It's One Day, Not 24 Hours

Fouremco

There seems to be some confusion on this issue, but both Biden and the CDC are very clear that it is one day, not 24 hours.

Furthermore, the CDC has provided a very good explanation as to what a day means:

361091882_ScreenShot2021-12-02at5_51_17PM.thumb.png.6bf25b0b5b2a43fbebe8ffe8d7bea7df.png

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure and the 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses 1-day and 3-day time frames instead of 24 hours and 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day and 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. If you are not fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

Please note that the reference to 3 days remains on the CDC's page until it is updated as a result of today's announcement.

So those flying on a Friday, no matter what time, can be tested at any time on Thursday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I read on the website a “White House” Release Document and it states 1 day
The next question of concern is what type of test will be required? I also read that a second test maybe required within 3-5 days upon arriving in USA. 
Further information will be announced today however, I haven’t heard anything yet. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I read on the website a “White House” Release Document and it states 1 day
The next question of concern is what type of test will be required? I also read that a second test maybe required within 3-5 days upon arriving in USA. 
Further information will be announced today however, I haven’t heard anything yet. 

The media speculation about changing the type of test and the requirement for a second test disappeared after Biden's announcement. That's not to say that additional protocols won't be introduced by the Administration in the future, but not as part of this round.

• Like 1

I always expected forth coming changes and to change 3 days to 1 day is a little hassle for us however, it’s not really a big deal. Matter of fact, we were planning on getting tested the day before our flight anyways. Our final payment is due within 2 weeks and we are still planning on going on this cruise. We waited 2 years and I refuse to live in a bubble.  We are still going however, we will take precaution safety Covid measures along the way.  

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I always expected forth coming changes and to change 3 days to 1 day is a little hassle for us however, it’s not really a big deal. Matter of fact, we were planning on getting tested the day before our flight anyways. Our final payment is due within 2 weeks and we are still planning on going on this cruise. We waited 2 years and I refuse to live in a bubble.  We are still going however, we will take precaution measures allow the way.  

I realize that it will pose potential problems for some, but like you, we had planned on being tested the day before. 

We start our journey from the very wet west coast on a Monday and get to Toronto on Tuesday and then on to Miami that same morning.  So we could get tested on Monday before we leave home and not have to have it done in the Toronto airport?   That's if they will accept a rapid antigen test which I would hope they would as the PCR takes more than a day usually.  We already have to have one of those to board our ship on Tuesday so presumably can have that done on Saturday?  That requirement still says 72 hours, not 3 days.

7 minutes ago, jean163 said:

We start our journey from the very wet west coast on a Monday and get to Toronto on Tuesday and then on to Miami that same morning.  So we could get tested on Monday before we leave home and not have to have it done in the Toronto airport?   That's if they will accept a rapid antigen test which I would hope they would as the PCR takes more than a day usually.  We already have to have one of those to board our ship on Tuesday so presumably can have that done on Saturday?  That requirement still says 72 hours, not 3 days.

According to Biden, the new timing will start "early next week", so I'd assume that it will be in place for your trip. And testing Monday before flying into the US on Tuesday works well. There is no official  indication that the rapid antigen test will no longer be accepted, earlier news media speculation notwithstanding.

• Like 2

I had booked my test weeks ago and made it only the day before flying.   Just glad they didn’t come up with another hoop to jump through.   It’s been a very rough week for me.   My best friend and companion, the little guy with me in my picture, crossed the rainbow bridge unexpectly last Thursday evening.   I am not even sure I want to go anymore.   I miss him so much.   I’m forcing myself to go.   

1 minute ago, flyingandcruising said:

Ok, so explain like I’m 5. My flight is on Tuesday afternoon, I cannot get a test taken Tuesday morning? It has to be Monday?

The current requirements state:

within one day of departure

So yes you can get a test on Tuesday morning.

You can not get a test on Sunday night as that is MORE THEN 24 hours.

8 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

I had booked my test weeks ago and made it only the day before flying.   Just glad they didn’t come up with another hoop to jump through.   It’s been a very rough week for me.   My best friend and companion, the little guy with me in my picture, crossed the rainbow bridge unexpectly last Thursday evening.   I am not even sure I want to go anymore.   I miss him so much.   I’m forcing myself to go.   

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I grew up with dogs, and my wife and I have enjoyed living with one - sometimes two - for most of our 50 years together. As hard as it might be, I'd encourage you to go on your cruise and take advantage of the opportunity to bring back a bit of sunshine in your life.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Ok, so explain like I’m 5. My flight is on Tuesday afternoon, I cannot get a test taken Tuesday morning? It has to be Monday?

Monday or Tuesday. 

It's within one day, so the day before is good. 

8 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The current requirements state:

within one day of departure

So yes you can get a test on Tuesday morning.

You can not get a test on Sunday night as that is MORE THEN 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

Monday or Tuesday. 

