of drinks (that I just bring onboard in any old bag) and the cruise is started.

Been easily getting around the 12 x 12 x 12 rule since it was instituted.

91ZsZMUHutL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Coleman version of this Columbia bag from Amazon. (Coleman looks a bit more luggagey. A bit taller and thinner)

But you get the idea.

If you just fill the cooler with clothes or shoes or towels, etc. and send in with other checked luggage, you don't have to worry about port security stopping you from taking it onboard.

Edited by bguppies

22 hours ago, merinski said:

Does anyone know if Princess allows you to bring pop onboard, 

going on the Regal in January...

They did the last time I cruised with them. That was pre Covid. 

23 hours ago, merinski said:

Does anyone know if Princess allows you to bring pop onboard, 

going on the Regal in January...

Hi @merinski🙂

Yes. Cans or cartons, no bottles. Princess allows a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. One bottle of wine/champagne per guest as well. Info below. 

Below info from Princess/Located at (Click on link)

https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html

20230707-182904.jpg

🍹

On 7/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, ShamelesslyCruising said:

Could you bring 12 per person at embarkation and refuel in port with up to 12 per person each time you pass security?  Experience anyone?

Carnival's website used to explicitly permit bringing on an additional 12-pack per person at ports of call. They removed that wording at some point over the past few years, but on our December 2022 cruise on the Spirit we had no issue at all bringing additional 12-pack soft drink cans on board during port stops. Only once did security even give it a closer look, and that was just to make sure it wasn't beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1