On Board viking Star now.

PGI GUY

On the Star now until Dec 10th enroute to Panama. I am using my phone so expect short answers.If I can answer any questions,  I will do my best

Things are going well, however this is the 3rd cruise this crew has worked and some have not figured out how  to work as a team.  There are many crew  new  to Viking  and I am sure  they will get it together very soon.

6 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

On the Star now until Dec 10th enroute to Panama. I am using my phone so expect short answers.If I can answer any questions,  I will do my best

Things are going well, however this is the 3rd cruise this crew has worked and some have not figured out how  to work as a team.  There are many crew  new  to Viking  and I am sure  they will get it together very soon.

Fill us in on boarding - any issues with the Covid test paperwork or other health-related forms?  All smooth I hope.  (I am on the Dec 20 cruise on Orion - my first with Viking.)

1 hour ago, PGI GUY said:

Thanks for reaching out!

What is an estimate of the number of passengers on board? And does it look like you're going to be able to go into all the ports and do the excursions? I will be on the cruise following yours that goes out on December 10th

We are on the Star embarking Dec. 24, FLL to L.A.  I don’t know when you go through the canal, but would be interested to know how the commentary is/was as those on Orion were underwhelmed by what they got.  Also wondering what the hours of transit are.

Edited by SantaFe1

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks for the info. It wouldn't surprise me if Viking's crews have been shuffled. New ships coming on line, Sun to China, people deciding to retire, etc. 

The crew are on 6 month (usual in industry) contracts. They generally sign on with the same line, but not allways, may be Viking this contract, then Cunard, then Disney. 

Depends on pay, promotion opportunities and convenience for the employee. To a much lesser degree a chance to see a different part of the world. 

Viking employees are pretty loyal, but Viking is European hotel style rather than American , which some find a bit confusing at first. 

We got on board in FLL, no real problem, those that had the 72 hour PCR test were pulled from check in and were given a new Viking saliva test  in the terminal before being allowed to board the ship.

I was told that there were approx 630 passengers on this cruise.

I have no idea where current crew members came from or if they are long time Viking employees.

So far we have been able  to visit Mexico and  Belize  with out a problem..

Hand washing and mask wearing required. 

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

The crew are on 6 month (usual in industry) contracts. They generally sign on with the same line, but not allways, may be Viking this contract, then Cunard, then Disney. 

Depends on pay, promotion opportunities and convenience for the employee. To a much lesser degree a chance to see a different part of the world. 

Viking employees are pretty loyal, but Viking is European hotel style rather than American , which some find a bit confusing at first. 

The crew are hired using local Manning Agencies in the countries that supply most of the labour. Viking have a fairly rigourous, multi-level interview process. The crew can also recommend friends/family for interview. Some of the new crew will have served with other cruise lines.

The Viking crew have superior contracts to most other cruise lines and all hotel ratings appear to have similar length of contract. Viking contracts are 6 months and they normally know the ships, sign-on/sign-off dates & ports for 3 contracts ahead. Many other cruise lines have different contract lengths based on nationality, varying from 6 months (Europe) to 9 or 10 months (Asia), and crew rarely know contracts far in advance. When I worked for P&O/Princess, I received a call from London a couple of days before my leave expired, giving me a ship & joining instructions. Didn't know where I was going before the call.

Based on the terms & conditions and free wi-fi, Viking are a highly sought employer for other cruise line employees. With other cruise lines, a number of crew do move between cruise lines, but Viking crew tend to stay, with Viking crew retention being about 95% (pre-COVID). Some crew could move from Viking for promotions, etc. but probably very rare considering Viking's level of expansion and crew can move between Ocean & Expedition.

Viking also lost a number of employees, as during the shutdown, many found other shore-based employment that convinced them to give up the marine life and settle down to a family lifestyle. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are on the Star embarking Dec. 24, FLL to L.A.  I don’t know when you go through the canal, but would be interested to know how the commentary is/was as those on Orion were underwhelmed by what they got.  Also wondering what the hours of transit are.

Almost all of my cruise ship transits (about 20) start about 06:00 entering the canal and first lock around 06:30. Normally clear the canal about 16:00 to 17:00, depending on traffic. Some have taken a couple of hours longer, if we had to anchor in Gatun.

Heading in that direction, I'm out on deck around 05:00, when the ship is normally still outside the breakwater.

Edited by Heidi13

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Almost all of my cruise ship transits (about 20) start about 06:00 entering the canal and first lock around 06:30. Normally clear the canal about 16:00 to 17:00, depending on traffic. Some have taken a couple of hours longer, if we had to anchor in Gatun.

Thank you.  I asked this because our invoice and MVJ show us departing Colon at midnight.  I just can’t imagine that they would have us going through in the dark.  

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  I asked this because our invoice and MVJ show us departing Colon at midnight.  I just can’t imagine that they would have us going through in the dark.  