It's within one day, so the day before is good. 

Exactly. This is why so many airports have opened testing facilities. You can go to the airport, get tested, and then fly out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

that is MORE THEN 24 hours.

With the new rule it is quite possible to get tested more than 24 hours before it is needed. I.E. test 8am Monday, fly out 9pm Tuesday; one day.

57 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Always tough losing a loved one. Keep busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

My best friend and companion, the little guy with me in my picture, crossed the rainbow bridge unexpectly last Thursday evening.   I am not even sure I want to go anymore.   I miss him so much.   I’m forcing myself to go.   

So sorry for your loss.😢 Our pets leave such a void in our lives when it comes time for them to cross that bridge.  Hopefully you'll still go on your cruise because I'm sure that's just what a doctor would order!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

I am so sorry for your loss! Take things one day at a time
I would suggest going on the cruise. Let others take care of you for the week. 

F6074AE6-56FC-4E6B-9AE7-594FC7A8F3F4.jpeg

Edited by Janedoe2012
  • Like 2

I had our tests booked 25 hours before our flight. I am not taking any chances that this 1 day becomes 24 hours so I rebooked.  I would be so upset if we got turned away at the gate for 1 hour.   I will sleep better tonight 😴 😂 

Personally I am glad that if there was going to be a change in travel requirements, changing the timeline on testing will be the easiest change to effect. Except for over the Christmas holidays where there are not many appointments for testing available, changing to getting tested the day before you fly should be fairly straightforward. We are flying on Dec 27, so had our testing booked for Dec 24, within the 3 days requirement. Once the rules changed I contacted Switch Health and they were extremely helpful and changed our appointments from their downtown location on Dec 24. to Dec 26 at their Halifax Airport location. Handled with a phone call. For those who are feeling the added pressure and are looking at cancelling, we could be staring down years of travel restrictions and we are all going to have to have the ability to adapt. Travel and cruising are so worth it!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

Thank you for the kinds words.    So many of my friends and family say I should go as well.  

Here is a better pic of him….   (Sorry for off topic….)

7DE27D3A-DD29-42A2-A4E4-B97DCB0B3DBF.jpeg

He looks like a gentle friend. I’m sorry for your loss and feel your pain..have  helped several pets across the Bridge.  It’s never easy.  Go on your cruise and think good thoughts about your lovely pet…good memories will follow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Exactly. This is why so many airports have opened testing facilities. You can go to the airport, get tested, and then fly out.

I was reading the Ottawa airport site and it says that there are no testing facilities available. They do list several pharmacies, etc that have testing. The airport is an international one,  is it true that no testing is available?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Personally I am glad that if there was going to be a change in travel requirements, changing the timeline on testing will be the easiest change to effect. Except for over the Christmas holidays where there are not many appointments for testing available, changing to getting tested the day before you fly should be fairly straightforward. We are flying on Dec 27, so had our testing booked for Dec 24, within the 3 days requirement. Once the rules changed I contacted Switch Health and they were extremely helpful and changed our appointments from their downtown location on Dec 24. to Dec 26 at their Halifax Airport location. Handled with a phone call. For those who are feeling the added pressure and are looking at cancelling, we could be staring down years of travel restrictions and we are all going to have to have the ability to adapt. Travel and cruising are so worth it!

I agree with you.  This change to the testing timeframe was easy to adjust.  Like you we are not willing to stay home for the indefinite future assuming travel will return to pre-pandemic times anytime soon.   Enjoy your cruise 😃 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We are concerned about leaving the testing this late.  
I had read earlier on that there were some issues with false positives on the faster result tests.  
If you need a retest with the more accurate test, what do you do? You are out of time before your flight.   
Or are the tests now better?  I guess we won't know which test is being used and how reliable it is until we are tested.   

For example, recently  PescadoAmarillo had this situation happen to her on her recent cruise, as she reported in her blog.    With my luck, we'd be in her boat.  🙁  We will book the day before! 

23 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I was reading the Ottawa airport site and it says that there are no testing facilities available. They do list several pharmacies, etc that have testing. The airport is an international one,  is it true that no testing is available?  

It's true. My hunch is that the small number of international flights out of Ottawa makes it a poor business proposition for any company that might jump at the opportunity elsewhere. Just look at the number of people on this board who live in the Ottawa area who post about flying through YUL or YYZ because they can't get a direct flight. In March, for dates even close to our cruise dates, WestJet offers zero direct flights to FLL or MIA. AC offers 1 (!!!) flight weekly. 

A month ago I might have said that with the tourist industry picking up, kids getting vaccines and able to go on March breaks, plus the general increase in the number flights, there was hope that YOW might get a testing facility in the not-to-distant future. Now, with Omicron, I really don't see that happening any time soon. Fortunately, we do have a lot of other options here in Ottawa, so it's not a major concern.