How to get the best wine selections?

kjbacon

We are new to Oceania and are trying to figure out our best approach to a most important topic … drinking! We enjoy the occasional cocktail but are predominantly red wine drinkers that are partial to a good Bordeaux. Are the wine selections the same in both drink packages and the wine package? We will be able to choose our 6 bottles of wine that are complimentary in our suite and are they the same selections as the packages? We would rather not bring our own. Thanks in advance for all your help.

5 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We are new to Oceania and are trying to figure out our best approach to a most important topic … drinking! We enjoy the occasional cocktail but are predominantly red wine drinkers that are partial to a good Bordeaux. Are the wine selections the same in both drink packages and the wine package? We will be able to choose our 6 bottles of wine that are complimentary in our suite and are they the same selections as the packages? We would rather not bring our own. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Two different set of rules.

1. The two different OLife beverage packages are for wines offered from their “ by the glass” menu. Those selections are the same for everyone.

2. If your suite has the 6 bottle selection perk, you’ll be able to select bottles of wine, of higher quality, from a different wine list. 

For #2, you’ll need to consult with your butler as to which wines, from the list, are included in that package. Historically, there was a max dollar per bottle, but that number changed over time, so your butler will have to bring you up to date. Perhaps some one here has sailed an OS since restart and can provide that number.

22 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Beyond what you may get gratis based on your cabin level, you can also purchase the “7 bottle program” (from an ever-changing list). However, except for an occasional decent item (which will sell out fast), the list is primarily $10+\- (retail) wines. At $40+\bottle plus tip, not usually worth it IMO.

On the other hand, ask for the “bin end” list once onboard. At 25%+\- off for wines that include some nice items currently taking up space, this is usually a worthwhile “look see.” That said, we have to remember that some of these wines may have been kept in less than ideal conditions during 18 months of the ship being out-of-service.

As for the booze packages, both are the same when it comes to the single list of wines-by-the-glass. Again, we’re usually talking about $10-15 +/- value with any reasonably good selection often running out quickly on a “long” cruise.

Understanding that you’d prefer not to bring your own wine, I still suggest that you reconsider -particularly if your embarking from a city that will have a great (and readily available) retail selection of regional wines: Cape Town, Lisbon, Valparaiso, Sydney, San Francisco....

I should have mentioned that we did not take the O Life option. 

Am I understanding that the wine package has better wines than the two drink packages? 

The bin end list sounds very interesting indeed!

Thank you both for this helpful info.

24 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Am I understanding that the wine package has better wines than the two drink packages? 

Here is a rough comparison. Oceania has a roughly 3-4 times mark up, from retail, on their wines. So a $15-$18 retail bottle of wine will cost you $45-$60 aboard ship. The range of wines in the by the

glass menu range from about $9-$15 per bottle retail.

In the past, the OS bottle limit was around $90/ each, or a $25-$35 bottle retail. Therefore, typically your OS bottle selection is of a higher quality than the by the glass list.

46 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

O Life has a wine/beer at meals perk as one of the options. For $20/day pp, more you can upgrade to the Prestige package which is unlimited booze (including the same wines-by-the glass. You can also buy the Prestige package outright for $60/day pp (for the length of the cruise regardless of no O Life or choice of a different O Life perk)

The “seven bottle package” is a separate item from the above. Again, with few exceptions, these are relatively inexpensive wines. (However, when we’ve seen something like Shramsberg Mirabelle sparkling wine offered, we might buy the 7 bottle deal with only that wine in it instead of mix and match) on longer cruises. Compared to the wines-by-the glass, the actual “7 bottle” wine choices may be different but not much better. But, they are bottles (not glasses) and the approx. total $350 price (once tip is added) is good for some folks who may not be too picky about their wine. By contrast, buying a single bottle of wine on an O ship can run anywhere from 3-5 times the retail price at a BevMo or Total Wine. Add to that an 18% gratuity and then compare it to bringing a great $75 +\- NorCal Pinot on board and paying $25 corkage. That same quality wine (tip included) onboard could easily cost three times what would be your personal wine outlay. On cruises of a few weeks or more, that ain’t “chump change.”

