US to cut Pre flight Test to DAY BEFORE flight

CruisinFinsUp

Just now, Fouremco said:

Why is everyone still chatting about a change in test type? While the news and social median speculated on a whole raft of possible changes, the only one that has been announced by the Administration today is the reduction in test time from 3 to 1 day before flying. No mention was made of further changes in the immediate future, and definitely no mention of test types.

It’s the media that’s everyone getting there information from. The Media love doing this and it works. There suppose to update on this from the White House today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

It’s the media that’s everyone getting there information from. The Media love doing this and it works. There suppose to update on this from the White House today. 

It's a pity that so many people didn't watch Biden's announcement to see what was actually said rather than read the ongoing speculation from news media who haven't updated either and continue to repeat old speculations.

Go to post # 40 if you want to view the announcement by Biden.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

bottom line....today we do not know how to proceed, but maybe tomorrow....

Quite the opposite, we know exactly how to proceed. Effective next week, get tested within one day of your flight. Antigen will suffice.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

he said NOTHING about which test, 

he said ONE DAY...

our embassy also says the same thing...no mention of which test, no mention of 24 hours..ONE DAY

https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/

bottom line....today we do not know how to proceed, but maybe tomorrow....

if you follow through that link you provided you get the answer

You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll wait till tomorrow for them to clarify their statements...I'm not surprised that they are not clear about it.. when have they been clear? Lots of room for interpretation as we have seen in this discussion group and others.

Edited by xcell

12 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Like everyone ever, I hate flying from Pearson but I guess it has its perks!

I wonder with the new rules if the timeframes for testing will adapt. We have a Covid test clinic just opened last week here in Niagara (SrxHealth - walking distance to our place!) that  started as a just Monday-Friday.  I just checked, and starting this Sunday the 5th, they are now booking (and walk-ins) for 7 days a week.

If it’s just an antigen rapid test you need you can book online for any of the Walmarts in Niagara for $20. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We have to connect all our flights through Toronto.  Works well for us and have never had an issue.  Yes, crowded..... to be expected.  But system and process works if we leave enough time between flights and we're patient...especially at the Nexus machines.  Haven't travelled in a while (understandably) but is it true they have a new process for nexus users which is quicker and less dependent on finger print recognition?  My finger tips NEVER fit on the pattern, and I hold up the line far longer than some would like...LOL.

I went thru Pearson terminal 3 Nexus arrivals on Nov 18. New machines that automatically adjust height and scan eyes.. no fingerprint. Entered Nexus Card in reader slot.. done in under 30 seconds.  Customs already had my Arrivecan App info and put green sticker on my passport. I didn’t have to show Arrivecan receipt.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

If it’s just an antigen rapid test you need you can book online for any of the Walmarts in Niagara for $20. 

The newly opened SrXHealth run clinic  is closer for us (walking distance) and is offering them at $25 for walk-ins and bookings. We're booked today (11:00) and it looks like we are squeaking in under the wire for our Sunday flight., just before the new requirement starts on Monday.

I didn't even realize Walmart was doing testing as well. Great that we have all these inexpensive and convenient options now. That would have been a great fallback if we had needed the "day before" test over testing at Pearson.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Our cruise is Jan 2 and now it is really in doubt.

all is closed jan 1, the pearson airport testing site opens at 5 am , our flight is at 8 am...so cant make it back on time....have to be in line 3 hours ahead...

quarantine for 7 days...so how can we get onto the ship...

returning, have to take PCR test at airport and quarantine for 3 days....

Just cant see how we can cruise under such conditions. 

I just read that the 'border rules' don't apply between Canada and the US.  Hope that's true for your sake. 

Antigen test is acceptable. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

What You Need to Know
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
Edited by DHP1

Well I was already reconsidering our upcoming cruise and now have much more to think and worry about LOL.

Currently booked on a direct flight and getting antigen test at 8 am in the morning for a 2 pm flight (and we have a backup home antigen test if required).  This I presume would meet the 'day before' requirement as well as the 2 day cruise boarding requirement (test on monday/board on Wednesday).

Coming home - we should be getting the PCR test onboard the day before disembarkation and flying out on a direct flight the same evening after getting off the ship...  sounds like we may now need to be 'tested' again either at our arriving airport or given a kit to do the test at home?  As for the 3 day isolation - one day is a 'weekend' day and as for the other two days we are both able to work from home so should not be an issue I hope?...and I guess we can continue to work from home if test results are 'late'!