Best guess is they will head to the anchorage awaiting the morning convoy. No point in overnight in Colon, as it isn't a safe port.

• Like 3

Thanks, Andy.  This is just what I was wondering and looking for, although a bit disconcerting about Colon.  My husband has sailed since he was a boy and has always wanted to do the canal.  For me, it will be a history lesson.  On the 2019 WC we got from the Atlantic to the Pacific by going around Cape Horn.  It took at least a month.  So this will show what the canal is really all about!

Christine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thanks, Andy.  This is just what I was wondering and looking for, although a bit disconcerting about Colon.  My husband has sailed since he was a boy and has always wanted to do the canal.  For me, it will be a history lesson.  On the 2019 WC we got from the Atlantic to the Pacific by going around Cape Horn.  It took at least a month.  So this will show what the canal is really all about!

Christine

Enjoy the Canal, even with the number of times I have been through, I'm still one of the first out on deck.

I suggest starting out front of Explorers on Dk 7 for the approach to Gatun Locks and the transit up to the lake. For other locks you can try Dk 2 or back aft for a different perspective. I usually always do the "Cut" from a fwd deck, for the best views. 

Alongside Colon, staying within the port confines is safe, but I do not suggest venturing outside the port, unless on a Viking tour. On my first visit we were advised to go ashore in groups of at least 6. We walked out of the port and first sight was 2 locals on a balcony, staring at us, while playing with a gun and knife. We pulled a 180 and returned to the ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The crew are hired using local Manning Agencies in the countries that supply most of the labour. Viking have a fairly rigourous, multi-level interview process. The crew can also recommend friends/family for interview. Some of the new crew will have served with other cruise lines.

The Viking crew have superior contracts to most other cruise lines and all hotel ratings appear to have similar length of contract. Viking contracts are 6 months and they normally know the ships, sign-on/sign-off dates & ports for 3 contracts ahead. Many other cruise lines have different contract lengths based on nationality, varying from 6 months (Europe) to 9 or 10 months (Asia), and crew rarely know contracts far in advance. When I worked for P&O/Princess, I received a call from London a couple of days before my leave expired, giving me a ship & joining instructions. Didn't know where I was going before the call.

Based on the terms & conditions and free wi-fi, Viking are a highly sought employer for other cruise line employees. With other cruise lines, a number of crew do move between cruise lines, but Viking crew tend to stay, with Viking crew retention being about 95% (pre-COVID). Some crew could move from Viking for promotions, etc. but probably very rare considering Viking's level of expansion and crew can move between Ocean & Expedition.

Viking also lost a number of employees, as during the shutdown, many found other shore-based employment that convinced them to give up the marine life and settle down to a family lifestyle. 

Thanks.  I also heard from friends (officers onboard) that Viking had been far more supportive of their crew during lockdown than other lines. They spread out opportunities to be onboard during layover and were more generous in pay and allowances during quarantine.

I expect their crew advocacy ratings in home countries will be even higher than before with many who worked on other lines feeling encouraged to approach Viking for a contract based on what they saw.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I didn't find anything confusing on my first Viking cruise on the Sea Nov 1st.  What is the difference between "European Hotel Style" and "American". Thanks!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I didn't find anything confusing on my first Viking cruise on the Sea Nov 1st.  What is the difference between "European Hotel Style" and "American". Thanks!

Hotel staff in Europe and the US have differing styles of interaction with guests, and ways of working. 

Nothing wrong with either, they're just different. 

US trained crew can take a bit of time to adjust, hence sometimes a bit of confusion. 

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

(SNIP)

Alongside Colon, staying within the port confines is safe, but I do not suggest venturing outside the port, unless on a Viking tour. On my first visit we were advised to go ashore in groups of at least 6. We walked out of the port and first sight was 2 locals on a balcony, staring at us, while playing with a gun and knife. We pulled a 180 and returned to the ship.

On a trip to the Canal in 2017, my wife and I had the opportunity to ride on the Panama Railroad, and its bus excursions at the Pacific end.  But, Colon just looks like a scary place.  Our group was warned not to venture off on our own at the railroad terminal, and not to go shopping on our own at the drop off for the ship.  Armed security people protected the fenced walkway to the ship, etc.  No desire to go back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Hotel staff in Europe and the US have differing styles of interaction with guests, and ways of working. 

Nothing wrong with either, they're just different. 

US trained crew can take a bit of time to adjust, hence sometimes a bit of confusion. 

Could you elaborate further?  I’ve never been to Europe nor have I been on a Viking cruise. So now you have me curious. What specifically is different about how staff in Europe work and interact with guests?

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Could you elaborate further?  I’ve never been to Europe nor have I been on a Viking cruise. So now you have me curious. What specifically is different about how staff in Europe work and interact with guests?

Thanks!

Thank you for asking since I have the same question. Looking for a more clear answer.

• Like 2