As far as onboard buys go: IMO, The “bin end” list has the most variety and best “deal” for onboard purchases. But, again, you’re at the mercy of what’s on the current list and, if you see a winner (or 3 or 10 or...) on day 1 of your cruise (when getting that list is one of the first things you should do, buy them ASAP since the good ones will disappear (wine stewards will store your purchases).

But, all this said, I still prefer to bring my own wine and replenish in ports where good wine can be found. FWIW, we used to do the Prestige package primarily for the unlimited spirits and occasional glass of wine. But now, we do mostly longer cruises of a month +\- and we find that the combo of O Club et al. events, invited officer dinners and happy hour twofers take care of our booze needs and our combo of personal wine, bin end and occasional 7 bottle package works just fine

BTW, where O Life makes the most sense is if you’re going to take the tours option. I and others have posted why and the strategy for picking and adding the YWYW deal. Search here on the Oceania forums for those posts.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I second Flatbush.  Bring some of your own.  I'm primarily a wine drinker and I find Oceania's wine by the glass choices disappointing.  Also, as Said in previous posts, if you find one you like, good chance they will run out of it and they don't offer a replacement choice.  I love O but I don't understand why they advertise the finest food (and it is very good) but don't put much work into a decent wine by the glass choices.

This is the most recent Suite choices and wines if you want to substitute them for the liquor choices

In Suite Menu.pdf

27 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

@Flatbush FlyerAny wines there you would recommend?

Interestingly, the wines on the menu above looks like bottles of what you’d find on the wine-by-the-glass menu. Based on the California wines listed, it’s a good bet that most (if not all) of them retail for $10-15 USD max.

The spirits list is a little bit more promising. With the understanding that I’m pretty picky about spirits, I’d be okay with Bombay Sapphire, Mount Gay Eclipse Rum and Ketel One Vodka. However, I’d really prefer Hennessy Cognac to be VSOP,  El Tesoro Tequila to be Reposado and Maker’s Mark Boubon to be their “46” version. Of course, there’s far better booze than these. But, they are affordably (retail) better than what’s on that menu.

BTW, Some folks will tell you that expensive booze in a cocktail is wasted. Not true!

And I trust that you already know that I (and many other O cruisers) prefer to bring our own wine.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And I trust that you already know that I (and many other O cruisers) prefer to bring our own wine.

I always being some wine that I know I can drink.  I posted this list because someone posted that Owners suites would have a better selection to choose from but that's not true .

I had another list a few years ago and it was just as lacklustre.

8 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

We too prefer not to bring wine onboard. The bin end list definitely is worth a look see at your first dinner onboard.

Perhaps cruisingexpert can comment on if there was a bin end list on her cruise and the quality thereof. In the past, it has had some delightful finds and been lackluster.

Edited by pinotlover

First of all, thanks so much for all of this helpful information. I have to agree with Cruising Expert when she questioned how Oceania can be all about the finest food but aren’t offering good wine selections. It’s like she was reading my mind!

We do have the option of bringing wine onboard since we are sailing out of Miami and we could certainly replenish in St Barths but we very much prefer not to have to do that! I also don’t want to have to bring my own crab cakes or cheese trolley.

Thank you, Cruising Expert, for the complimentary wine menu you posted, even if it is disappointing. I’m also baffled by the illusion of those complimentary 6 bottles being a perk when there’s a good chance that we will buy the upgraded beverage package anyway! My husband is not at all jazzed by the thought of schlepping his bottle of wine with him around the ship.

Flatbush, you referenced a corkage fee of $25 …. Is that per bottle?

Has anyone sailed on Regent who could offer a comparison of the wine selections included in the Oceania prestige beverage package? We have been very pleased with Regent’s selections and the ability to request a glass or two (ok maybe three) of Bordeaux at any time.

9 hours ago, jeanine said:

Is it possible to purchase good wine in Hong Kong to bring on board? At a lower price than offered on Oceania! Thanks 

Hong Kong has an excellent selection of wines at prices typically better than what’s found in the U. S.

There is a huge shopping mall directly across the bay from where the ships dock. It is just up from the ferry stop and close to the subway station. In that mall is a big grocery store with an incredible wine selection. I’ve gone there on both cruises while in HK.

