Victoria, BC DIY things to do suggestions?

Hello!

We're on  Carnival Alaska cruise stopping in Victoria, BC on Aug 16, 2022 from 8am - 2pm.  None of the ship excursions look interesting, besides we like to do things ourselves.  

Thought about maybe going to Public Market.  Any must see places in the market?

Any other suggestions?  

Appreciate your help!

Mary Jon

11 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

I suggest you walk into town wander around the Inner Harbour area; perhaps visit the BC Museum; take a pickle boat around harbour.  Then have lunch at one of the innumerable pubs in the area.

https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

https://victoriaharbourferry.com/

Thank you for these great suggestions for a nice relaxing day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Any other suggestions?  

Appreciate your help!

Mary Jon

As a local, when I saw this post I had to google because I thought to myself:

"There is a Victoria Public Market?"

We drive past it all the time and never stopped to investigate it.

My hunneh and I did a scouting mission for you today to the public market!

It is rather small compared to for example granville island public market in Vancouver.

It is 1.25 floors and it is mostly small places to eat currently and not so much in the retail therapy department.

Currrently (and most likely due to covid, and it being Sunday) there were about 4 stores closed.

Mostly food to be had.

The pie place which uses local produce that is ugly was sadly closed. Same with the other bakery.

We tried "the big spoon" for breakfast and it was very good. We also tried the pasta making place and the macoronie and cheese was good.

There is very little room for local artisans and such, just a line of tables in the middle of the hallway and about 2-3 retail spots that were small store sized.

There was some fun t-shirts, some jewelry, a kitchen gadget store, an Indian (India) clothing and crafts store. A mushroom tea table which was odd and that is all I remember about the retail portion.

The most interesting store for me was the chocolate store / school. It is hevay on education and fair trade chocolate. They currate their chocolate bars to award winners from around the world and fair trade ethical chocolate. There is no hershey or lindt or cadbury it is all small batch lot sized stuff.

Each bar goes for $10-15 per small bar but it is like buying a bottle of wine and each bar comes with its own little story. The owner acts like a chocolate sommelier.

Overall if you are wandering around the area then by all means stop in, but I would not target it as a must see.

Hope that helps!

......also thanks for making us play tourist in our own town!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

We are there in June on RCCL from 4-10PM.... seems like a weird time. Not sure what our options are at that time. Open to suggestions. 

Same options that I gave in my first answer although the Museum might close at 6:00 p.m.

The reason for the stop is to comply with the US Passenger Services Vessel Act.

10 minutes ago, Nursecruisers couple said:

Book High Tea at the Empress!  Very elegant and fun.

The Empress Serves "Afternoon Tea", rather than "High Tea", as the High Tea is a different meals and is served late afternoon/early evening. High Teas include a more substantial main meal, plus the cakes & scones.

In addition to the Empress, a number of other venues also serve Afternoon Tea. Personally, we prefer the White Heather Tea Room, in Oak Bay

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 10:16 PM, Lowyfer said:

As a local, when I saw this post I had to google because I thought to myself:

"There is a Victoria Public Market?"

We drive past it all the time and never stopped to investigate it.

My hunneh and I did a scouting mission for you today to the public market!

It is rather small compared to for example granville island public market in Vancouver.

It is 1.25 floors and it is mostly small places to eat currently and not so much in the retail therapy department.

Currrently (and most likely due to covid, and it being Sunday) there were about 4 stores closed.

Mostly food to be had.

The pie place which uses local produce that is ugly was sadly closed. Same with the other bakery.

We tried "the big spoon" for breakfast and it was very good. We also tried the pasta making place and the macoronie and cheese was good.

There is very little room for local artisans and such, just a line of tables in the middle of the hallway and about 2-3 retail spots that were small store sized.

There was some fun t-shirts, some jewelry, a kitchen gadget store, an Indian (India) clothing and crafts store. A mushroom tea table which was odd and that is all I remember about the retail portion.

The most interesting store for me was the chocolate store / school. It is hevay on education and fair trade chocolate. They currate their chocolate bars to award winners from around the world and fair trade ethical chocolate. There is no hershey or lindt or cadbury it is all small batch lot sized stuff.

Each bar goes for $10-15 per small bar but it is like buying a bottle of wine and each bar comes with its own little story. The owner acts like a chocolate sommelier.

Overall if you are wandering around the area then by all means stop in, but I would not target it as a must see.

Hope that helps!

......also thanks for making us play tourist in our own town!

Wow!  That's alot of help!  Thanks for going the extra mile and scouting it out for us. 

Your post is also a great reminder to me to look for things in my own hometown and nearby cities to try something new.  I love traveling to see different sites and have new experiences, but seldom try anything new and different in my neck of the woods.  Thank you! 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 11:30 PM, Heidi13 said:

The Empress Serves "Afternoon Tea", rather than "High Tea", as the High Tea is a different meals and is served late afternoon/early evening. High Teas include a more substantial main meal, plus the cakes & scones.

In addition to the Empress, a number of other venues also serve Afternoon Tea. Personally, we prefer the White Heather Tea Room, in Oak Bay

Thanks for the afternoon tea suggestions too!  I always go to afternoon tea on cruise ships but have never tried it anyplace else.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:06 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Wow!  That's alot of help!  Thanks for going the extra mile and scouting it out for us. 