Not sure if all this hassle is worth it though?  Vacations are supposed to be fun and STRESS FREE and this does not seem to be the case right now! 😞

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Well I was already reconsidering our upcoming cruise and now have much more to think and worry about LOL.

Currently booked on a direct flight and getting antigen test at 8 am in the morning for a 2 pm flight (and we have a backup home antigen test if required).  This I presume would meet the 'day before' requirement as well as the 2 day cruise boarding requirement (test on monday/board on Wednesday).

Coming home - we should be getting the PCR test onboard the day before disembarkation and flying out on a direct flight the same evening after getting off the ship...  sounds like we may now need to be 'tested' again either at our arriving airport or given a kit to do the test at home?  As for the 3 day isolation - one day is a 'weekend' day and as for the other two days we are both able to work from home so should not be an issue I hope?...and I guess we can continue to work from home if test results are 'late'!

Not sure if all this hassle is worth it though?  Vacations are supposed to be fun and STRESS FREE and this does not seem to be the case right now! 😞

My concern is that we may have to get Tested twice the same day. Princess offers PCR test at disembarkment and then we fly home at 2pm.  I have no problems with that however, you have to be quartine afterwards until you get your test results 

Edited by DHP1

Thread #90. further information 

A viral test tells you if you have a current infection. Two types of viral tests can be used: nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) and antigen tests. An antibody test (also known as a serology test) might tell you if you had a past infection.

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

Thread #90. further information 

A viral test tells you if you have a current infection. Two types of viral tests can be used: nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) and antigen tests. An antibody test (also known as a serology test) might tell you if you had a past infection.

thank  you for posting this....

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I just read that the 'border rules' don't apply between Canada and the US.  Hope that's true for your sake. 

It does apply for Canadians coming into US, but Canada has waved the rules for US. Of course all this can change at any time.

We could go on our cruise with one set of rules and come back with another.

• Like 1

Now looking for places that will be open on Jan 1 for the antigen test. We fly on the 2nd and sail on the 2nd. So far Viking has said, their rules stay the same to get onto the ship. So we are facing one set of rules to get on a plane and a different set of rules to get on a ship. 

But the tough part will be finding anything open on Jan 1. 

58 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

It does apply for Canadians coming into US, but Canada has waved the rules for US. Of course all this can change at any time.

We could go on our cruise with one set of rules and come back with another.

Apparently if you drive across you don't need the testing, only if you fly.

21 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Now looking for places that will be open on Jan 1 for the antigen test. We fly on the 2nd and sail on the 2nd. So far Viking has said, their rules stay the same to get onto the ship. So we are facing one set of rules to get on a plane and a different set of rules to get on a ship. 

We just came back from our test at a location that had been open for 2 weeks now. They are already changing their hours and going to 7 days a week from 5. You may not be able to book today for Jan 1, but if you think about it - you are not the only person on Ottawa taking a flight to the US on Jan 2. I expect there are many many flights to the US Jan from Ottawa on Jan 2. There will have to be a place open in Ottawa on Jan 1 for people to get tested or they will have to cancel all those flights. The new requirements and demand will  drive the need for some locations to offer testing Jan 1 (or Dec 25, etc)  even if you are not aware of them just yet.

21 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Many SDM stores are open on New Year's Day. Walmart too. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one for testing.

Alternatively, reconsider getting tested at the airport. While the airlines recommend checking in 3 hours in advance of your flight, it isn't mandatory. As early on New Year's Day is probably one of the less busy times, you shouldn't have any trouble if you are there at 5:00AM when they open for testing and making your 8:00AM flight.

Wallmart and Shoppers are not showing anything for Jan 1. Not yet. Maybe in a few days. 

Dont want to do the Airport at 5 AM, too risky.  The lines to get through customs, are huge. With the new development , they are even bigger. 

If we cant get it done on Jan 1, it will be a no go. We have the risk free guarantee and will act on it. 

But thank you for the ideas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We just came back from our test at a location that had been open for 2 weeks now. They are already changing their hours and going to 7 days a week from 5. You may not be able to book today for Jan 1, but if you think about it - you are not the only person on Ottawa taking a flight to the US on Jan 2. I expect there are many many flights to the US Jan from Ottawa on Jan 2. There will have to be a place open in Ottawa on Jan 1 for people to get tested or they will have to cancel all those flights. The new requirements and demand will  drive the need for some locations to offer testing Jan 1 (or Dec 25, etc)  even if you are not aware of them just yet.

Yes ,  we still have time for that to happen.