I like to go in a couple days early, stay at the JW Marriott and make the short walk over to the mall. Since that mall is fairly central to everything, we just make it the last stop of the day before heading back to the hotel. Then cab it to the ship when ready to embark.

Don't forget the Oceania Club wine. 

In all fairness I think there's some pretty good wines available, just not on the by the glass menu or included suite selections. You have to pay for them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Don't forget the Oceania Club wine. 

In all fairness I think there's some pretty good wines available, just not on the by the glass menu or included suite selections. You have to pay for them. 

And pay dearly. 
Even understanding the costly challenges of acquiring, transporting, storing and serving wine at sea, an up to 400% markup is a hard pill to swallow when you may want to regularly have good wine with dinner on a month long cruise.

I hate to say it but, some (not all) of the wines-by-the-glass are (IMO) swill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

My husband is not at all jazzed by the thought of schlepping his bottle of wine with him around the ship.

He will not need the schlep his bottle of wine around  simply  give it to your Butler to take it to the dining room where you will be eating that evening 

They will store any that is left  & bring it to you when requested at another dining venue

The Preismans blog  have  pre covid bar menus  so you can see what was/is included in the Prestige package

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm#Bar

Looks to me that the best solution for us is to take the prestige beverage package. We will hope for the best but be ready with the backups we have discussed on this thread if need be. Thank you, LHT28 for posting that bar menu link. There’s a couple of reds on there that we should be able to work with. Everyone has their point of irritation and this whole thing is not sitting well with the hubs. He couldn’t care less about spending the money for the owner’s suite but is put off by the corkage fee. It’s not unheard of for us to drink more than one bottle at dinner when we are on vac and no one has to drive. It’s feeling less complicated to take the chance on the prestige beverage package because I know he will want a glass of wine at an off time or location and will not want to get into anything more than asking for a glass of Bordeaux and saying thank you. Much appreciation to you all for all the helpful info.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Looks to me that the best solution for us is to take the prestige beverage package. We will hope for the best but be ready with the backups we have discussed on this thread if need be. Thank you, LHT28 for posting that bar menu link. There’s a couple of reds on there that we should be able to work with. Everyone has their point of irritation and this whole thing is not sitting well with the hubs. He couldn’t care less about spending the money for the owner’s suite but is put off by the corkage fee. It’s not unheard of for us to drink more than one bottle at dinner when we are on vac and no one has to drive. It’s feeling less complicated to take the chance on the prestige beverage package because I know he will want a glass of wine at an off time or location and will not want to get into anything more than asking for a glass of Bordeaux and saying thank you. Much appreciation to you all for all the helpful info.

Not sure where you folks are from or what your “Bordeaux” likes are but, the one wine-by-the-glass Bordeaux on the menu from the Preisman’s blog retails for $10-15 USD. I wouldn’t count on that being very enjoyable.

Since we’re talking about cruising, might it be possible that you could look instead at Pinot Noirs from certain regions where you may be visiting (in particular Pacific US as well as OZ, NZ, South Africa, Chile)? Of course, even then, you’re not going to find exemplary Pinot Noirs on those by-the-glass lists either.

As for the corkage, I’ll take my favorite $75+\- (retail) NorCal Pinot Noir plus the $25 corkage (which includes the18% gratuity) over the ship’s “equivalent” offering at $250+ (plus the gratuity) anytime.

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Looks to me that the best solution for us is to take the prestige beverage package. We will hope for the best but be ready with the backups we have discussed on this thread if need be. Thank you, LHT28 for posting that bar menu link. There’s a couple of reds on there that we should be able to work with.

Just to add  they do have other wine lists  where you can buy a bottle (marked up of course)

You only pay the $25 corkage fee on bottles you bring onboard   but if you are particular about what you drink  then I would bring a few bottles with you & see if you can pick up some along the way

JMO

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Just be aware that the wines on the by the glass menu changes 3-4 times per year. What’s on that menu you saw most certainly will not be what’s currently available. Additionally, the menus are different on the various ships. The actual menu may well reflect where the ship has recently visited. It does give you an idea of the quality of wine presented.