Your post is also a great reminder to me to look for things in my own hometown and nearby cities to try something new.  I love traveling to see different sites and have new experiences, but seldom try anything new and different in my neck of the woods.  Thank you! 

I would also agree there is not much to the public market.  There is a place in the market with roast beef, turkey, brisket etc. that is very good.  Interesting place to visit but it is not going to consume a lot of time.

If your looking for local "artisan" product to take back I would pop into the Market on Yates   It is grocery store locks shop at that have a wide selection of imported and local artisan product.  Keep in mind you can't take fruit and meats across back into the US but can take chocolate and jams etc.

Victoria has lots of small one-of-a-kind shops. I would skip the tourist focused one and go into some of the ones that focus on locals.

Many of the building are turn of the century and it makes for a very pleasant area to walk through.   Chinatown is small but is the oldest Chinatown in North America and is great to explore.   

If your into government buildings.  Victoria is the provincial capital of British Columbia.  The legislature building is in the center of the inner harbour and there are usually fee tours offered that gather at the front door.   Canada is a commonwealth country and there quite a few differences to what you see in the US.

I like the Robert Bateman galley.  It is a small gallery on the top floor of the old Steamship Terminal Building in the inner harbour.  Bateman is a Canadian wilderness artist and the gallery has his work plus some revolving exhibitions.

Downtown Victoria has a lot of government offices and tech companies.  As a result the restaurants and pub tend to focus on locals as much as tourists.  That generally means they are better than some of the tourist focused areas.

Key thing to remember is the cruise ship dock is very close to the center of the city (called the inner harbor). Short 10-15 minute walk through James Bay neighborhood.  James Bay is mostly residential with older homes.  Very pleasant walk.         

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 4:24 PM, em-sk said:

I would also agree there is not much to the public market.  There is a place in the market with roast beef, turkey, brisket etc. that is very good.  Interesting place to visit but it is not going to consume a lot of time.

If your looking for local "artisan" product to take back I would pop into the Market on Yates   It is grocery store locks shop at that have a wide selection of imported and local artisan product.  Keep in mind you can't take fruit and meats across back into the US but can take chocolate and jams etc.

Victoria has lots of small one-of-a-kind shops. I would skip the tourist focused one and go into some of the ones that focus on locals.

Many of the building are turn of the century and it makes for a very pleasant area to walk through.   Chinatown is small but is the oldest Chinatown in North America and is great to explore.   

If your into government buildings.  Victoria is the provincial capital of British Columbia.  The legislature building is in the center of the inner harbour and there are usually fee tours offered that gather at the front door.   Canada is a commonwealth country and there quite a few differences to what you see in the US.

I like the Robert Bateman galley.  It is a small gallery on the top floor of the old Steamship Terminal Building in the inner harbour.  Bateman is a Canadian wilderness artist and the gallery has his work plus some revolving exhibitions.

Downtown Victoria has a lot of government offices and tech companies.  As a result the restaurants and pub tend to focus on locals as much as tourists.  That generally means they are better than some of the tourist focused areas.

Key thing to remember is the cruise ship dock is very close to the center of the city (called the inner harbor). Short 10-15 minute walk through James Bay neighborhood.  James Bay is mostly residential with older homes.  Very pleasant walk.         

Thanks for these suggestions!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, Nursecruisers couple said:

Book High Tea at the Empress!  Very elegant and fun.

I was perhaps interested in this but didn't see any ways to book this.  Their website really just shows hotel things.  Did you have a way to book this or do I need to call the hotel?  I'd love to see the hotel.  Is it within walking distance of the cruise port?  TYIA

5 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

I was perhaps interested in this but didn't see any ways to book this.  Their website really just shows hotel things.  Did you have a way to book this or do I need to call the hotel?  I'd love to see the hotel.  Is it within walking distance of the cruise port?  TYIA

Easy walk from the cruise terminal. Probably about 20 mins at an easy pace.

Here is the link to Tea at the Empress.  Now my opinion is its an overpriced tourist attraction, you can get much more reasonably priced teas elsewhere.  However if its a bucket list thing ...

https://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/tea-at-the-empress/

If you just want to wander the hotel, go into their Q Lounge and have a drink.

1 hour ago, cruiseryyc said:

Here is the link to Tea at the Empress.  Now my opinion is its an overpriced tourist attraction, you can get much more reasonably priced teas elsewhere.  However if its a bucket list thing ...

https://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/tea-at-the-empress/

If you just want to wander the hotel, go into their Q Lounge and have a drink.

Totally agree regarding the Empress being a tourist attraction.

When enjoying Afternoon Tea in Victoria, we prefer the White Heather Tea Room in Oak Bay.

Victoria Pedi-cabs for May 9, 2022 - Last stop on Carnival Freedom RT Seattle sailing May 3, 2022 - We only have an 8p-1159pm call.  $30 per person per hour - I'm doing about 2 hours.  Prompt response to email - website is victoriapedicabs.com - sounds great and just right to me.  

Questions? Concerns?
Contact us:
vpc.bookings@gmail.com
(250) 884-0121

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Hello!

We're on  Carnival Alaska cruise stopping in Victoria, BC on Aug 16, 2022 from 8am - 2pm.  None of the ship excursions look interesting, besides we like to do things ourselves.  

Any other suggestions?  

Appreciate your help!

Mary Jon

We ran into a guy with a bicycle rickshaw at the dock.  He was funny, informative and tireless and we turned the original $100 ride into about 3 hours ... all over the place.  We loved it.